PDA

View Full Version : looking to adopt a female piggy... in western japan.

seida
04-25-12, 06:45 pm
This is very long shot, but I thought I might as well try.

Animal adoption is not common here, and when you dofind shelters it's just dogs and cats, maybe a rabbit.

Guinea pigs aren't a common pet here, so they tend not to be overbred.

I honestly haven't been able to find a hint of piggy adoption, and i have searched in both English and Japanese.

Any suggestions?

PigPandemonium
04-25-12, 06:53 pm
Maybe you could find a rescue that could do a piggy train? (Btw: I so wish I lived in Japan, and am studying Japanese)

seida
04-25-12, 06:57 pm
I'd be happy to, but the only rescues I've found online (in osaka and tokyo) have no pigs. :(

Oh, please visit japan someday, it's lovely!

PigPandemonium
04-25-12, 07:06 pm
Hm...Maybe you could contact them and ask if they have ever had guinea pigs? If they have then maybe you can be put on a sort of waiting list for when they get some again?

I think I will some day, though I can't fly (Ear presser problems) So it would be a longggggg journey. xD

Raine59
04-25-12, 07:26 pm
If guinea pigs aren't too common there, are you sure if you did find one that you'd be able to get appropriate pellets and hay, etc.?

pinky
04-25-12, 07:34 pm
Isn't Hamtaro a Japanese character? I'd think that if hamsters are popular in Japan, they might have guinea pigs, too. Why don't you contact someone who sells hamsters to see if they know of guinea pigs in Japan?

seida
04-25-12, 09:27 pm
I know they have them here, i bought a beautiful girl recently. They're not as common as hamsters and rabbits though. But since i found this forum, I'd much rather adopt another than buy one from a breeder.

On the other hand i don't think there's much of an issue with overbreeding and unwanted pigs, but if there's one in need I'd like to help.

I did email the shelter, waiting for a reply :)

pinky
04-26-12, 07:42 am
I know they have them here, i bought a beautiful girl recently. They're not as common as hamsters and rabbits though. But since i found this forum, I'd much rather adopt another than buy one from a breeder.

On the other hand i don't think there's much of an issue with overbreeding and unwanted pigs, but if there's one in need I'd like to help.

I did email the shelter, waiting for a reply :)

Good luck and keep us posted. You're probably right that if guinea pigs are rare there, there might not be any in rescues or shelters because they're in demand. I'm very pro rescue, but in a situation like yours, your only choice might be to find a reputable breeder, if there is one, and go that route. Or ask the breeder if they ever get any returned to them because they're no longer wanted and offer to take one of those since it would be adopting one that needs a home.

potatoman
04-26-12, 07:59 am
it's great that you're going the extra mile to find a rescue.

i live in a country where there are absolutely no guinea pig rescue centers. fortunately, i was able to adopt my piggies but in different circumstances. i had a facebook friend who needed to give up some of his piggies because of "domestic" issues. i offered to help and ended up adopting one of his adorable boars.

maybe you should try looking for a social network community there which is devoted to cavies.

seida
04-26-12, 05:49 pm
Well, got a reply from the shelter, and they confirmed they have no pigs :( only dogs, cats and 3 rabbits.

Still looking around online for anything Japan-cavy related, but doesn't seem to be much. Must be some morumotto messageboards around somewhere!

seida
05-02-12, 02:20 am
Thought I would give an update, mixed news though. I finally found a semi-active guinea pig adoption message board! Unfortunately, all the pigs are a) very far away and b) very popular! (which is not really unfortunate, only for me)

There were a couple of different girls I offered to take (both over 3 and a half hours away), but both went to somebody closer. There's never any in my area :( And I don't even drive, so I'd have to ask my boyfriend or friend to take me.

I also don't really want to use the breeder I got Kabochan from again, because I wasn't satisfied with the way she was transported to me. She got here fine and safe, but I don't want another pig to come that way. All the breeders I can find online are in Tokyo, so that's no-go.

There's only 1 pet store in my city that sells pigs, they currently have 4 plus 2 skinnies, and all but one are male. And while they do get hay and veggies sometimes, they look a bit sad :( I want to adopt or find a nice breeder, but both seem unlikely anytime soon,

Guess all I can do for the moment is wait!

seida
05-09-12, 03:19 am
Suddenly it looks promising! I've been contacted by two people, one with a baby girl abyssinian who needs a home, and one with a year-old english girl. The main issue is distance, one's in Nara and one's in Osaka, both of which are over 3.5 hours away. It pretty much depends on if I can persuade my boyfriend to drive me that far...:expressio