Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Health benefits

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Hey there Vego's! (hehe)

I am just wondering if there are any noticable gains physically if we choose not to eat meat? (Do you really feel better?) And also if anyone knows what food's should I eat to replicate meat's nutritional content?
And any personal experience storie's would be good too, I'm undecieded as yet.

Hugs,
Guineagurl.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I know that I am eating a lot better now and my diet is so much more healthier. With every meal (dinner) I have a salad or vegetables, something that I never did before. I'm eating a lot more fruit for some reason and I'm trying healthy new products, like quorn, which is stuffed full of protein. Before, I used to eat fish and chicken burgers/nuggets/processed crap out of the freezer once or twice a week. I now eat none of that and every meal that I make is fresh and from scratch.

I think vegetarians need to get iron, protein and B12 in the diets. You can get supplement your diet with vitamins which is what I'll be doing.

I do feel a lot cleaner and guilt free! It has to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I advice you to take it slowly, I did it overnight which was a big mistake because I was craving meat in the first couple of months. Just ease into vegetarianism, slowly cutting your meat intake.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Piglet-

You said that you used to eas fish/chicken burgers/nuggets, etc from the freezer. Now you don't.

My question is, How did you manage to just take it our of your diet? I've tried not to eat any of that junk, but it's hard for me.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
It was really easy for me, I knew I couldn't eat meat so I didn't touch it. I never craved frozen products - I only craved stuff like lasagne, fresh chicken burgers, chicken salad. After a month, I was fine.

It's difficult for you because I believe you eat meat? So you know that you can have it.

Lots of people eat that food for convenience, I know I did. If I was hungry after school I'd just bung in some fishfingers in the grill. Cooking is fun!!! I thought I would never say that, but for the past 8 months I've been cooking my own dinner and it's nice to cook.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I've been trying to eat healthier, eating salads with chicken on top(I don't mean to offend any vegan's), I've had meals like Grilled chicken with white rice.

Yes, I'm a big meat eater, so you may be right that it is the reason why it's hard for me.
It's really hard for me to find healthy meals. It seems like my resource is junk food. If anyone knows of any healthy recipies, vegan or not, let me know.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Try steaming or grilling fish. It's really healthy, quick, easy and versatile. You can eat fish with angel hair pasta, vegetables, rice etc

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I spend a couple of hours every few weekends having a big cook-in.
I get out the recipe books, go fun-food shopping and them cook up loads of stuff which I then put into plastic pots and freeze. That way I get convenience food without the junk, and I have home-cooking without the hassle. I can get on with my marking whilst it cooks, and the whole family eats better.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
weasal, for what year do you teach chemistry? I'm revising for my chemistry exam right now!

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
I currently do A level and GCSE, but have done Year 7 up to 2nd year undergrad.
What do you need help with? Send me a private message and we'll keep from boring everyone else to tears!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.