PDA

View Full Version : Can a rabbit live in a closet?

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 01:00 am
Okay, that title seems a bit out there, I know.

But here's the thing. We're thinking of moving, and we might have found a place, so I'm trying to figure out how I am going to set my room up.

The bedroom that I am considering has a pretty big walk in closet, with linolium flooring. The thought popped in my mind to take the door off, and use the space as a living area for my rabbit. Instead of having him in a cage, I could set everything up in the closet, and put a baby gate or something up for when I am not home, and then opening the gate for when I am home so he can come out and play. This is just a thought that popped up in my mind and I was wondering if it would work. Any thoughts on this?

GuineaPigPosse
06-25-12, 03:49 am
When reading the title of this thread, my first response was going to be "Would you like to live in a closet?" But after reading your idea, it doesn't sound bad since you would be taking the closet door off. I've never owned rabbits, so it's hard to really give some good advice. How big is the closet in feet?

mari11
06-25-12, 04:44 am
We started with our rabbit in a decent size cage at night and free range during the day but abandoned the cage after a few nights because he sat and rattled it. And rattled it. And rattled it. Once the door was off he was happy to head in for food (which contained the mess) and sleeping.
I don't know what your set up is at the moment but my main concern would be his chewing bits of the wardrobe. Mine mostly chewed cardboard boxes but also books if in reach and the loungeroom door when we made the loungeroom off limits (because they were chewing the timber frame under the couch) If he's not into chewing stuff, not such an issue.

Walk in sounds like a good size for part of the day, just keep in mind it's easier to expand an animals space than reduce it. Our rabbits resented the loss of the loungeroom and let us know in no uncertain terms, despite also having outdoor access most days too.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 03:59 pm
When reading the title of this thread, my first response was going to be "Would you like to live in a closet?" But after reading your idea, it doesn't sound bad since you would be taking the closet door off. I've never owned rabbits, so it's hard to really give some good advice. How big is the closet in feet?

I know the title makes this sound awful, but I didn't know how else to say it and I thought it would grab people's attention lol.

But yeah, I didn't get exact feet, but I'm guessing it would be about a 2.5 or 3x4 in grids?

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 04:06 pm
mari11 My setup right now is he has a cage for when I am not at home, and he has the ability to roam my (large) bedroom most of the day. So it's like a halfway free range kind of thing.

We're moving so I'm trying to set up how he will be in my room, it will still be the halfway free range, but I'm not sure if I should keep the cage, or transform the closet into a rabbit living area.

vania
06-25-12, 04:29 pm
As long as he has enough light, I don't think this is a bad idea.

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 06:25 pm
I don't think that is a bad idea at all. My rabbit in high school lived in my bathroom. I kept the door closed all day and when I was home I'd let him out. The bathroom did have a window so it wasn't like he was in the dark all day or anything. Just make sure he has lots of toys and activites to keep him from eating your baseboards or drywall. ;)

GuineaPigPerson
06-25-12, 06:34 pm
I know someone who's rabbit had his own room, he was litter trained and had free range. I think your idea is GREAT, one happy bunny that would be! But I would never let the bunny out of the closet when not watching 100%, a gate tall enough that he can't climb or jump over is the best option.

EDIT: Wait are you keeping your clothes in with him? Yikes I wouldn't do that if I were you. And also some sort of protection from the sides of the walls if he's a chewer.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 06:49 pm
As far as light goes, there will be a window in the room, that will let in natural light during the day, and of course a light if it's dark when I'm home, but he's used to having the lights off when I sleep.

Bubba isn't much of a chewer, except for on his toys that he has.

His own room isn't really an option because it's only a two bedroom house, and there are two people. Also, I kind of enjoy having him in my bedroom with me. He still gets a nice amount of space, and a ton more human interaction, than if he were to be in a separate room.

Also no clothes will be hanging in the closet. I for some weird reason don't hang my clothes in a closet, I prefer a dresser. I might use the shelving on top for storage, though.

Oh, and a friend of mine suggested putting down a rug or something so he's not on the linoleum, is that better? Or is it okay to keep him on the linoleum?

mari11
06-25-12, 07:05 pm
Maybe just keep the cage as is for a few weeks after you move and give him access to the cupboard, see what he does in there? I'm guessing he's toilet trained but I'd be a little wary of him nibbling at your clothes and shoes while you're not home - I don't own a quiltcover without at least a couple of small holes at the end because of my two.

Also would a baby gate be enough to keep him in? The top of our old bed was about that high off the ground and once we started moving in bed in the morning we'd hear thump thump thump THUMP as he came in and jumped up for a pat. Then settle at the bottom of the bed and nibble - hopefully yours is not a chewer!

If he doesn't chew and there are no clothes, sounds like an ideal space for him. A rug or dog bed would be good, mine both liked to sprawl out on the rug.

GuineaPigPerson
06-25-12, 07:07 pm
As far as light goes, there will be a window in the room, that will let in natural light during the day, and of course a light if it's dark when I'm home, but he's used to having the lights off when I sleep.

Bubba isn't much of a chewer, except for on his toys that he has.

His own room isn't really an option because it's only a two bedroom house, and there are two people. Also, I kind of enjoy having him in my bedroom with me. He still gets a nice amount of space, and a ton more human interaction, than if he were to be in a separate room.

