Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from Missouri!

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
I am K, and live in Missouri with my daughter and partner. We are also home to 3 parrots, a dog, a turtle, and our newest additions are Chelsea and Gretel, the guinea pigs. They are approx 6 years old, and were the class pets at my daughters school. They may be returning as class pets in the fall, they may move on to another family, or they may just stay with us, we will have to see what happens. After reading through this forum, I have realized their cage is way too small, so I am researching where to find the best deals on cubes and coroplast. Then I just have to find space in my house!

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
I know that K-Mart has a brand of cubes salled "STOR" (the size of these grids are perfect) . They were about $20 and came with 23 grids in each pack with a bunch of connectors. Also, for coroplast I reccomend FastSigns. On their website you can find a place near you. Call them. If they do not have any in stock, they will order some and it should be there the next morning. That's what happened for me! I got a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet for around $20. It was very fast and convenient. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. But please don't let those pigs go back to a classroom. Guinea pigs are totally unsuited to being classroom pets. And if they're six, they deserve to live out the rest of their lives in quiet and comfort!

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Actually, this is a really small private school, and the kids fed them fresh fruits and vegetables, held them, and let them out to exercise every day. If they go back, they will go with a bigger cage, they will come home on the weekends or breaks, and they will be well cared for. Other than having a cage that was too small, they had a great life at school. All the kids were taught to handle them gently and be respectful of their home, and they were always supervised.

But don't worry, if the teacher next year is not up for the task, they will stay with me or go to another school family who can care for them.

Is six old for gp's? I have read varying life expectancies...some places say 6-8, some say up to 12 years. I had guinea pigs when I was a kid, but of course, my Mom was the main caregiver, and I don't remember much except cleaning out their cages.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A six-year-old is a senior pig. Most don't make it that long, a very few will make it to eight or older.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks. I'm going to email my daughter's teacher and find out exactly how old they are. If they really are six and most likely at the end of their lives, I will just keep them. I am still going to get them a bigger cage, though.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The average lifespan of a guinea pig is 5-7 years. They are usually considered senior by age 4. So yes, at 6, the pigs are definitely senior.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update that I heard back from the teacher, that Chelsea and Gretel are five years old. So hopefully they have a good two years with us, especially with a cage upgrade.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hey there and welcome! I wouldn't expect that they will only live another couple years - it's possible they'll be longer lived than is typical - I have a good friend whose pig lived to nine. It definitely bodes quite well for them that you're (hopefully) getting them out of that classroom environment and enriching their lives with a bigger cage and all the great info there is to learn here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.