Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Litter Training

ohiocountrygirl06

Cavy Slave
I was wondering how one would go about litter training their guinea pigs. I have two males.

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
i put hay in my litter box and while they eat they do their business, also if what is in the litter box is different to their bedding, such as fleece for bedding and shavings for litter box they will sometimes just go their.

ohiocountrygirl06

Cavy Slave
Hmm...it seems like they've picked one area to go in and it's usually by their food. I wonder if I should try litter training them or just leave them the way there are.

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
try putting a bit of hay in their litter box

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
You can't really litter train guinea pigs, though the best thing you can do is to make going in the litter area appealing. Guinea pigs go to the bathroom most where they eat and sleep, so you can put the hay and pellets in the litter area, which will make them go there more, just make sure the litter area is big enough for your two pigs to be in at once if you are only going to have one.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
.it seems like they've picked one area to go in and it's usually by their food. I wonder if I should try litter training them or just leave them the way there are.

Leave them the way they are, but put the litter pans where they're now peeing and pooping. Make the sides low, so they won't move off somewhere else.

You can't really make them go where YOU want them to go -- the best you do is catch most of the output.

piggielover78

Cavy Slave
Hi....I have been wondering if I could and should litter box training my babies. But I will take your advice and hopefully this will help with some of their mess... =-)

Paulo

Cavy Slave
...then you cannot train them....they wll train you where they want to go!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.