Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New too!

Cool~Cavy~Momma

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say hi and tell you all that I've had so much fun looking through the posts and the Photo Gallery of all your neat cages and your "babies". I think I have a new obsession.

Have a fantabUlous night!

Cool~Cavy~Momma

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! Do you have any pigs right now?

Cool~Cavy~Momma

Cavy Slave
RubyPiggie2 said:
Welcome to the forums! Do you have any pigs right now?

Whoops... guess I could have given a little more info. huh?

I have just acquired a 9 month old boar from our children's youth pastor at church. He brought him to church and we were the lucky family. We have never owned one before but have pet sat for a couple of weeks and found them to be so much fun. I am so excited and so are the kids. My oldest is already designing how she would like to make Sid's cage after looking through the gallery here.

I would like to get another one, but not sure if its a good idea. We've checked out some books from the library and have been scouring the net for info. and it sounds as though I can keep two boars together but to slowly introduce a younger one to my older. I also know that I need to keep them separated for a few weeks.

If anyone has advice on introducing a new boar to Sid... or would like to share their experience I would love to hear from you.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
Most books have very wrong information in them, so if you are looking for the best information you can find it's on :
www.guineapigcages.com and
www.guinealynx.com

You will want another guinea pig, guinea pigs are very social animals and need a buddy (well most). If you are looking for how to introduce them, here's a link on how to introduce and why get a companion.
www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Hope I helped.

TurboPiggy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 boars. We got one at a time about 7 weeks apart. After the quarantine period, they took about a week to really get used to the idea of one another. My older one, Turbo, still pushes Scooter around just to make sure he knows who's boss. Rank has now been established and I think they actually enjoy eachother...in fact I know they do.
Don't believe anything you read about two boars living together being a BAD idea. I think it works out way more often than not.
There is always the option of rescuing/adopting a spayed female or a non-spayed sow and neutering your boar.
Regardless, your guy definitely needs a buddy and you should definitely rescue/adopt.
Good luck, and welcome!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You will find a lot of good information here.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
You could also try to find your boar a spayed lady friend. Some rescues spay/neuter thier piggers now so poeple won't be silly and try to breed them.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have lots of fun :)

Peaches

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the site. I have 2 boars as well. After using the tips here and a buddy bath, my two get along quite well.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
:cool: :) sorry, testing the smilies!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Don't go overboard with smilies. CavySpirit does not like them used much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.