Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Did you find going veggie easy?

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
It'll be my 3 year anniverary of being vegetarian on july 13th (I'm 14, so considering my age 3 years is excellent) and recently I was thinking, I found it SO easy to go veggie.

I researched for a few months, got very interested in animal rights. After a while it seemed stupid to be against fur/hunting/vivisection yet still eat meat. So one day i just said 'right...ok, I'm going veggie tomorrow'. The last meat (well, poultry) I ate was a chicken sandwich. I found it so easy. I didnt slip up. I didnt really care, it wasnt at all hard. And before I went veggie, I was a big meat eater so I was reducing a big part of my diet. I've only ever craved meat maybe 2-3 times since.

I know a lot of people who found it incredibly hard to go veggie, I know people who tried and failed. I often get remarks like 'Oh I could never give up meat'...I used to say that, but look at me now!

I find this crazy. Shouldnt I have missed meat? Does anyone else feel the same? and did YOU find it easy to go veggie?

ps- I just realised this sounds really big headed, please dont take it that way.

Firstly, let me congratulate you. 3 years is a heck of a lot, and like you said, considering your age that is fantastic.

I turned vegetarian last september and it was very over-night. I remember watching the meet your meat video one evening and I decided there and then that that was it. I slipped up a lot and in the first month I did eat meat. After that I said to myself I can't keep on slipping meat into my diet. So, since then I've not eaten meat.

So, I did find it hard at first but not anymore. I too get people looking astonished and asking how did you do it.

Before I used to eat meat about 4-5 times a week, so that's quite a lot. Even though it was hard at first this is the best decision I have made in my life. I'm eating healthier and I don't feel guilty.

It doesn't sound big headed, your post just proves how being a vegetarian can be easy, which gives some hope! Perhaps other meat eaters will slowly give meat up :)

I read your other post - let me add it was the meet your meat video that sparked my decision. BUT I have done a tremendous amount of other research too. I've seen the cruelty that goes on in the UK and it is truly horrific.

After a lunch of meat I watched the Peta KFC video and turned vegitarian that minute. I have not had meat or fish since.

I did not crave meat for the first three months. Then I started to really want it. I curb that with fake meat, and it tastes great, so no meat for me.

Hmm...I can't actually find products that taste like meat. The closest thing I have come across is quorn. Although it is supposed to be "fake meat" it tastes nothing like it. Nonetheless, it''s still good.

I've forgotten when exacty I became vegetarian(I have been for at least two years now)but it was surprisingly easy. I slipped up once when I went to Subway and had a grilled chicken sub and I didn't realize it until I was walking out of the place. I never really did research but I saw too many horrific slaughterhouse pictures to continue with the meat.

I ate meat regularly but I wasn't a fanatic. I did have a few cravings but then I thought about that animal and looking into her terrified eyes before she felt that cold death knife at her throat and the lonely life in her slowly and painfully drain away.

What about chicken flavored noodles? Can I still eat them if I'm veg?

How about parents? I tried going vegan but they said no. I try suggesting no meat and I only get meat at dinner and rarely at lunch. What did you people do? Can you change your avatar to one of your own? How?

Hi there! I see this is your first post

Go to "my profile" on the toolbar at the top and then go to "edit avatar". You can only have guinea pig avatars, nothing else.

My parents are very happy that I have turned veggie because it in my religion you should not eat meat anyway. I am lucky that I do have understanding parents who are willing to buy me vegetarian ingredients and meals.

My parents let me do what I want-they're proud that I have opinions on things, and care about my beliefs. Its pathetic for parents to not let their child be veggie/vegan...as long as the child makes sure they get proper nutrition, its not going to harm the child except make them a more caring, responsible person.

Same here - my mums really proud that I made this decision. THey've really supported me. cavy_13 show them the "meet you meat" video and other articles on PETA.

I became a vegetarian nine years ago, when I was four. I asked my dad what roast beef was and he told me what it was. Since that day I haven't eaten any meat.

^^^ wow 4? I wish I thought for myself then!

