PDA

View Full Version : On Behalf of some of the GOOD petshops.

CaviesRDABest
06-18-05, 07:37 am
Well, really, one that I live near.
It has been recently taken over, and the previous owners didn't sell animals.
This petshop sells everything- literally. They have the most massive Cages, seriously. they had about 2 x 3 for 2 guinea pigs, only (okay I know that breaches minimum requirements on here, but come on, it's a whole load better than some pet shops I could mension!), They sell vetbeds, all differant types of feed, hay, and bedding. They sell all differant types of housing, bowls, littertrays. They have earwipes, eyewipes, shampoos, cage cleaners. they have treats. They have squashed the aisles together so their is wide enough room for people to move around the cages without knocking them over. There is soooo much more than that, which I cannot add because my fingers are hurting, but I do think that their are better pet shops out ther than you give credit for.

I do agree, by the way, that there are about 1,000,000 times more bad pet-shops, though, and this I cannot abide. But my local, really do care for their animals!

Love
Tania
x

CaviesRDABest
06-18-05, 07:38 am
Oh And i don't think I made it clear, they sell 2x4 cages in their as well! (but for a high-price so I think it is better to stick to making your own!)

VoodooJoint
06-18-05, 09:48 am
it doesn't matter if the GPs live in a veggie filled paradise in that pet shop. Here are the bigger problems you are overlooking.

-where do the GPs come from? Probably breeders with filthy living conditions and ill cared for animals.

-the GPs are going to be sold to anyone with money to buy. They will be treated a objects. Many will go into inadequate homes.

-are the GPs seperated by sex? If not how many people will be buying a pregnant GP.

-the purposful breeding that takes place to supply the pet shop adds to the overpopulation problem and takes homes from GPs sitting in rescues and shelters.

daftscotslass
06-18-05, 10:16 am
My local pet shop cares for animals. They made a decision not to sell them any more. They sell all the things I can't get anywhere else, like Carefresh. Anything they don't stock that is obtainable, they will order in. They stick a sign in their window that says: "The following animals are available from the local SSPCA...."

THAT is my kind of pet shop, and the one I try to support.

Slap Maxwell
06-18-05, 10:20 am
All pet shops that sell animals are bad. Period.

happie gurl
06-18-05, 08:33 pm
Well, not to argue or anything..but where do you think that the gps from sheters come from? Probalby the same places the petstore ones do, exept someone bought them from a petstore and didn't want them, so gave to a shelter.
Sorry, but thats pretty mush what I think of when you guys say this stuff.....correct me if I'm wrong..

VoodooJoint
06-18-05, 08:40 pm
Sigh...I'm tired of explaining this but here goes.

Person #1 buys from a petshop...the petshop makes money and orders 5 more GPs from the breeder to replace the one sold. The person gets bored with the GP and dumps it at a shelter.

Person #2 wants a GP. They can buy from a pet shop...giving the petshop more money or they can adopt the GP at the shelter...the petshop gets no money.

Do you see how this works? By adopting we are discouraging the petshops from getting in more animals from breeders because they aren't selling as many.

The breeders will end up breeding less because they have no buyers. Less GPs are subjected to lives in horrible housing, bad food and having litter after litter until dead.

RubyPiggie2
06-18-05, 08:47 pm
Voodoo, we need to make something like that a freaking sticky. We're always explaining it to someone. XD jk...

VoodooJoint
06-18-05, 09:11 pm
Way ahead of you Ruby...I will be writing something and stickifying it soon.

widallas
06-18-05, 09:17 pm
After reading these forums for awhile, I've got to say you make such a good point. The best petstores are those that spend their energy, time and retail space on selling good pet products. If you have animals for sale on site, then the care and upkeep those animals receive is maintenance -- keeping them alive and healthy enough to sell -- not quality care. It doesn't matter where they get the animals from, if they are sold FOR A PROFIT, then money is at the root of the matter, not the welfare of the animal. I adopted two pigs from a rescue for less money than I would have spent at Petsmart, and I'm happy knowing that the 'profits' went into taking care of other animals and not towards gross monthly sales.

carrotflavour
06-19-05, 04:35 am
-where do the GPs come from? Probably breeders with filthy living conditions and ill cared for animals.

can I just add that not all breeders treat their animals badly. I know 2 small breeders (I know their daughters) and they treat their animals well.

carrotflavour
06-19-05, 04:37 am
Just to add that I'm against the sale of GPs in petstores. I'm just saying the pigs arent always ill-treated.

CavySpirit
06-19-05, 11:01 am
Just to add that I'm against the sale of GPs in petstores. I'm just saying the pigs arent always ill-treated.

I think the point needs to be continuously made that no one is saying they are -always- ill-treated. I think that is one of the standard misconceptions people have about why pet stores are a problem. Sure it sucks when there are the crappy pet stores that don't care or have no clue, but good or bad store, that is just the tip of iceburg--and it's one big honkin' iceburg! :)

carrotflavour
06-19-05, 12:20 pm
Aye, but to is say that they're 'Probably breeders with filthy living conditions and ill cared for animals.' is generalising breeders a bit too harshly.

VoodooJoint
06-19-05, 05:31 pm
Any breeder that would sell their animals to a pet shop is an irresponsible breeder. It doesn't matter if they take good care of their animals or not. They ultimatly do not care what happens to the animals they create.

John4216
06-19-05, 09:14 pm
Breeding is dangerous for ALL animals so anyone that breeds animals for a profit knowingly puts the life of the animal at risk. Look at how many women and children died in childbirth before modern medicine hit....Breeding is breeding no matter what spin is put on it and I have yet to see any breeder that has a logical reason for breeding beyond profits. It would be like me forcing my wife to stay pregnant and give birth repeatedly so I could sell the children. Only difference is that the human part offends people so it is illegal where as the pet part does not as much. A responsible pet owner has their pet fixed (or ensures they can not get pregnant). Gee, Bob Barker has been preaching this message for many many years on the Price is Right show and logically it makes sense.If someone could show me a logical reason for breeding beyond profit then I would change my stance but so far I haven't seen one.

cavy-cool-crazy
06-20-05, 10:23 am
I bought both my pigs from pet shops. I was 14 when I got Charlie, and now, being 16, I've grown up a lot and realised that if I were to try adding a cavy to my mini-herd (2 pigs), to adopt from a rescue.

