Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Alternatives Alternative Border

metalheavy

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! So I'm hopefully adopting two young pigs soon and I'm still figuring out the cage. I have a 4x3 grid cage with foam tiles underneath topped with a shower curtain liner, towels, and fleece. My only issue now is figuring out what to put inside the cage as a border. I'd like something cleanable and easy to remove, any suggestions?

I'd like an alternative to coroplast, I don't want to buy a huge sheet just for the border.

Do you really need a border? If you are using fleece, you might not as there isn't much to be kicked out.

Do you really need a border? If you are using fleece, you might not as there isn't much to be kicked out.

I'm more concerned about them getting pee/poo outside of the cage and chewing on the bars. I've never had guinea pigs before, is this something I should wait and see if my particular ones do before I install something?

They are WAY more likely to chew on the coroplast than on the bars. I do have coroplast but could probably do without it. But some people do say their pigs tend to play golf with their poos...LOL. You might want to wait and see.

could you pull up the shower curtain to line the sides and cover that with fleece?

could you pull up the shower curtain to line the sides and cover that with fleece?

I was hoping for something a bit easier to use that I wouldn't have to unhook every time I clean or something that I could permanently attach to the cage.

You could try this out, it's pretty cheap at walmart:
(broken link removed)
It rolls out easily and covers the sides for my cage and I never see my guinea pigs chewing on it.

I'll check that out, thanks!

I am not sure if this is a option for you, but it cut my cage cost dramatically. In my home town there was a group advertising for a bird show on signs made from that material. I waited patently until the event was over. Since the signs were dated I knew they were not going to be used again. After I justified it with myself I drive around collecting the signs. In a few short stops I had plenty. Ha ha. I have seen stuff on the news and newspaper around here about these and the political signs being a issue because no one ever comes back to them. I now use it as a game looking around as I drive to work and back!!! Heck I am making my part of the world a little better!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.