Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Soon to be New Owner of a Piggy

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
we hope. We went to Petco today and the kids were looking at piggies, hampsters and the one chinchilla they had. My husband and I were talking about adopting a hampster because they had some for adoption, not for sell and they are cheaper to care for then piggies. One of the associates over heard us and said that someone was bringing in a guinea pig soon with the cage and everything she had, because she had become to sick to care for her pet. We told her we would be interested. I had 4 guinea pigs as a child and my husband and I had 2 before we had our first child. I am pretty sure I know how to care for the newest member, should we recieve him or her, of our zoo. But I would like any and all advice. We had the normal cage and a guinea pig ball for our piggies back then. We changed thier cages every week and fed them the guinea pig food and treats. I also know how to hold them. This guinea pig, or pigs will be my childrens pet in our homeschool class room. They also have 3 whites tree frogs, a 55 gallon fish tank, a cat and a dog. I care for all thier animals though I do force them to feed water and clean up after the dog and cat. I want them to be largely responsible for thier new pet as long as I am present. They are 6,5, 3 and 2. I dont want them ever to open the cage without me or thier father present. I know how to teach them that much. But all advice is welcomed. Thanks.

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
An exercise ball should not be used for a guinea pig! It can hurt their backs.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
I was reading that they were bad for them. When we had piggies almost 7 years ago we did not know that. We went by what the store said. I have since learned they are not a good source of info so I came looking for better info. Thank you.

An exercise ball should not be used for a guinea pig! It can hurt their backs.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
When we had piggies before we had 2 and when I was a kid we had 4. The lady at petco seemed to think it was one piggy but we wont know and we also wont know what kind of cage it comes with till possibly Wednesday. I will go to those websites though, because I want to know as much as possible when we do get the piggy and eventually his or her friend.

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
We are getting the 2 guinea pigs tomorrow they are coming with a 3 ft cage, food and bedding.

theguineapigguy

Cavy Slave
a 3ft cage should be perfect actaully!!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

theguineapigguy

Cavy Slave
I thought the Minimum for two pigs is 7.5 sq ft and the preferred for two was 10.5 sq feet??
well i know a 2by 4 grid cage is the standard for two or minimum... but I had just assumed that the width is also 3ft with would be a 3by3 witch seemed fine to me.. I may be wrong tho..

mommy4kids

Cavy Slave
Any info would be appreciated. I can tel you more tomorrow when we get the cage. They are giving us toys, hay and fleece for bedding also. I dont know if the cage comes with a lid but if not they are going in my school room as I homeschool anyway and will be able to be shut away from the dog and cat and kids when I am not present.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.