Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Ramp Smells.....

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

I recently redid the ramp between 2 cages for the girls. They love it...... perhaps too much......

I started with just a nice carpet. I realized their poos got mushed into it SUPER fast. So I wrapped it up in leftover fleece. I then realized that got wet very fast. So I sewed a U-Haul pad + fleece combo pad into it where it got the most wet.

But, I have found that while poos are very easy to clean off of the ramp, halfway through the week it begins to smell. I clean their cage every Friday, as well as the carpet, but by Sunday, it smells like Piggy pee. Now, you have to get on your knees and smell the ramp right near the bottom to smell it, but it is strong. The girls used to lay down there, but not as much anymore.

So I have a few questions:

1: Is this detrimental to their health?

2: What can I do to prevent it from getting wet?

3: My ramp is made of grids, so it is very well ventilated. And I started using an air purifier today. So will those factors help at all?

4: What else could I use for the ramp besides what I currently am?

___

Thanks all!

;)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Make more ramp covers, and just change them out more frequently. That's what I do to the covers of my step stools.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Make more ramp covers, and just change them out more frequently. That's what I do to the covers of my step stools.

You mean like how I said I use the U-Haul Pad combo?

pinky

Cavy Slave
You mean like how I said I use the U-Haul Pad combo?

When I had a ramp, I made it out of grids and had a piece of coroplast laying on it. I made fleece pads to fit the ramp and attached stitchable velcro to one side of the fleece and to the fleece pad I kept on the second level to hold the ramp fleece in place. It worked well and I could change the ramp piece as frequently as I needed to. Oddly, though, my ramp piece rarely got soiled. They never seemed to poop on it.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone!

I made 3 sets of different pads, hopefully I am only going to need to use 2 of them throughout the week. But I made 3 just in case, and even if they don't need all 3, I can use 1 under the girl's hay rack. My grandpa will sew them tonight or tomorrow, I just got them cut to the dimensions I needed (15 inches by 15 inches, or 1 grid in size)

Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.