Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

cats

emily piera

Cavy Slave
i no its natural for cats to hunt things but shouldnt owners only let them stay in there yard ,yesterday 4 out of my 6 gunieapigs got out of the cage and have dissapeared ,and today the 2 i had left were a mum and her baby anyway some how the cat got into the cage and tried to get my guniea pigs fourtunatly the babe had a little space the cat couldnt get into so he went there and the mum was trying to protect him and now possibly has a broken let in is very saw :sad:hope fullly she will make it through

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
if there out side cats then no. you cant control where they are. and you should be supervising the pigs out side at all times.. and dont let your pigs out side anymore until you can get a better play area for them.. if pigs are escaping and cats are getting in then theirs a problem. the cats are just fallowing instance.. also you need to take the pig to the vet if you honestly think her legs broken.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
i no its natural for cats to hunt things but shouldnt owners only let them stay in there yard

If someone lets their cat outside, there's no way to control where the cat goes. It's not like a dog that can be on a tether or behind a fence.

yesterday 4 out of my 6 gunieapigs got out of the cage and have dissapeared

Were the pigs outside without supervision? NEVER leave pigs outside without supervision.

and today the 2 i had left were a mum and her baby anyway some how the cat got into the cage and tried to get my guniea pigs fourtunatly the babe had a little space the cat couldnt get into so he went there and the mum was trying to protect him and now possibly has a broken let in is very saw :sad:hope fullly she will make it through

Okay two days in a row of things like this happening should give you a very good idea about why it's dangerous to leave your pigs outside unattended. Please keep your pigs inside if someone cannot be out there at all times.

What is it that causes you to believe that the leg is broken?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Yes, the cat should be indoors; however, the pigs should also be safely confined (not housed outdoors). If the cat bit the pig(s) you MUST get them to a vet. Small animals (mice, voles, squirrels, birds) do not survive a cat bite puncture because the bacteria in their saliva is deadly. A man in Oregon was bitten by a stray cat and is now confirmed to have the plague. You need to be doing more than hoping he makes it through. He needs vet care now, and after that you need to be sure your surviving guinea pigs are safe.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have cats, unlike dogs people don't tie cats up in their back yard as cats know their home and where it is. It is no the cats fault as it is just their instance, just like piggys hid because they are prey animals cats hunt. If your piggies are outside you should be supervising them at all times. (;

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.