I'm very ashamed to admit that I was very poorly educated on caring for guineas before I got Charlie in 2003...I relied on my Mum to teach me everything she knew. I was agoraphobic at the time, but I just about managed the trip to the pet shop and saw this gorgeous scruffy piggy in a large hutch/covered run (about 3 ft by 3 ft in size) and thats how I got Charlie.

If people start "having a go" at me for buying from pet shops, please bear (sp?) in mind that I volunteer at a local rescue and do all the cleaning out jobs on a weekly basis (I'm the longest serving member of the volunteer team), AND I'm fostering guineas who desparately need some intensive one-to-one training for a month. My goal is to start my own guinea pig holiday boarding home one day, and perhaps even expand into a rescue.

I think that little lot shows how much I've learnt over the last few years.

PS. I'm totally against the breeding of any animal, especially cavies.

cavy-cool-crazy
06-20-05, 10:28 am
Also, I don't think there is such a thing as a responsible breeder. They can do as much "research" as they like, but I can't imagine that they will never know absolutely everything about breeding cavies, or any other animal for that matter. People who put an inncocent animal's life at risk are irresponsible people, whether they realise it or not.

bromers
06-20-05, 11:51 am
I think many people go to petshops because of the price. At my local petsop it costs £12 for a guinea pig, at the shelter closest to me it costs £40. some people arnt willing to pay that.
I also have one more point if everyone stops buying from petshops and gos to shelters wont the breeders stop breeding. Doesnt this them mean when all the guinea pigs in the shelters are gone because the breeders will stop breeding them, there will be no guinea pigs left and then the one's alive will eventually die. Doesnt this mean that guinea pigs will die out.

Stop me if im stupid, but i think what i am saying makes sense.

amfeider
06-20-05, 11:57 am
no actually because idiots accidentaly breed their pets and that will keep the shelters open.

Access
06-20-05, 12:18 pm
Don't forget about hidden costs. Sure the pet store pig might cost you only 12, but then you have the vet checkup, the cost of de-miting, possibly a pregnant pig; and then on top of that your pig might die. By the end of the whole affair you'll be wishing you'd spent a little more up front rather than hundreds worth of vet bills down the line.

In my town there is one 'good' pet shop called 'the daily pet', they sometimes have 1-2 pigs but they are not for sale; they work with one of the local shelters and occasionally display the pigs who are up for adoption. I have chatted with the managers of other shops that do sell animals and they say the real money in the business is not so much selling the pigs since that is a one-time sale; it's in the return customers buying consumables like hay, pellets, carefresh, etc. But in this case, the shop kept selling animals since it got people into the store, especially families with small children who would then often make a purchase and become repeat customers.

Bromers, I wouldn't worry so much about that; the fact that there are evil people, be them criminals, politicians, dictators, mercenaries, small-animal breeders -- it's part of the human condition. We lock up, hinder, stop, etc. as many of these people as we can, no matter how good of a job we do, we will never completely eliminate all the breeders; the best we can do is hope to do is to move that balance from where it is now (massive overpopulation) back to some kind of balance where pigs aren't bred for profit. Like the type of breeding that zoos do, to try to 'bring back' species that are on the endangered list to where they can be re-introduced and such.

DaCourt
06-20-05, 02:17 pm
There are many people who get their first, and maybe even second pig from a store. But once you have been exposed to the problem, you then have a choice as to what to do next time. You obviously have paid attention to the people here, and have learned something. That is the key. Being open to the bigger picture.

My first pig was from a store too. Then a researched and now have 2 pigs from the rescue I now work with. Boy have we come a long way in 2 years.

I bought both my pigs from pet shops. I was 14 when I got Charlie, and now, being 16, I've grown up a lot and realised that if I were to try adding a cavy to my mini-herd (2 pigs), to adopt from a rescue.

I'm very ashamed to admit that I was very poorly educated on caring for guineas before I got Charlie in 2003...I relied on my Mum to teach me everything she knew. I was agoraphobic at the time, but I just about managed the trip to the pet shop and saw this gorgeous scruffy piggy in a large hutch/covered run (about 3 ft by 3 ft in size) and thats how I got Charlie.

If people start "having a go" at me for buying from pet shops, please bear (sp?) in mind that I volunteer at a local rescue and do all the cleaning out jobs on a weekly basis (I'm the longest serving member of the volunteer team), AND I'm fostering guineas who desparately need some intensive one-to-one training for a month. My goal is to start my own guinea pig holiday boarding home one day, and perhaps even expand into a rescue.

I think that little lot shows how much I've learnt over the last few years.

PS. I'm totally against the breeding of any animal, especially cavies.

Peaches
06-20-05, 02:21 pm
Agreed. Before coming to this site, I didnt even know there were such things as cavy rescues. Shelters around areas I lived usually only had cats and dogs and the occasional bird.

The point is you learned and changed your ways. You are never to young or old to do that. It is the sign of a maturing person to be able to do it and I'm glad you are one of them.

Lyndsay
06-23-05, 01:44 pm
I think alot of people myself including have gotten a pig or two from a pet store. I was young, 14 as well, and I knew next to nothing, about the whole pet store process. I've done alot of stupid things in my life in that sence, but there was more behind it than bad choice. In the small town where I live, our shelters do not deal with small animals, or anything other than dogs, and cats. Therefore getting on from a shelter was out of the question. As well I up untill a couple months ago didn't know there was an established rabbit breeder in Thunder Bay as well. We have no rabbit or cavie clubs, or any small animal shows and such. We rely on the import of our animals. We have one chain of pet stores that don't actually sell animals, and I applied to work there last week. The animals that are here, and make it to the store come from the shelters, or breeders, mostly accidental. Small animal that makes it to a shelter is either put down, or givin to the pet stores. Now I'll admitt I bought a cavy from the pet store, and lucky me *knock on wood* I havn't had a single problem with him for 2 years I've had him. The cage conditions were horrible, and I wanted to save at least one of them. Anyone that comes across this awsome website, and still goes to a pet store hasn't read well enough. Althought I would never give Smudgee back to the store, I do regret supporting thier horrible behaviour.

