Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Second Level

CuteButShyPig

Cavy Slave
I don't have enough grids left so I was thinking of putting my old store bought cages top on top for a second level and just take one grid from underneath off and adding a ramp. NOW the problem is that I dont know what to use for a bedding holder. I can't use rug or towel because my dad says it smells. And I dont want to use the cages bottom because it looks tacky. And I don't have coroplast or vinel avalable at this time. What should I use for an alternative?

How about PVC?

isn't that a pipe?

A shower curtain?

How about a picnic table cloth?

Collect some cardboard boxes to make the pan. If you have enough cardboard on hand you can make a new pan each time you clean the cage.

I bought some rubber mats that go on the bottom of a bath (non-toxic) and are going to lay in down on the cardboard. Its gonna be a cozy area so its only for walking on. There is going to be a cuddle cup, blankets, etc.

edit:
And I forgot to add that I bought them at the Christmas Tree shop for really cheap. And they are made so you can't trip so it has little marks on it for traction.

That sounds like a great idea and a bargain too! I am also going to make an upper level using an old cage. I have enough coroplast for a bottom for it though. My old cage is actually supposed to be a rabbit cage, but it is only 24" by 18", not even big enough for a piggie, let alone a rabbit.

Yes, I would like a second floor too, but I'm not sure how to add the coroplast to that. Do I just place it on top of the cubes? What would I secure it with?

Poke small holes into the sides or only the corners and attach with zip ties.

Her is another idea. I made a shelf with three left over cubes and put a 4th cube from the floor to the bottom of the loft to support it. I used cable ties to secure it in place along all the outside edges and the support grid.

Does anyone know what holds up the second level on a C&C cage, without sectioning off the bottem floor?

Because I'm builing one soon and I dont know how.

It really depends on how big of a loft you are making whether it will need extra stabilization from under it or not. I have done 1x4, 1x5 and 1x6 lofts that extend around the corner of my 3x4 cage and have only used zip ties and connectors for stability. I don't recommend putting grids under the loft and sectioning off the main cage space because it takes away the free running room.

Okay, I'm taking my support grid out. If you didn't need a support grid for a 1x4,1x5, or 1 x 6, then I don't need one for my 1 by 3.5 loft. Thank you Ly&Pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.