Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

food dish advice.....

luvmypigs81

Cavy Slave
i have a food dish that screws in but i dont like it. and regular cups my piggies dump over....and sit in the pile of pellets! :) (greedy little pigs!) its cute but annoying to clean all the time.... any suggestions for other tip proof/resistant options???? what kind of bowls do you guys use.....and also i see people put how much food they give in cup size.....my understanding was u just fill whatever bowl u use to the top is this wrong???

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
more than one of my boys love dish tipping, usually eight after i've cleaned the cage and put the previously spilled pellets back in the dish. i just recently bought heavy ceramic crocks/ramikins, souffle dishes (don't really know what they're called, sorry). they are the right size and pretty darned heavy

i actually posted recently about food amount, and many people seem to follow the instructions on the pellets they buy. i get KMS, and they recommend 1/8 to 1/4 cup daily (per pig). so i give mine 1/4 cup divided into two feedings. that works out to about 1 Tablespoon in the morning, and one Tablespoon at night.

one of the things you may want to try is weigh them weekly and see at what amount they hold their own weight.

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
My pigs like to dump the pellets and eat them on the ground.
For food dish types, I suggest a heavy one without a lip at the top.
My feeding is just about the same as jacqueline. I feed 2 tablespoons of pellets to each pig per day. I give one tablespoon in the morning and one in the evening.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
My two boys (RIP) were chronic bowl tippers. I ended up buying them a heavy bottomed ceramic dog bowl. My current girls have used a 'two bowl' cat dish (both ceramic and plastic) without any issues.

As for feeding, if they are adults 1/8th of a cup is the preferred amount per day, per pig. I split it up, the bulk getting fed to them in the morning with a little top up at night.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
My cavies also used to tip over their plastic bowl. So, I placed their ceramic bowl inside the plastic bowl (only because it fit that way), and they haven't tipped it since.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I give my pigs there pellets on a plate. They won't eat them out of a bowl. I give them 1/4 cup normally mid day.

luvmypigs81

Cavy Slave
ok thanks guys! i have been giving them oxbow young guinea pig food as they are still little about 4 months.....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.