Guinea_Gal
06-23-05, 02:43 pm
Breeding is dangerous for ALL animals so anyone that breeds animals for a profit knowingly puts the life of the animal at risk. Look at how many women and children died in childbirth before modern medicine hit....Breeding is breeding no matter what spin is put on it and I have yet to see any breeder that has a logical reason for breeding beyond profits. It would be like me forcing my wife to stay pregnant and give birth repeatedly so I could sell the children. Only difference is that the human part offends people so it is illegal where as the pet part does not as much. A responsible pet owner has their pet fixed (or ensures they can not get pregnant). Gee, Bob Barker has been preaching this message for many many years on the Price is Right show and logically it makes sense.If someone could show me a logical reason for breeding beyond profit then I would change my stance but so far I haven't seen one.

my grandmother breeds standard poodles. she has only 1 litter about every 3 or 4 years. she also shows her dogs as well. she never advertises in the paper, instead, she is passed on by word of mouth because those who have purchased dogs from her are so happy. now my granmother is not rich, infact, she isn't vey well off. she owns a small dog grooming business, but it does not provide very well for her, yet she still manages to give her dogs the best care possible.

when she breeds dogs, she does it to better the breed and always keeps one as a show dog for herself. she very rarely has litters, and when she does, she makes almost no money even though she charges a lot, because of how much money she put into caring for the puppies.

she treats them like her kids and i have seen her turn many people away before finding a family that she knew would care for the dog.

yes there are a lot of horrible breeders interested in money, but i wanted to give you an example of someone who is not.

bromers
06-26-05, 10:51 am
I like the petshop I live near.
They sell everything apart from animals. They do sell fish but before you can have the fish you have to show them a picture of your tank. Also you have to bring in a sample of your water so that they know the fish will be o.k. They are realy expensive fish aswell thats supposed tostop careless people from buyinh them. I have a fish who was twice as expensize as bromers.

CaviesRDABest
07-02-05, 03:54 am
Ok, sorry, It's just wanted to make a point that some people who do it, do it porperly, though alot of others don't. Sorry if I caused offence... I like pet shops that don't sell animals. I think all pet shop owners begin it withe a passion for animals but than the money goes to their heads and they don't look after the animals properly, after that!
sorry again,
tania

alfieiheartu
07-02-05, 06:58 am
There is one petstore I got my best piglet from and she was great! She had no health issues when we got her. I also do not know any rescues around here and do not like the idea of finding one of the internet.

alfieiheartu
07-02-05, 06:59 am
The petstore I go to is owned by the woman and her daughter and they love animals the little girl know's everything about them.

suzilovespiggie
07-02-05, 12:34 pm
My 2 origional pigs came from a women who is very involved with 4H. She breeds for 4H and gives the children a "show pig" to work on for a year and then show at fair. My pigs were the "wrong color" and could not be shown. They were a brother and sister pair.
The boy was strong and healthy, his sister small and sickly. She died a very young age, less than a year. I still did not know of this site. I went to a showing of GP's for the fair that was coming up. so I could get another friend for Harold. The children sell GP's for 5-10 dollars. I bought 2 of them. These again are the pigs that can't be shown. The pigs that are for sale for show or breeding purposes are abit more expensive. I too have bought in the past from a petstore.
Then I found this site and learned what a ignorant owner I was. I loved my GP's but had them in a way to small cage, was not feeding near enough veggies, or enough hay. I do have a great GP vet who said my pigs were healthy but they were not living up to the best that I could give them. (not his words mine). I found out about breeders. I looked up the sites for adoption and was stunned at the amount of
GP's in shelters and who needed homes. It had never accured to me GP's would be put to sleep like cats and dogs. We have 2 PetsMarts in Tucson. They sell
gp's for 31 dollars. Money has nothing to do with it. After all the info I have learned
adoption is the only way. Where I live there were no piggies to be found. Thru the
sites for adoption, I found pigs available in Phoenix, 3 1/2 hours from me. I drove there to save 2 pigs. I don't regret it. What I do reget is all the pigs that will die because stores keep breeding, people keep buying. Pigs get thrown away. People don't care.
Well I care. This site cares. Keep preaching the big picture. Adopt! Adopt! Adopt!
Do not buy from stores that sell animals!
By the way what's a sticky?
I know this is long. I am sorry. I just feel so strongly about this.

Slap Maxwell
07-02-05, 12:47 pm
A sticky is a thread that stays at the top of the forum.

Very well said, suzi.

daftscotslass
07-02-05, 01:24 pm
There is one petstore I got my best piglet from and she was great! She had no health issues when we got her. I also do not know any rescues around here and do not like the idea of finding one of the internet.

Come on... it's hardly ebay. You see pictures of a pig that you like the look of online. You go and visit it at the rescue. You discuss over the phone or in person with the rescue what the arrangements will be, homechecks may be organised or a visit with any existing pigs set up. THEN the guinea pig MIGHT come home with you. It's not as if they Fed-Ex them to you or anything.

Rescues are the way forward. If you contribute to a pet store by buying their livestock, you are just helping continue the problem. Regardless of how good you think your store is.

RubyPiggie2
07-02-05, 09:47 pm
I know this is off topic, but this Alfie person keeps talking about how she can't trust ANYTHING on the internet... Soo if she dosen't have a compatible vet, she won't look it up, won't look up rescues or shelters or anything of the sort, or won't buy any food/hay/supplies off the internet.. What is SO bad about the internet I ask?

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 07:38 am
My brothert has bought stuff off the internet and it never seems to work out plus its just too complicated when you need it on the spot.

toffeepig
07-03-05, 08:33 am
ANY excuse not to listen to good advice, huh?
I adopted my second piggie that I found ON THE INTERNET from our local humane society, easy as you please. I emailed them, they emailed back and said "come take a look!" I went, I saw, I adopted.

Alfie, you really need to open your eyes and start paying attention to the primo advice you're being given, instead of wasting energy looking for excuses and telling us why it won't work for you. It WILL if you even give it a shot. Read the website thoroughly and think long and hard about whether you're willing to commit to proper daily care of a gp for 5 years or more. If you have any hesitation at all maybe you should wait on getting any.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 08:41 am
I don't.

Also my parents don't really want a guinea pig from a rescue for one we will be getting it on the spot.

citronsoul
07-03-05, 08:47 am
Why not from a rescue? You'd rather risk taking home a guinea pig that's sick, got mites, lice, is possibly pregnant...etc?

