Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast If I have a C&C cage can I just use coroplast?

guineagirl1234

Cavy Slave
I am trying to get my parents to let me get a guinea pig and their concern is the cost so I thought using a C&C cage would be better but that still isn't enough for them so would just using the coroplast and not the cubes be okay?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
It would be OK I believe, and many have done it that way, but your Guinea Pigs may climb out at 1 point. Cubes will also make it easier to contain some more mess when you need to put hay and the like into their cage.

:)

TheChapmans

Cavy Slave
Look into closet racks. They have them in the storage section at Home Depot. Ask them if you can earn some extra money.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If your parents are concern about the cost of the cage, will they be willing to pay for vet fees when your piggies get sick?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If they're worried about the cost of the cage, you'd better have them investigate veterinary costs before you actually get a guinea pig. Regular dog and cat vets won't do, as they get almost no training in guinea pig care. Exotic vets are few and far between, and expensive.

If a guinea pig is healthy, the cost of upkeep isn't too bad -- the cage set-up, hay, food and bedding. But if a pig gets sick, the cost of the care can run to hundreds of dollars and many hours of handfeeding a pig who's determined not to eat.

I'd suggest that you think about a pet that requires less money and care until you're old enough to pay for it on your own. Then, a guinea pig (or preferably two) will make a great pet for you.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I made a 2x4 C&C for 50$. My fleece bedding cost another 30$ but I have so much of it and many changes. I stretched my fleece very far and still gave tons left over.
Honestly, choroplast is more expensive then cubes where I live! If you want to cut costs look into getting JUST cubes and then use a shower curtain and fleece for the base.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.