Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

stacey

roxie1973

Cavy Slave
hello everyone, my names stacey and i have some questions on how to save our baby piglet

Gohan

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Welcome! :D What questions do you have? I'm sure we could help answer them!

roxie1973

Cavy Slave
i have a baby piglet thats is not eating it is the runt of the litter we figured that they were pushing him away to where he wasnt getting enough food so we took him from mom so he wouldnt die so now i have to force feed him with a bottle .i feed him electra lites for animals mixed with water and mashed potatos is there anything else i can feed him or do so he will put some wait on and how do i know how much to feed him by hand ?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I've copied this from the other thread you wrote in.
Do NOT feed him any potatoes. You need to take the pig to a cavy savvy vet as soon as possible to figure out what's causing him to not eat. There could be an illness which quickly can become lethal if left untreated, pain or a genetic issue behind it.

When it comes to handfeeding, Oxbow Critical Care is highly recommended. If not available, you can feed a pellet mash with a high quality pellet like Oxbow, Kleenmama or Sweet Meadow.

Please read through these links, as well as the rest of guinea lynx when you have time:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
[URL="https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html"]https://www.guinealynx.info/vet.html
[URL]https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html
[/URL][/URL]

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Please stop feeding him by hand! Baby guinea pigs don't need to be bottle feed, soon after birth they can eat hay, pellets, veggies, and such, as long as he is eating that, he is fine and does not need to be bottle fed.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Please stop feeding him by hand! Baby guinea pigs don't need to be bottle feed, soon after birth they can eat hay, pellets, veggies, and such, as long as he is eating that, he is fine and does not need to be bottle fed.

Incorrect. It's extremey important to closely observe the pups early on.
If the pup isn't gaining enough weight, is losing weight or isn't thriving and eating enough during the first weeks, hadfeeding is absolutely needed. Though carefully as they are more likely to aspirate food. But yes, pups can and should eat everything the mother eats from the time they are born, nursing is a supplement only.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I meant that as long as he is eating solid food normally and gaining weight, he does not need to be fed through a bottle. Sorry I worded that oddly.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Wait, are you talking about a guinea pig baby (a pup) or an actual baby pig (a piglet)? I've not heard of anyone feeding a guinea pig with a bottle but people do feed piglets with bottles. So that's what has me confused.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I get the feeling the OP is talking about a piglet, as in baby swine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.