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 09:02 am
We will be getting the guinea pig on the spot after we get home from vacation and my parents just don't want too. Although I fully believe in rescues we looked for a dog there too bad the ones I wanted weren't avaliable.

daftscotslass
07-03-05, 09:05 am
My brothert has bought stuff off the internet and it never seems to work out plus its just too complicated when you need it on the spot.

You need the guinea pig now? Right now? What are you doing here? Off to the pet shop QUICK! The point is, if you've got enough time to be posting here about your intentions, then you've got the time to do a quick search, and then make a quick call/email to a local rescue.

If you can't heed this advice then I don't think you're responsible enough to be taking on a pig in the first place.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 09:09 am
We will be on vacation for a week and then as soon as we get home (or close to it) we will have the new guinea pig.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 09:25 am
If you want instant gratification you can always go to the shelter. At least that way you aren't supporting a pet store. You still have the same chance of a mis sexed piggie however. They are working in a gov't or volunteer funded angency.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 09:36 am
I know how to sex a piggie.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:16 am
Ahhh, but will you have the time? Most stores don't like it when you manhandle the merchandise and most shelters have a huge line up and want people out quick. You usually don't get to handle the pig before you buy.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:22 am
I have held the guinea pigs there before and I would make sure they checked. They even ask each other what they think there.

I am considering adoption thoughm but I didn't find any I liked too close by the ones I liked best were 1-2 states away.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:27 am
Well if I knew what state you lived in I could help you. Even when I lived out in the boondocks I could always find a shelter.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:29 am
Maryland (zip is 21784)
I typed it in but the only ones I liked a lot were in PA

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 10:29 am
alfie, I believe you have been ask numerous times where you live so that we can help you find a place to adopt a piggie. Have you yet to tell us or are you just to ignorant to accept help and would rather make excuses. This is getting old. So many of your posts are contradictory.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:31 am
Ok thats crazy hello? I just told you and I told many other people on other boards.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:33 am
This shelter is in you state:
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=MD11&sort=pet.Identifier&preview=1

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 10:34 am
Well, appearantly your post was the same time as mine so it was not there when I typed this. So sorry. Um, pa is not that far. In fact I have three 8 week old female babies. My son would like to keep one but the others are up for grabs if anyone is interested. Where in Maryland. Where I am in PA is an hour from the Maryland state line in two different directions.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:35 am
Yes but there is only one guinea pig and it was ugly (to me at least)

Sabriel
This one is in your state and has a piggy too:
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&display=&preview=0&SessionID=42c81375384678f4-app4&row=100&pet.Animal=&pet.Breed=&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=&pet.options=&scope=&exact=&pet.options2=&pet.options6=&pet.Name=

alfieiheartu
I live in sykesville which isn't too close to the border (I don't think)

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 10:37 am
ok, here we go again. Where in Maryland. I might be able to work something out with you. If you can't find one in a rescue or shelter you like, then a private adoption is the next best thing--certainly better than buying from a pet store.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:37 am
Thanks but I need a picture.

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 10:38 am
okay, sykesville. Sounds kind of small town or closer to Virginia line. Is it?

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:39 am
I already said I live in Sykesville.

alfieiheartu
Oops sorry didn't see your post.

Sabriel
Pigs here too: http://mchumane.org/

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:40 am
Hmmm let me see I think its sort of middle but I am not good with this kind of stuff I live near Eldursburg.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-03-05, 10:40 am
So? Why don't you fill out an application, gather your supplies? Then when you get back, you can pick up your piggie, or just go to a shelter and see what they have? You're going to the pet store to hold them and get whoever they have.

How can you really tell with just a photo?

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:41 am
Some of them were cute but a bit too old.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:42 am
Well I would need a general idea.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-03-05, 10:42 am
www.petharbor.com (http://www.petharbor.com)
www.gpan.net (http://www.gpan.net)
www.cavyrescue.com (http://www.cavyrescue.com) classifieds
www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) classifieds

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:44 am
So you're telling me that those animals aren't pretty enough or young enough for a forever home? That those poor pigger deserve to die or live in a shelter for who knows how long because they don't fit your somewhat narrow standards.

Or is it just easier to go to the pet store? Even after I took some of the work out of it for you?

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:45 am
Those are good websites but I am not sure about using them.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:46 am
I do not want to go through having them die a short time after getting them I also only faw one picture and did not like the guinea pig. I have found many I like but they aren't close.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:47 am
Why not? It's not like you are ordering a pig with your credit card.

alfieiheartu
07-03-05, 10:48 am
Why not what?

Sabriel
07-03-05, 10:49 am
Why not use the websites. They are a valuble tool.

CavySpirit
07-03-05, 10:49 am
Final straw for me. You are on a ban for week. If you somehow manage to figure out what this forum is about when you are allowed back on, then maybe you'll be allowed to stay.

GunieaPigLuva
07-03-05, 10:57 am
What was the final straw?

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 10:59 am
Read all her posts, I think you will be able to figure it out.

VoodooJoint
07-03-05, 11:02 am
Alfie my love.

Try to reregister again and your old name will become permanantly banned.

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 11:07 am
Oh my god, Guineapigluva was alfie. What a dope I am.

Sabriel
07-03-05, 11:12 am
Don't feel bad. This was the first time I was able to guess who was resurected :)

babyhippie
07-03-05, 11:38 am
Wow. I am shocked at the "ugly" comments re: pigs for adoption.

We recently adopted a female guinea pig & we had no idea what she looked like when we agreed to take her in (from someone that my husband works with). It turns out that she is a beautiful mostly-black-and-white Peruvian.

This past week there was an ad on our local freecycle for a free male guinea pig. The first person didn't show up, so I got a call yesterday asking if I was still interested. I had responded to the ad because I was afraid of what could potentially happen to the "free" pig. It turns out that "he" is really a she, and she is a cute golden agouti abby.

Maybe we are weird, but we agreed to give these 2 pigs a new forever home sight unseen. I can't imagine saying that a guinea pig is too ugly to adopt. (!)

NewGPMom
07-03-05, 11:44 am
I agree whole heartedly. We bought ours before I found this site and knew you could adopt. And like so many, our one sow was pregnant. We had no idea what the father looked like or what to expect. Some of them were absolutely beautiful and others are just as cute in their own little way. I don't know that there is such a thing as an ugly piggie.

VoodooJoint
07-03-05, 11:54 am
My second pig Dilly was partially site unseen. I went to the shelter to rescue a friend for my Daisy. They had one female GP in. She was hiding in her hidy house so I couldn't see her but I knew I was going to take her home and told the shelter staff so.

