Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Convincing parents for a C&C

tntpros

Cavy Slave
I have been trying to convince my parents for a c&c and they think my piggies will chew on the grids and ruin all the fleece I put in it. They say my piggies are messier than all the guinea pigs who have c&c's with fleece. I try to tell her that all guinea pigs are pretty much the same with being messy and everything. She just doesn't believe me. Does anybody have any ideas for convincing?:)

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I agree about showing her the website. She can even come on the forum and ask people about their personal experiences. That way, it's not just you telling her. She has "independent" people backing up the information.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I second what mufasa said, you can get a bunch of people to write posts about why c&c and fleece are better, personal experience etc. I would gladly back it up :)

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I agree with all said above. If you don't mind my asking...Who will be paying for the upgrades?

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
The homepage of this site (Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home) has plenty of reasons for getting a large cage. Show her some pictures of the cages and let her know that it usually costs only $50 or less to set up a nice spacious cage that will last the lifetime of your guinea pig. You can probably save up your money by babysitting, petsitting, or doing extra chores for your family or neighbors.

About fleece...having a larger cage means the mess is much more spread out rather than concentrated in a small area and thus producing more smell. If your guinea pigs are in a small pet store cage at the moment and your parents think they are "messy," chances are they won't be when they have a nice large cage. I've used fleece with so many guinea pigs and none of them have been messy or destructive with it to the point where I want to use disposable bedding.

I have only one guinea pig who chews the grids. It's not likely yours will, but I suppose it's possible. There are ways to stop it if they do. They probably won't, though.

Good luck!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Keep showing her this site pictures. but dont bug them too much parents hate it. Offer to pay for it yourself, help around the house more. It took me 6 months but my parents are finally letting me get a c&c cage. you could use bedding like carefresh or aspen if she wont let you use fleece

Jacksthemouse

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are flexible. You can build a second level for the sake of keeping supplies in a lower one, if not for ramps etc, and they aren't exactly super-expensive like store bought cages. Guinea pigs will be happier in a good-sized C&C cage too, especially given free reign to.. well, not have to live in their own poo and wee for starters!

If a piece of the cage needs replacing for whatever reason, it's just a case of keeping spare grids on hand (those that can be used for making runs also). You can also use leftover fleece to make extra goodies such as a cosie/bed (and your own/mum's sewing projects, if any), whereas with bedding it's just ..bedding, it doesn't really adapt to anything else, and it's pretty expensive as well as wasteful to use when you have to use (and throw..) lots of it. Fleece doesn't need throwing out every time, just washing once every week I believe?
Also given that the right preparations are done to wick the fleece, it shouldn't be 'ruined' at all.

Hope you can convince her! :)

tntpros

Cavy Slave
My mom will be buying the c&c cage. I've shown her this whole website and pictures of people's cages and everything. I think she is all up for it now. Thank you so much for the help!:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.