Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Coughing, Hiccups, Choking noises?

JLU51306

Cavy Slave
I am a first time Guinea Pig owner, purchasing a young female Guinea Pig no older than one year of age.

The first day I got her, I set her up in a home-made modified clear bin cage, with two 4X6 inch caged gaps on the sides, and a 9x12 inch caged gap on the front. The lid has over one-hundred pencil wide air holes. Although the lid only stays on at night due to curious cats. Does this seem like proper ventilation? If not, I will get to work on a new cage ASAP.
(Sorry for my digression.)

On her first day, I heard a cough/hiccup like sound once or twice. I didn't think too much of it. However, on her second day (yesterday), I heard it two or three more times. Once in the morning, and twice while she was having play-time on the floor. That night (last night in fact), she made the noise three times in repetition while in side her hideaway.
I am unsure as to whether or not these noises are coughing, hiccuping, or choking noises.
She has also sneezed about ten times in the span of the two and a half days I've had her.

I've checked her eyes and nose, and they are neither running. Her droppings, which have been numerous, and they aren't diarrhea-like, though they are soft to a degree, but still retain their pellet shape pretty well. Since yesterday she has been eating and drinking a lot.
Her first day I fed her timothy-pellets, two baby characters, and a few small chunks of romaine lettuce. That evening she got a very small bit of an orange as a treat. Yesterday she had timothy-pellets, about eight or so small pieces of romaine lettuce, one small chunk of red bell pepper, and a small slice of a strawberry. Last night she repetitiously left her hideaway, probably over a dozen times, to eat timothy-pellets, and drink water. At a few instances she even dozed off at her food bowl.
Also, she has of course had unlimited access to timothy-hay from day one.

For her first day, her cage had a moderate layer of the average small animal bedding. Yesterday, during play-time I took the opportunity to switch her bedding out for a fleece blanket that had been washed and dried without any harsh detergents or fabric softeners.

From what I am aware, there is not an exotic veterinarian in my area for at least fifty-miles. If need be, I will take her to a VCA hospital in Anchorage. Is she in need of a vet visit? What could these symptoms be most commonly described as, if anything at all?

JLU51306

Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention that her cage currently is only temporary until my next pay-check this Friday. I'll be getting her into a much larger cage soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.