When I reached into the hidy to take out the GP and double check she was a female out came the cutest tri colored short hair with the sweetest, most gentle disposition.

She and Daisy have been great buddies and I could have cared less what she looked like as long as Daisy liked her I knew I would love her too.

lindsey's boys
07-03-05, 12:02 pm
Yes but there is only one guinea pig and it was ugly (to me at least)
Oh that's real nice! It's ugly, I don't want it. What is wrong with you?

babyhippie
07-03-05, 12:38 pm
...I could have cared less what she looked like as long as Daisy liked her I knew I would love her too.

That made me smile.

Slap Maxwell
07-03-05, 01:10 pm
I adopted Maia and Cali sight unseen as well. I couldn't have made a better choice.

Ly&Pigs
07-03-05, 03:00 pm
I agreed to take in Bubba with only a description of what he looked like and the description wasn't even accurate. From the description I was expecting a texel and when I got him, he was a teddy! Doesn't mean I love him any less. He is one of the sweetest pigs I have. Looks or age shouldn't matter too much when it comes to adopting pigs, what should matter is that you can provide a great forever home. If you already have a pig or pigs then you might choose a new pig to adopt based on personality for the sake of the new pig getting along well with your current pigs, but I sure wouldn't turn down a pig based on looks or age. I think all pigs are cute in their own way, some are just cuter than others.

suzilovespiggie
07-03-05, 03:09 pm
Wow, I didn't read all the threads before asking about Alfie. I too am a dunce. when Alfie signed on as someone else. You mods, are on top of things.
About "ugly" piggies. All but 2 of my piggies were adopted site unseen. The only 2 I saw ahead of time were the 2 I bought at a 4H fair. I have never cared what they look like or how old they are. Gimli, was found in a very small cage, outside in the heat at a Swap Meet. He was old and they were throwing him away. He was the best pig, full of character, curious about everything and a real talker. I loved him until he died. I still morn him. I drove to 3 1/2 hours to get 2 pigs, pigs I knew I was coming home with regardless of color or age. Excuses that pigs are not young enough, the right color or what ever really raises my hair! I just love pigs! All of them!

rabbitsncavyluv
07-03-05, 04:09 pm
I have adopted pigs unseen and rescued some too. It's about personality anyway. Most of them were beautiful anyway, but even "homely" pigs have some of the best personalities.

John4216
07-03-05, 06:40 pm
I have never seen an "ugly" piggie myself. I guess the least cute one I have seen would be one that was all white and had pink eyes. It wasnt ugly to me I just felt sorry for him.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-03-05, 11:29 pm
I like the pink eyed whites. I have two New Zealand White rabbits.

CaliGirl
07-04-05, 12:45 am
I think we should create our own line of petstores all across the county, only instead of breeding the guinea pigs, we would take them in from shelters and adopt them to people (making sure they would be propor owners by our standards). In the store we would keep the pigs in large C&C cages (so people can see how great the cages are) and have in store all the things needed to make your own C&C cage (cubes, coroplast, instructions). That way we could inform people of the proper way to raise a guinea pig. We could rise above Petco and Petsmart making them go out of buisness, and then rule the world.... or just help guinea pigs find forever homes!

munchkin
07-04-05, 08:25 am
We seem to be missing one other form of rescue. The one that brought my precious puckers to me. A young woman bought her 7 year old son a guinea pig for his birthday. They knew nothing about these beautiful little guys. After three months she was tired of the "smell". and was fixing to turn him out into the wild. Did I mention that she had poor puckers in a cage that was a whole two and a half square foot big? She felt that Puckers was sick because he seldom came out of his little house, which took up almost half the cage. Well, if you lived in a toilet, would you want to go out to play in it? She wasn't feeding him properly, he had never had a bath, never had his sac cleaned, and on the food he was eating, he desperately needed it. Well, after I got puckers in a large enough cage and gave him plenty of floor time, which took some getting used to ( I don't think he was ever out of his little cage before) After a bath and proper cleaning of his sac, a little hay and proper pellets, he just came to life. He is now healthy, much happier and has a little rescued playmate named Pudgey. My point is, even if you think you HAVE to use petsores, please don't. There are so many alternatives to your local petstore. Just ask around, someone is always "getting in over their heads."

CavySpirit
07-04-05, 08:42 am
My point is, even if you think you HAVE to use petsores, please don't.

Exactly. Even without a rescue nearby, if there are petstores selling guinea pigs, there ARE guinea pigs in need. You might have to do a little bit of your own leg work and investigation, but they are there.

munchkin
07-04-05, 10:11 am
Exactly. Even without a rescue nearby, if there are petstores selling guinea pigs, there ARE guinea pigs in need. You might have to do a little bit of your own leg work and investigation, but they are there.[/QUOTE]

You could also check with your local vet. At Puckers first appointment my vet put me in touch with a guy who had gotten a pregnant female from the petstore. Since one of the babies was a boy, Puckers got a playmate. A handsome two month old that looks like he could have been puckers son. I also happen to believe if you are meant to have them, they will find you. But not in a petstore. I also informed my new friend about your wonderful site so that he could become more informed on the dangers of petstore purchases and the proper care of his now three girls.

suzilovespiggie
07-04-05, 12:30 pm
Caligirl, I like the idea of your perfect petstore.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-04-05, 02:33 pm
If I had money, I'd do it. You'd have a nice venue for selling good supplies and showing off the rescued animals.

The Magic Taco
07-09-05, 07:15 pm
I buy animals at petshops because the closest shelter I know is about an hour away.

Ly&Pigs
07-09-05, 07:57 pm
Well Taco, that really isn't going to cut it as an excuse with me. I don't know about other members, but I have a pig that came from a shelter that is halfway across the state from me. A friend made the hour and a half round trip drive to the shelter to get her for me and I picked her up in Little Rock which is still a 4 hour round trip for me. If you love animals, you should be willing to drive an hour to adopt.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-09-05, 08:14 pm
That is a lame excuse. I bet you could find homeless piggies nearer you if you tried. Geez. Or someone to transport or meet them halfway.

munchkin
07-09-05, 11:04 pm
Taco, try talking to your local Vet. Maybe they can put you in touch with someone who has too many or is looking to re-home some piggies. That is how I found my Pudgy. A man got a pet store guinea who was pregnant and needed to find a home for babies.

daftscotslass
07-10-05, 03:05 am
An hour? Is that all?! You never know - someone from the shelter may be willing to deliver.

suzilovespiggie
07-10-05, 01:05 pm
Taco, I drove 3 1/2 hours one way, to get my 2 piggies. There were none in my area.
I needed a friend for my pig and I wasn't buying him at a petstore.

toffeepig
07-10-05, 03:18 pm
I buy animals at petshops because the closest shelter I know is about an hour away.Translation: I buy from petshops because a) I'm lazy, b) I have too much money and don't want to help the humane assoc or shelters anyway, and c) I'm not interested in learning where any shelters are located.

