Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Safe adhesive ideas???

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
I have a ramp thats half grid-half petstore ramp. The petstore ramp has little treads on it to "help" the pigs get up. Not the case. They slip and slide all over. So I know hot glue is unsafe to glue some fleece or fabric on, and I can't tie it on anywhere. Any other suggestions ?

PiggyPride

Cavy Slave
You may be able to do hot glue if your parents allowed it, and if you don't want your guinea pigs to get to it, just do it very carefully so their little noses can't get the chew on it! Also, after you glue or tape it, you can put a little extra piece of cardboard or Coroplast on it, to cover it up. Hope this helped!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
When I was gluing together a hiddy hut for my fur babies (Which I still, to this day haven't finished) I just used a very tiny bit of the glue that is non-toxic and men't for little kids' crafts. It works very well to keep stuff together, I would just watch to make sure they don't chew at it.

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
Oh parents are not the issue, haha. I just thought the hot glue wasn't good for the guinea pigs? But if it's alright to use than great!! Just gotta chew-proof like always. But thank you it did help:)

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
@PigPandemonium So Elmers glue would be safe? as long as it's non toxic? okay, good to know!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I'm not completely sure, however I'd guess it's better than hot glue or any other glue, since those aren't made for little kids who like to taste things.

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
True, well I'll give these ideas a try!

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
If you are using fleece I imagine you want to make it so that the fleece can be removed to clean. I would try using velcro, you would need a piece on the ramp and another on the bottom of the fleece. If not velcro then maybe a double sided tape.

Cavylier

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could glue some coroplast or something else stiff over the original ramp and then cover the whole thing with fleece? Sort of wrap it around the ramp and keep it together with binder clips? That might make the glue harder to get at. :)

EDIT: Velcro is also a good and safe idea - would be super easy to clean.

jswozzle

Cavy Slave
OOH! Yea, velcro is goood, totally forgot about cleaning! Binder clips would be a good idea if I glued, but I think the ramp is a little too curved for them to stay in place well. Thank you all!!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I would try Velcro. I don't know if it would be able to adhere to that type of plastic surface, but it would make the fleece/fabric you secure to the ramp much easier to clean too.

pinky

Cavy Slave
When I had an upper level, I made fleece pads to fit the dimensions of the ramp. The fleece pad had fleece on two sides and cotton batting in the middle. I sewed velcro on teh top edge and on the fleece pad that fit the upper level. All I had to do was velcro the pieces together and it held the ramp piece in place. I made three sets and washed them with my regular fleece. If you don't have fleece in the upper level, you can get sticky velcro to attach to the top of the ramp and still have sewable velcro on a fleece pad for the ramp.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.