Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A new guinea pig mama of 2

Cherie

Cavy Slave
Hi there,
I'm new here. I recently rescued 2 piggies and am learning by the day.
I would LOVE to have an ideal menu for them as well as any tips on training our new piggies.
Also does anyone know about this megazorb bedding? Can't seem to find any. What are the ideal cost efficent bedding to use? These poor girls are finally in good hands and we want to treat them well while keeping our costs down if possible. They weren't treated well and were going to be snake food when we saved them

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for saving those helpless poor little pigs.

An ideal menu:

-1/8 cup of pellets a day per pig. (Amount may depend on food brand) The brands that are recommended are KMS Hayloft's pellets, Oxbow, and Sweet Meadow.

-Unlimited timothy hay. Again, the brands that are recommended are KMS Hayloft, Oxbow, and Sweet Meadow.

-1 cup of veggies, per pig, per day, per the nutrition chart here. The best staples are lettuce, cilantro, and most importantly, bell pepper.

One very cost effective type of bedding is fleece. Check out this thread. i use it and love it. You just have to use some kind of under-bedding. I use a Uhaul furniture pad. All you have to do is throw it all in the wash once a week (or more).

Also, we would love to see some pigtures of your little furbabies! :)

Last edited:

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
Sure wish I could get Snowy to eat pepper but he won't :( So he gets lettuce and that's it LOL Here's hoping your piggies like more stuff than he does...

jm_1234

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Congrats on your new piggies :) One of my babies was going for snake food as well and it just makes me so sad to think of her in a snakes belly :weepy: Fleece is such a good, cheap bedding to use. Plus you can buy it in a design you like and add personality to your cage. I think the piggies like it better too. This is an awesome site for info!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
My pigs will eat anything but bell pepper! And Welcome to forum I agree 100% with what arionat799 said

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I agree with (broken link removed) too. That's great diet advice. As for training, my piggies pretty much do whatever they want, although Borat sits up and begs for veggies and Amy is learning to do it too. She has a harder time balancing on her hind legs than he does. Otherwise, they'll pretty much be the ones training you!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome. Thank you for rescuing them!

loveskittles

Cavy Slave
welcome... My piggie loves most every thing's good luck and you have come to the best place.

Cherie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. My piggies won't touch any bell peppers but seem to love everything else

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. My piggies won't touch any bell peppers but seem to love everything else
Keep trying with the bell peppers. Try cutting it small or shaving it over their pellets or favorite veg. Sometimes it takes weeks for them to take to a new food.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.