I was prepared to drive TEN hours, one way, to adopt a pal for Toffee. Lo and behold, when I checked online to see what that shelter had available, I found a lovely little boy, Dudley, for adoption for $5 at my local humane society, nearly 45 minutes away from me. It would have been further for me to go to the petshop. If I ever decide I'm financially able to adopt another cavy, I will first look on Petfinder, then contact the shelters 10 hrs away to find out how we can help each other.

Slap Maxwell
07-10-05, 03:31 pm
An HOUR away? You have got to be kidding me. I drove twice that far to adopt three different pigs.

Moxie
07-10-05, 03:58 pm
Yes, an hour really isn't far. That is a lame excuse. I drove 2 hours each way to get my pigs and it was defiantly worth it!

guineagurl
07-10-05, 07:41 pm
1 hour away is nothing! By the time you jump in the car, listen to some music, you would pretty much be there! I bet Magic Taco would drive a hour to get to a Mcdonalds or something!

The Magic Taco
07-10-05, 11:56 pm
oops, about an hour and a half to get there and an hour and a half to get back. My mum's car is very unreliable and I think the shelter moved! I didn't know if they can do that!!!

The Magic Taco
07-11-05, 12:16 am
But I have feelings too and I don't want to be banned because I can't find a shelter.
I am going to adopt my neighbour's neglected pig one day when it's older but it really hurts my feelings that I might be banned over something I can't help. It's not my fault the shelter moved.

And it really hurt my feelings that someone says I would drive an hour to find a McDonald's than to save a pig.

Ly&Pigs
07-11-05, 12:36 am
But I have feelings too and I don't want to be banned because I can't find a shelter.
You aren't going to get banned because you can't find a shelter. You first said you "think" the shelter moved, then you said the shelter did move.
-Have you actually called to see if the shelter moved?
-Have you tried to find other shelters in your area?
-Have you tried looking on www.petfinder.com to see if there are pigs in your area?

Some shelters don't advertise pigs. It just takes a little searching. If you tell us where you live, we can try to help you locate pigs. If you put effort into looking for a pig, you will find a pig. Like someone else said, some shelters will help get the pig to you if you qualify to adopt.

ChadWPB
07-11-05, 10:37 am
I adopted Marilyn, sight unseen. The only thing I knew at the time is that she was an abby. She was a private owner surrender, and I saved Amy (Amiable Animals) a client.

We adopted the sweetest, friendliest guinea pig. Even better, shy little Princess came alive as a dominant diva sow. They bonded quickly and have been best buddies ever since, even after adding neutered Snuggles.

With just a little effort, you can find guinea pigs without ever setting foot in a petstore.

After Marilyn, our latest two pigs came from Gainesville Guinea Pig Rescue, over 300 miles away.

The Magic Taco
07-12-05, 01:35 am
I may be adopting a guinea pig soon...
My friend knows someone who can't keep their pig. I'm going to ask my friend about more details on the subject though.

Funnygpigs
07-14-05, 02:32 pm
Sigh...I'm tired of explaining this but here goes.

Person #1 buys from a petshop...the petshop makes money and orders 5 more GPs from the breeder to replace the one sold. The person gets bored with the GP and dumps it at a shelter.

Person #2 wants a GP. They can buy from a pet shop...giving the petshop more money or they can adopt the GP at the shelter...the petshop gets no money.

Do you see how this works? By adopting we are discouraging the petshops from getting in more animals from breeders because they aren't selling as many.

The breeders will end up breeding less because they have no buyers. Less GPs are subjected to lives in horrible housing, bad food and having litter after litter until dead. Even if there were no GPs sold in any pet stores, you would still have GPs that are mistreated by thier owners. All GP owners would have to be responsible owners to rid the world of mistreated animals. Otherwise, no matter where the GP comes from, you still have ones being mistreated. I DO agree, not to ever buy a pet from a pet store or breeder. I support adopting the ones out there already. :0)

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 08:43 am
Wow I so liked hearig what you all say about me once I leave.

VoodooJoint
07-17-05, 09:14 am
The question is Alfie did any of it sink in now?

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 09:28 am
Know because the problem is you don't understand.

cavy-cool-crazy
07-17-05, 09:45 am
Alfie, I'm not sure that you realise that we only want to help you learn about the ideal way to care for cavies. We don't want to criticise you. To stop people seeming so critical, look at it from their point of view. All we care about is that you know exactly what is a good idea and what isn't when it comes to cavy care. We just want you listen to us; to at least seriously consider our advice and let us know exactly why you chose to ignore it. If you choose to ignore all of our help and advice, then why stick around?

By the way, it's 'no' not 'know'.

VoodooJoint
07-17-05, 10:19 am
Know because the problem is you don't understand.

Then make me understand.

Explain why you won't adopt exactly because it doesn't make sense.

Explain why buying from a pet store is a good thing. Please weight both sides of the issue against each other.

Explain why you will not build a C&C cage. Weight out the pros and cons of both store bought and C&C cages.

Maybe if you were to fully explain everything we would understand.

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 11:17 am
For 1, I couldn't find any guinea pigs I wanted, I got my favoritre piggy from a petstore and am keeping her memory alive.

As long as I can tell if the pig is healthy and not pregnaught it should be fine. I understand adopting and its a great thing it just doesn't seem like its for me.

For one I don't think I could build one very well. Also I had trouble finding good places for coro and cubes. I also couldn't get the parts because I can't drive. It was hard enough to convince my mom that a container won't work. The only con is price.

toffeepig
07-17-05, 12:14 pm
For 1, I couldn't find any guinea pigs I wanted, I got my favoritre piggy from a petstore and am keeping her memory alive.
By buying from a petstore and assuring that another pig at a shelter will die, you're keeping your beloved piggie's memory alive??? And yet AGAIN I ask on behalf of all of us here, WHY do you need a pigger NOW???? Why not two weeks from now? and WHAT kind of pigger DO you like????????

