Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Keeping my piggies healthy while I am sick?

mjlesy

Cavy Slave
I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to see what others thought. I went to the doc today and he tested me for strep (which I do have). I am off work for the next 10 days (which I am not impressed with as I am a teacher and that is the rest of my year). I was just wondering if I wash my hands before handling my piggies and their food and again right after, will they be alright? I'm trying not to handle them while I am sick - just sticking to the basics like getting their hay, veggies and pellets and cleaning out their cage daily. I wish I could talk to them, but I've not had my voice for the last two days. I want to keep my babies (all 5 right now) safe! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry about it. There are a few diseases that can affect both humans and guinea pigs, but it's not all that easy for them to catch one. As long as you're not coughing or sneezing on them, the hand washing should take care of any problems.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Viruses are species specific and rarely jump to other species except for Swine flu, avian flu but bacterial infections are. You need to be very careful not to expose the guinea pigs. Thorough hand washing and not coughing near them are important. I'd handle them as little as possible until you're no longer contagious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.