Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rat Care Websites? (And a few questions)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

I'm thinking about getting a rat again after my dear Tuz-Tuz died. :( So I'm looking for something like this site's equivalent but for rats. I want to make sure that I am really looking at good info for rat care, as when I had Tuz-Tuz I know I did a lot of things wrong, and I want to make sure that I take good care of the rats that I get this time. So could someone provide me with some links to some good sites? By the way, this is Tuz-Tuz who died a few weeks/day (Can't remember) after I got her from a pet store (Which I didn't know about rescues) 0923101542-00.jpg

She was such a great little girl while she was alive, and loved me so much :weepy:

I also had a few questions, if anyone knows the answers.

1. Can guinea pigs and rats be in the same room?

2. Approximately how much is the start up cost and weekly cost for two rats?

3. I heard that rats can be litter train, is that true? How hard is it if it can really be done?

4. I heard about someone who had free-ranged rats, what do you have to do to rat-proof if they were to have a room?

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hello there. Ratsrule.com is a great website for rats.
1. My daughter had the rats I had the guinea pigs. We did not have them in the same room.
I dont think they would hurt each other in their cages. But I dont think they should be loose at the same time for floor time. My daughter also had ferrets and the ferrets were dangerous to both the rats and the ferrets. They had to be kept totally seperate.
2.You would need a good rat cage. You could check out Martin cages for the rats and the prices. They need lab blocks, some fruit and veggies. Ratsrule.com has a wonderful diet recipie for rats. Rats need toys, hammocks to sleep in, water bottles and litter trays.
3.Rats can be litter trained. My daughter had the bottom floor of a 4 level cage for her rats toliet area. They used plastic litter pans.
4. My daughters rats were loose in her room when she was in there with them. They were never totally loose on thier own. She would leave the cage door open and they could come and go as they pleased but she was always in the room. She had them on her bed with her, on her neck when she studied. Her rats were very tame.

Check out ratsrule.com. There are many members here who have rats. I am sure they will gladly share rat info with you.

Peanutter

Cavy Slave
Ratclub.org or goosemoose.com
Those are two of the best sites to get any info about rat care, housing, cost, bedding, etc
1. Yes- you can, just as long as they have their own areas, they are generally fine being in the same room provided they cant annoy each other by being placed to close together or roam on another's cage (common sense really)
2. The cost of setting up entirely depends on you and what you are willing to buy, the main costs would be on a decent cage of a suitable size, water bottles & food bowls. I suggest a few good plastic igloos to hide in are a good idea, and hammocks (which you can either buy, or make at home) The type of beding you use will affect the cost to, have a play with different types and see which one works best for you (wood shavings like pine, ceder and dusty cat litters arenot suitabel for rats, but aspen or paper cat liter are good alturnities which are safe) Another expense could be a running wheel, this is your choice weather or not you want to get one.. I find the weekly cost of food etc isnt too much as i make my own dry mix & feed foods we already eat like fruit & veg, pasta, rice etc (I find the main costs come in when they need vet treatment or surgery/desexing)
3.Yes- they can it is pretty easy, put the tray in the cage, if there is poop outside of it move it into the tray to create a toilet area.. they will learn really fast it is very easy. However keep in mind... some rats will not learn this and will use the tray for eating, sleeping & playing instead :p
4. I do think i would feel safe having "free range rats" I only let my ratties out when i am at home to watch them, but i know of people who do, if you dont have pets like cats/dogs then you could free range is long as they can get back to their cage if they wish & the area is rat safe/ rat escape proof, eg, doors/windows etc closed.

:)

piggiepie57

Cavy Slave
Goosemoose is the most amazing rat forum on the web i have been a member for over 3 years.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I like fancy rats forum
(broken link removed)

Peanutter

Cavy Slave
goosemoose is very awesome, however i avoid going on there too oftern as it teases me alot with all the accessories/cages we dont get here, i would really love some of the things other countries can get but cant get here! (Especially, CN's)

Lauren_22

Cavy Slave
I also had a few questions, if anyone knows the answers.

1. Can guinea pigs and rats be in the same room?

2. Approximately how much is the start up cost and weekly cost for two rats?

3. I heard that rats can be litter train, is that true? How hard is it if it can really be done?

4. I heard about someone who had free-ranged rats, what do you have to do to rat-proof if they were to have a room?

Hi there :) I also suggest (broken link removed) as a very, very good source of rat care information. I am a member there (same username) and have been for the last 5 years, its a great community!

1. Yes rats and guinea pigs can live in the same room. The smells of each species shouldn't bother the other. Of course, they shouldnt allowed to be out together as there is a risk of one of them ending up getting harmed.

2. The costs are going to vary greatly from person to person (and in different regions). The most expensive initial cost is most likely going to be an appropriate sized cage. Rats need a minimum of 2 square feet per rat. When choosing a cage, you can google for the "rat cage calculator" and for any cage that you might be interested in, you can plug in the dimensions and make sure it is appropriate size for at least 2 rats (since they have to be in pairs or more). After the cage you will need bedding and food, and costs will vary depending on the types you choose. You can use elaborate toys or provide them with old boxes and second hand things. Also the Dollar Tree (or any dollar store) will be your best friend in getting ratty accessories! They sell baby blankets which can be used to make hanging hammock or to cover shelves. They also sell tons of baskets/shelves that can be used to make the cage more fun.

3. Yes they can be litter trained! If you join the forum I mentioned above you can search for "litter training" in the care section and you will get lots of feedback and instructions on how to do it. I have some who took to it right away, and some who never grasped the concept lol I have found my girls usually did much better than my boys at it though.

4. I don't free range my rats because I don't have a room specifically for them but I would imagine you'd have to make sure there is no cords they could chew, and make sure anything else you don't want chewed is available to them. I also would probably avoid carpet because I'd imagine they would chew it.

Hope that helps! :D

theratwhisperer

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.