As long as I can tell if the pig is healthy and not pregnaught it should be fine. I understand adopting and its a great thing it just doesn't seem like its for me. First of all, it's "pregnant", not pregnaught. Second, YOU will not be able to tell either about the pig just by looking at it. The petstore employee will tell you whatever he thinks you want to hear in order to make the sale. And third, I ASK AGAIN, WHY is adoption not for you? and btw, "It's just not for me" is NOT an answer.

For one I don't think I could build one very well. Also I had trouble finding good places for coro and cubes. I also couldn't get the parts because I can't drive. It was hard enough to convince my mom that a container won't work. The only con is price. Keywords here being "I don't think." If you did THINK, alfie, you would realize that a huge C&C (like the 2x5 I have for my two boys) costs less than half of what a barely adequate commercial cage would cost - I bought ALL the materials I needed, including the cable ties, for less than $30. An 18" x 36" commercial cage, which is NOT big enough for one pig, will cost you at least $60. If you had printed out the information on http://cavycages.com/howto.htm you would know exactly how to build a C&C very well. You don't THINK you can build one very well because you're too da*med LAZY to even attempt to build one. Bet your mom would agree with me on that, too.

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 12:32 pm
I did print out all of thsoe papers and it was to hard for me.

toffeepig
07-17-05, 01:11 pm
I did print out all of thsoe papers and it was to hard for me.Please EXPLAIN what was too hard (not "to") for you. Someone may have a suggestion on how to do it more easily. It's very difficult for anyone to help you (if that is indeed what you really want) if you don't tell us what you need help with.

Piglet
07-17-05, 01:32 pm
*laughs* Too hard? I could make the cage with my eyes closed :) All you do is zip tie the cubes together and score the coroplast. Easy! If you want help from us, then ask. If the instructions don't make sense, we can make it easier for you.

Susan9608
07-17-05, 03:19 pm
Oh my .... the critics are out in full force.

I must say, it seems rather unfair to attack a child about decisions that are pretty much out of their control. This alfieheartu has already stated that he or she cannot drive and had to speak with his/her mother in regards to the guinea pig's accomodations. Ultimately, the decisions seem to reside with this child's parents. It's one thing to present the information for the child to take to his/her parents ... but all this criticism and insults seem very counterproductive.

Besides, just because you offer advice doesn't mean someone is obligated to take it.

And I found C&C cages very difficult to make ... and to maintain ... which is why my dad and I built some of our own. Not everyone feels the same about things or has the same abilities ... especially not children or even teenages.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-17-05, 04:05 pm
Do you know how to order things online?

http://cavycages.com/buycc.htm

Sabriel
07-17-05, 04:42 pm
Unless you are building a 2 floor cage with a lid I don't see how building a C&C is all that difficult. I made a floortime pen in 5 minutes. That's half the work in a no frills C&C. Step 1: Zip tie grids. Step 2: Make box. Step 3: Put box in grids. Presto bango, you have a C&C. Heck, school children understand how to make a box out of something flat. How can a teenager find that difficult?

Susan9608
07-17-05, 07:23 pm
I can perfectly understand how a school-aged child, a teen-ager, or even an adult can have a hard time building a C&C cage. I'm a 27-year-old, reasonably intelligent, professional adult, and I had a difficult time with it. My grids wouldn't stay in those little connectors, or they got wedged in so tightly that I couldn't get them out; even with a T-square and yardstick, I still couldn't cut the coroplast in a straight line, I never did get a workable door on the cage; and the cages I ended up making were so unstable, that I found them totally unuseable .... I just couldn't make it work very well.

Everyone has different abilities ... my husband can do calculus problems in his head, but I can't. My dad can build wonderful wooden furniture, but I can't. My mom can do a crossword puzzle in about 15 minutes, but I can never finish one. Some of you can put together a C&C cage in no time at all, but I can't. However, I can read a 500 page book in an hour ... I can put an IV catheter in a premature baby in 45 seconds, and I can draw a perfect circle. My husband, father, and mother can't do those things. My point is that everyone has different talents, abilities, and skills ... and it's unfair to judge someone else by our own individual skills and standards.

I realize that it's frustrating to constantly give suggestions and information and then have those suggestions and information ignored or met with rationalizations. But it still, in my mind at least, seems unfair to berate a child or teen-ager when ultimately it's their parents who make the decisions and have the financial responsibility. I also think that harping, criticism, and extremely intense or forceful advice is counter-productive. The positive effects of approaching an issue in that manner wear off quickly and people eventually become immune to it ... and then all the wonderful information you have to share is totally tuned out.

But then, that's just my opinion ... and you are totally free to disagree with it. <smile>

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 07:31 pm
Susan you sound very nice. I am glad someone seems to understand.

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 07:31 pm
Susan you sound very nice. I am glad someone seems to understand.

blah blah blah the post was too short!

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 07:32 pm
Oops it didn't work right sorry.

Susan9608
07-17-05, 07:51 pm
Well, thank you .... I try to be nice. Most of the time, anyways.

Alfieiheartu, even though you can't drive and are some what dependent upon your mother, you still have the power of persuasion. Unless your parents are extremely strict and irrational, they will probably be willing to at least *listen* to a reasonable argument. It can't hurt anything to gather information about the appropriate type of cage for a guinea pig and the benefits of adoption vs. purchasing, and then present the information to your parents for their consideration. If you do that, and they still reject the information, at least you'll know you did your best to ensure the best possible life for any guinea pig you might get.

I think that's what you ultimately want ... just like all of us here ... to provide the best possible life for our guinea pigs.

I must admit that I don't quite understand your persistent desire to purchase a guinea pig from a pet store, rather than adopting one from a shelter. I really think adoption is a much better choice; that is my opinion. I also think that if you don't see any guinea pigs you'd like to adopt right at this moment, then there's nothing wrong with *waiting* to get a guinea pig. Again, that's my opinion, which you are free to give as much weight to as you'd like.

I also think that if you'd like help gathering information to give to your parents, or help locating guinea pigs for adoption, then the wonderful people on this forum would be glad to help you.