Awwwwwww...lucky. They believe only meat contains these special nutrients u can't get elsewhere...

I have never eaten meat, because my entire family is vegetarian. It's not our religion; they just think its wrong. I have never had an issue with cravings. I am not a huge veggie fan, and my body over the years has never had any nutrients that's been taken away from it. It doesn't know theres anything wrong with being a carbohydratarian which is what I call myself. lol.

I did try giving up dairy, which I find is very very difficult. My dad recently gave it up. Those animals are treated as bad, so I try to eat it only at one meal a day. One day I want to get chickens! I feel very hypocritical being an animal rights person, but still eating dairy products (makes me wonder if I would ever be able to be a vegetarian if I hadn't been one forever). Yesterday night, I had a dream that I cracked an egg and in it was a baby chicken. It made me feel terrible! One day I want to have my own chickens.

I went vegitarian cold turkey for helath reasons. I thought it might help my IBS. And it has helped a bit. (Now I have to work on destressing. So much harder. :( )

I've only slipped up once when I took the train first class. A friend sprung for the upgrade and we upgraded that day. We had to sit in the seats that face each other (and a very rude lady with no table manners got on in London. Grrr) and since we didn't get tickets 48 hours in advance I couldn't get a *special meal*. I chose fish since it wasn't raised in an overcrowded situation and it hurts my stomach less. I didn't even get 1/4 of the way through it before I got all bloated. My husband kept giving me puppy dog eyes (he'd missed his fish and chip lunch with his buddies at work) so I flopped it over on to his plate and just ate the veggies and rice.

Lesson of the day: Plan ahead.

It'll be 10 years for me come August. I became veggie when I was 15 years old, for various reasons.

My mum was thrilled, she was vegan at the time, and my dad was pretty supportive as well; in fact he went veggie for awhile too.

I went cold turkey and found it to be relatively easy. I craved some meats for the 1st month or so, but after that it was a breeze.

I think I'll have to throw a party this summer for my 10 year anniversary.

When I went veggie, I found it SO HARD. You know what I blame... kfc but then I found out about one of my friends friend who works at kfc and she told me that she knew a guy that used to do nasty stuff to it. After that I found it easy. You just have to keep at it.

Blech, KFC is nasty. How much oil is in a peice of meat? I never used to eat from there or McDonalds

To answer your question about how difficult it was to go veggie; I never found an issue with it. My biggest issues where when I lived at home -- my birth family are carnivorous. All my life I've only really enjoyed eating veggies and really found meat to be plain aweful, but growing up in a family of meat eaters I had to suffer and eat the stuff.

A couple of year ago, my wife suggested I get allergy typed for food, and what do you know, I'm allergic to meat!! Having proof that meat avoidance for me is not just a preference but a medical necessity, I find it easier in discussions with meat eaters.

I found going vegetarian extremely hard. I know I sound really, really weak, but it really was! I ate meat ALL the time- For breakfast, lunch, and dinner, at LEAST 3 times a day. I went cold turkey.. It was so difficult for me, my families are carnivores, always cooking meat up, but now it dosen't really effect me.. Yeah, I've slipped a couple times.. But haven't in a long while.. I'm getting more and more used to the vegetarian life. Plus, veggie burgers are AWESOME! I've also been vegetarian since December 16,2004... Not very long, but it seems forever! I'm so glad that I did though.

I'm trying to never slip ever again.. Hopefully I never will! I've thought about not being veggie anymore, but then thought about the animals.. And then what I thought was impossible (becoming vegetarian) isn't! I'm proud of myself, in a sense, because NO ONE thought I could do it and keep at it. No one in my family really approves of it (Cept my uncle, he's awesome, he says he respects my decision), so it's especially hard since they don't support me... No one really does (cept 2-3 of my friends, but not a lot of people know anyways), but I guess that's okay! *__* My friends think it's cool! A couple of my friends are even going to try to go vegetarian because I am one, and I've told them what happens to animals that become their food. They hate it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.