Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shedding like CRAZY!

WendyK

Cavy Slave
After last week's heat, my rabbit has launched into a HUGE shed - like tufts of fur are just falling right out - is this OK ?- any hairball precautions to do ahead of time? He has shed before but nothing like this (the heat we had here was record breaking).

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Are patches of fur acctaully falling out? That would be cause for concern.

If you are worried about hairballs feed some of Oxbow's papaya and pinapple tablets.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
No - one of the things I do when I groom during a shed like this is to gently pull on tufts (don't think I'll do this any more although I have seen it demonstrated on a website somewhere) - but these tufts are NOT just falling out on their own - I do give Bubba (name) papaya a couple times a week.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
That is normal. Most rabbits "blow" their coats like that.

I highly recommend brushing the rabbit 2-3 times a day until he is done blowing his coat. This will help keep him from ingesting all of that hair.

WendyK

Cavy Slave
Thank you - it's just so weird!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I also would reccomend brushing multiple times a day, as well as providing plenty of grass hay to prevent blockages from hairballs. I bought a rubber curry brush (made for cats) at a petstore and it works excellent on short-hair rabbits. Beware of the metal spike brushes marketed for rabbits, these can cause cuts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.