I hope that you are a child or teen-ager (I'm sorry I don't know how old you are) who is smart enough to take advantage of resources right at your fingertips ... I also hope that you are mature enough to not take an animal into your care until you are completely ready to give it the best possible life. From what I've read so far on this forum, which I realize is probably not the whole story, it doesn't seem like you are truly ready for another guinea pig. Again, another opinion of mine ....

Anyways, I suppose I have given far too many of my opinions already, especially since they were all unsolicited.

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 08:04 pm
Susan I have printed much information but if you would like to help by printing important information so it is presentable that would be very nice. I have already printed lots of papers though. No need to print the cage tutorial or anything like that unless you make it more presentable.

Susan9608
07-17-05, 08:08 pm
It's good that you've printed all the info ... have you given it to your parents? If you have, then good for you ... even if they refuse to supply the necessary materials for the best cage possible. At least you tried. If you haven't given it to them, then you might want to do so ... and see what they say.

i wish you luck. <smile>

alfieiheartu
07-17-05, 08:11 pm
I gave some of the papers to my mom but that was a while ago. I shall try again tommarow.

rabbitsncavyluv
07-17-05, 08:37 pm
Does this help?

Go to Target or Bed, Bath and Beyond, whatever store near you sells storage grids for the cage walls.

Look in the phone book or online for a sign or plastics store that sells coroplast. Order a sheet, cut and score it to size. Set up the grids and slip the coroplast into the grids.

Or go to that site I gave you and order one.

Then look at www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) or www.petharbor.com (http://www.petharbor.com) and www.cavyrescue.com (http://www.cavyrescue.com) for a pair of piggies to adopt.

Funnygpigs
07-18-05, 02:58 am
I must say, children who have parents that do not help/supprot them or show them the proper way in life, only know what they are taught. This Alfie could be 10 years old for all we know. I agree that the pet store not a good idea. I also can say that if a kid has no money or help from parents....then that = no C&C cage. Plus, kids DO think in NOW terms and in terms of themselves. Instant gradification is part of the personality of a achool age child/adolesent (6 months of psychology education,not an expert). I actually can see from her emails that she is not understanding a lot of our more mature philosopy. Maybe give her the information and then leave it be. You cannot make someone understand if they are not getting it in the first place. You cannot undo parenting styles that have been installed in a child (just by replying on this forum). If she truley wants info, then let her take from it what she will. Maybe she will learn a thing or two and share with her parents. :0) P.s, I agree with driving as far as needed to get a pig. I drove two hours each way to get my charlie. I only saw a pic on the web. It was not his "looks" so much as the way he was looking at the camera. His expression(sp?) caught my heart! :0)---just to let you all know, I am the worlds worse speller. I try hard, but still fail. Pls excuse my bad spelling at times. Thank you.

Funnygpigs
07-18-05, 03:04 am
Also, just to add to this, I used 16inch high, white, coated utility shelving (sold at all home improvment stores). It works great! Best of all, the lip part of the shelving works great to hold the coro box in place. It cost around $8 for 6 ft of it. Plus, it comes in different size space between the wires.I also made my cage with no experiance. Cosmeticaly it is not the prittiest cage I have ever seen. But, my piggs are happy and love it. And, because I made it myself, I love it! Just an idea! :0)
Does this help?

Go to Target or Bed, Bath and Beyond, whatever store near you sells storage grids for the cage walls.

Look in the phone book or online for a sign or plastics store that sells coroplast. Order a sheet, cut and score it to size. Set up the grids and slip the coroplast into the grids.

Or go to that site I gave you and order one.

Then look at www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com/) or www.petharbor.com (http://www.petharbor.com/) and www.cavyrescue.com (http://www.cavyrescue.com/) for a pair of piggies to adopt.

alfieiheartu
07-18-05, 06:53 am
I don't think target near me has them. But I really don't know how we would build the cage.

Piglet
07-18-05, 06:55 am
If you use zip ties rather than the connectors, things are so much simpler.

alfieiheartu
07-18-05, 07:00 am
oh! I guess I will discuss this with my mom and dad although eek we might be getting one today.

Piglet
07-18-05, 07:19 am
Getting a pig? From where?

alfieiheartu
07-18-05, 07:56 am
I do not know.

toffeepig
07-18-05, 08:07 am
I do not know.so, instead of finding a rescue close by (and they ARE out there) and telling them what you would like and asking them if they could help you find it, you're going to have your parents drive you to every petshop in town until you magically find "the one" so you can have it TODAY, even though you don't yet have a proper cage or all the supplies??

You need to do more preparation before you bring home a GP. You need to figure out what kind of cage and build it before you bring him home. You need to find out where you're going to get your pellets and hay before your gp comes home and needs to eat, because you're eventually going to run out and have to buy more (and Walmart doesn't carry anything you want for your gp - that's like running to the 7-11 for a slurpee because your baby's out of milk. horrible)

alfieiheartu
07-18-05, 08:10 am
I bought all the supplies except a cage yesterday. We looked yesterday and I was very paitent.

munchkin
07-18-05, 09:10 am
Alfie, It sounds like you are geninlytrying to learn here. I give you credit for that. I couldn't find Coroplast either, but there are so many alternatives. No, I don't have a C&C cage, I would love to find everything and build one, but my constructed cage is 14.75 square feet. Until I can manage to find everything and build my cage, I found a different way to give my boys the space they needed. My cage actually cost nothing as it was made of things we had lying around our property. I'm just saying use your imagination. If it looks like it might make a decent cage, it probably will with a little imagination. Just remember to make sure it is large enough, safe enough and well ventilated. As for the pet store thing, have you tried talking to your local vet? Mine put me in touch with a shelter and an individual looking to re-home. Because of him, I found two beautiful piggies who were perfect for us and my existing piggy.
I live in a very small town quite far from anything. I understand that your mom might not want to drive very far. You can't control your parents, I know that. But maybe you could find something that they could help you make a cage out of. I have a friend who gathered up old political signs and used them as a base. He just turned the printed side down. Another guy used a tarp covered with newspaper then fleece. These are just a few ideas that are cheep and worked well for these people. Oh, by the way, very important. Be sure the guinea pigs can't get to the tarp as they will chew it. Max built a frame out of aluminum and tacked the tarp to it then put the cubes inside the frame.

alfieiheartu
07-18-05, 09:29 am
Okay I shall look into it.