Also no clothes will be hanging in the closet. I for some weird reason don't hang my clothes in a closet, I prefer a dresser. I might use the shelving on top for storage, though.

Oh, and a friend of mine suggested putting down a rug or something so he's not on the linoleum, is that better? Or is it okay to keep him on the linoleum?

I would put fleece or rug on it, not sure how safe rug is for rabbits though :)

mmas4
06-25-12, 07:16 pm
I actually house my pigs in a closet. There are windows on the opposite wall so they get light.

I have a vinyl floor and my rabbit does just fine. Its textured so there is some traction. In the old house there was a slippery floor so I put down blankets. Some people use rugs. I liked blankets because my old bunny was not litter trained and they were easy to wash.

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 07:21 pm
You wouldn't have to have a rug over the whole space if he doesn't mine the linoleum. Mine hated anything slick like linoleum and tile. It took them months before they would cross my kitchen and get into my bedroom in my first apartment. (They were housed in the living room). A bed or carpet would be nice for him to lay down on and be comfy if he doesn't chew carpet or rip beds apart. lol. Rabbits are so awesome.

mari11
06-25-12, 07:36 pm
Toffee didn't mind the lino but Fluffy had fluffy feet (like you'd expect) and she skidded and hated it. So we had a big rug and she stuck mostly to that and the bedrooms, which had carpet.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 07:40 pm
I have no idea what the difference between vinyl flooring and linoliem is, but I think they're similar. Right now we have a combination of tile and carpet and Bubba seems to be okay on both. He doesn't eat carpet, so I think a rug will be fine, or he might not mind the linoliem, I don't know he's used to tile, but I think they're similar. Also, thankfully he is fully litter box trained so I don't have to worry about pee anywhere. Yay!

It looks like we are in fact getting this place, so I hope my closet housing works for him. If this works I'm planning on getting a folding table or something and building my guinea pig cage on that, so like it won't take up much floor space and he'll have more room to play!

Inle_Rabbit I agree! Rabbits are awesome! :love: They're kind of annoying, but they're awesome. lol

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 07:41 pm
Toffee didn't mind the lino but Fluffy had fluffy feet (like you'd expect) and she skidded and hated it. So we had a big rug and she stuck mostly to that and the bedrooms, which had carpet.

Oh my gosh your bunny is beautiful! She looks like a Siamese cat!

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 07:48 pm
You might try a dog bed too for comfort. Here is my Fiz-Gig (RIP) resting on my dog, Rudy's, bed! Fiz though he was the boss of the whole house.

mari11
06-25-12, 07:53 pm
That is one comfy rabbit.

They make awesome pets because they're kinda midway between dogs and cats - sociable and smart and affectionate but also so soft and cute. And yeah, they rule the house.

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 07:57 pm
@mari11 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=15597) - I have always said that too. Rabbits are somewhere between dogs and cats. I had mostly mini rexes, they have such hard heads. They were so much fun and so funny! I had one rabbit, Jake who was bonded to Fiz, that use to nip guest's ankles so that the guest would move out of his Supream King of the Living Room way. He even told my dog what was what and the dog LISTENED! lol.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 08:00 pm
Inle_Rabbit, what a beautiful bunny! I think Bubba would love a bed like that! I'll have to look into getting him one!

Oh another kind of related question, just so I don't have to make a new thread, does anyone have any advice when it comes to moving with bunnies? Or even guinea pigs? I'm sure it's about the same, but I've never moved with them before, only cats which I'm not sure if this will be anything like that or not.

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 08:01 pm
Just move them. The rabbits might mark for awhile but they should stop after a bit. Guinea pigs are just happy if they have the same cage.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 08:02 pm
Oh my gosh, I agree!
I've never had a dog, but I've always thought Bubba was like one. But he's also like a cat. It's weird how in between they are!

Another thing is, everyone says how they're prey animals and everything but Bubba is the boss of the cats, who are supposedly the predators, but I mean, my cats are weird so maybe that's just them. lol

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 08:08 pm
Just move them. The rabbits might mark for awhile but they should stop after a bit. Guinea pigs are just happy if they have the same cage.

Thank you! But grr, I forgot about the territorial pooping. :/
Oh well, maybe it will be easier to clean on the linoleum.

Inle_Rabbit
06-25-12, 08:10 pm
Oh no! Jake, he was a grumpy old caster mini rex, use to boss my dog around like no tomorrow. When Jake started to show his age around 8 years old, he started to eat dog food. My vet said it probably wasn't all that bad for him and he could use the extra protein since Jake was now a senior citizen. So Jake was happily munching on Rudy's (a 2 year old sheltie at the time) food when Rudy comes over to eat. Rudy is fine sharing his food but Jake wasn't so fine with it and bit Rudy right on the nose! Rudy yelped and ran, tail between his legs, over to me. After a little reassuring Rudy crawled on his belly back over to Jake, rolled over exposing his tummy in a submissive stance until Jake came over stiffed him. Rudy was so grateful to be forgiven by the Supreme Living Room Overload he licked Jake's face until he hopped away flicking his toes. lol.

emeraldamykate
06-25-12, 08:25 pm
lol that's hilarious!

I thought when I brought Bubba home he might be scared of my cats, (they aren't scary at all, but they're predator and he's prey) so I was so worried, but it turned out that the cats are afraid of him! Well not exactly, but he is definetly the dominant one. He can even make my grumpy 11 year old cat leave the room lol