Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece How many sets of fleece do you have?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
how often do you change the fleece? I have 3 sets right now + sides to go up over the coro. Will this be enough for a week? Or do I only need to change it once a week. My mom is insisting I change it a few times per week to keep the 'stink' in check.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
What are you using underneath it?

You only need to change the fleece once a week. The smell issue could be resolved by changing what you're using as an absorbent layer, if you are having problems.

CinnandMegsMom

Cavy Slave
I have 4 sets now. Went out and bought more fleece today to make a couple more. I don't have a large C&C right now, but am working on it. I like to change everything once a day maybe every other day if I feel extremely low on energy. My older girl (can't be more than 6m to a Year) has already shown signs of bumblefoot. That is the reason I'm extra careful with their house.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't have smell problems, but I like to change by cage every 2 days. I like to keep things nice and tidy, so I do it more than once a week. I currently have 4 sets of fleece and towels, so that lasts me about a week.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I currently have 3 without sides . I will have more tomorrow and sides will be added.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I just went and counted. I have 30 fleece pads. 2 are used in each cage,slightly overlapped. That way, my guinea pigs can stay in the cages when I change the fleece. I have four cages for 8 guinea pigs. I have about 7 pieces that are older that I don't use too often anymore so I made two new sets this week. I rarely ever go past 3 days without changing them. I don't want any odor in my dining room.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I haven't got my pigs yet, but I'm using towels underneath. I think if I change it every 2 or 3 days that should help keep up with the smell. I have another thing of fleece, I haven't made it into a liner though because I was hoping to use it for the play pen I'm designing. I think 3 sets of towels and fleece would be okay for the week :)

Raine59

Cavy Slave
I have double sided fleece mats (2 of them) with a different pattern on each side. Halfway through the week I flip it over and do a mini cage clean. I don't notice any problem with smell until really close to the end of the week and even then only when I'm right in front of the cage, but then I have dogs and a cat too so maybe I'm just immune to animal smells.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
My hamster never really bothered me, but my dad said he smelled a lot so I may be immune to the 'stink' as well! :p I don't want to make mats, I feel like they'll be really hard to wash.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My hamster never really bothered me, but my dad said he smelled a lot so I may be immune to the 'stink' as well! :p I don't want to make mats, I feel like they'll be really hard to wash.

My fleece pads have fleece on two sides and a single layer of uhaul padding in the middle. It washes and dries nicely. I tried double uhaul padding but it seemed to stay damp longer so I stuck with the single layer. I put the fleece pads over a single layer of uhaul pad in the cage.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I have 3 cages(2 piggies in each) and each cage has a large fleece pad plus an extra set for total cage clean day(change once a week). Then I have about 45 smaller fleece pads of various sizes that I put in the high traffic areas(change every other day, but shake out everyday). I have had first time guests that said they would have never know I had piggies when they walk into the house because there is no smell:crazy:! I was so stinking happy when they said that:D!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Yeah my biggest concern is any stink! I don't want that to happen. That's cute.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I do what HHbean mentioned with the pads. Works great! I have never had a smell problem!(broken link removed)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I change my fleece every four days. Tuesdays and saturdays. I spot clean everyday. Underneath my fleece I put Vinyl l fabric on the bottom then a crib mattress pad on top of that with puppy pads on top then the fleece. The puppy pads absorb all the pee but I have stuff underneath incase the pad leaks

kananaka

Cavy Slave
I only change my once a week. What I notice that stinks is wet hay (yuck :yuck:)! I have to wash the hay rack out 1-2 times a day, one of my girls has taken to weeing in the pan and makes it smell like a zoo! As long as we sweep it 1-2x a day I do not notice the stink. I use U-Haul padding underneath.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I use liners with two layers of UHaul sewn to the fleece. I have three cages and four pigs with two sets of fleece per cage, and I only change the liners once every four or five days or so. Smell, at leat in my cages, comes mainly from wet hay. I sweep up their dirty hay and pops every day. That keeps smell down almost completely. How often you change your liners depends on cleanliness and hygiene.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I will definitely keep on the hay then! thanks guys.

Silverwind

Cavy Slave
I change every other day but maybe when we expand enough to have a separate kitchen area, we'll just change ethat every other day and the main area less often. I cant tolerate smells especially since they live in my living room.

mommazilla

Cavy Slave
I have 2 sets and change about every 5 days. I use towels underneath. I have 2 boars and don't have a problem with smell. I am making mats for the high potty areas and under the hay but only for the pig's comforts, not b/c of the smell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.