Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Wooden Hutches

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
Before starting to convince my parents, I thought it would be a good idea to save up for the C&C cage which might take some time. In the mean time, I have heard wood can hold infections and possibly infect the guinea pigs (although I've never had any problems with this before). If that's so, would you recommend me lining the hutch with thin plastic? I could staple it down and make sure it is well coated with newspaper so they cannot get to it.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
That's what I've heard too @go_ellie I just wanted to make sure.

ppguineapigs

Cavy Slave
i think it would be fine, but the thing is it could rotten after a couple of months? because and the pee and all, if the wood shaving doesnt absorb it! :)

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
I have never heard of wood contributing to infections. But if you're concerned you could try lining it with a plastic shower curtain. You don't only use newspaper do you? It isn't very absorbant and I imagine the piggies sit in their urine and feces. That could definitely cause an infection.

CathiiPiggie

Cavy Slave
I use a thick layer or newspaper, coating with about an inch of Megazorb bedding. I clean it out every 4 to 5 days and the wood seems to be fairly dry before I lay down the new bedding. I also clean and dis-infect the wood from time to time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.