Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Had my boy snipped today!

Riot101

Cavy Slave
Hey all

I had my boy neutered this morning and can go an fetch him in a few hours time!

Does anyone know what the after effects are? Do they get sick or grumpy? Can anyone help me pls?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My male acted completely normal when I got him home. There seems to be two differing points of view regarding antibiotics after neutering. My vet felt that effects of the antibiotics would counter his recovery so she didn't prescribe them. Big mistake. He developed a small abscess after 3 weeks. If I ever neutered another male, I'd insist on an antibiotic, along with a probiotic. He was prescribed Metacam for pain. My vet didn't charge me for any follow ups and Rigatoni recovered. Keep his cage immaculate. I used and still use fleece and changed it multiple times a day. You can dilute chlorhexidine with water to a light blue color and rinse the suture site once a day. That will also help to keep the area bacteria free. Don't use bedding that might stick to the wound.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.