Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Cheilitis?

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
This just showed up in the last few days. She doesn't seem to be bothered as far as eating or drinking, but when I touched it with a washcloth to see if it was just something stuck food-wise, she yelped. So of course I go right to the internet, and I'm wondering if this is chelitis? If so, is there any home remedy I can try? I cant do a vet visit right now financially.
IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0951.jpg

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Looks like it to me, though I am not expert by any means. You came look here for more about Cheilitis: https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html From what I see, you're going to have to take her to the vet. Is there a way to have a payment plan with your vet? That's what I do whenever I have to go for one of my pets and there is a huge bill that I can't pay all at once, I just set it up with the vet to pay some of it each month.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It definitely looks like cheilitis.

In my experience, treating is hit or miss. I often have done nothing, and the spot will eventually go away.

If it begins to cover a large area, or the area begins to bleed, then a vet visit would be in order for some antibiotics.

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
It definitely looks like cheilitis.

In my experience, treating is hit or miss. I often have done nothing, and the spot will eventually go away.

If it begins to cover a large area, or the area begins to bleed, then a vet visit would be in order for some antibiotics.
Thanks...that's part of what I'm trying to figure out...if this is something that needs to be addressed ASAP, or if its common and no worries unless it gets worse or impairs eating. In a perfect world, Id run to the vet right now, but I cant do that at the moment. Not sure if there are any home remedies to help?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not sure if there are any home remedies to help?

Did you read post #2? PigPandemonium gave you the link to Guinea Lynx, which has home treatments available.

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
Did you read post #2? PigPandemonium gave you the link to Guinea Lynx, which has home treatments available.
Sorry, I overlooked that neosporin and triple antibiotic were both OTC. Thanks for pointing that out.

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
just to update, I have been putting neosporin 2 x day on it and the bump fell off. it doesnt look infected, but its obvious very sore to touch as she freaks when I put the ointment on it, its actually looking better, but a little swollen. She is still eating well, so its not interfering with that luckily. I talked to my vet and he said it sounds like its doing ok, but since im going to be there Monday anyway to drop her brother off to get neutered, he said to bring her in and he'll check her out too. Said if she stops eating over the weekend to bring her in sooner. He wants to be sure that it is indeed just cheilitis and not an abscess or something else.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Nice of him to want to check. Doesn't look at all like an abscess, though.

Roxymarie365

Cavy Slave
Happy it's all gone now, I hope she keeps eating and that you have no further problems. Also hope her brother has fun while getting neutered, lol (I had my boy neutred last year, and he seemed so loopy afterwards,he also wasn't very thrilled with me sticking a syringe in his mouth 3 times a day)
P.S. Your pigs is very cute. I've always wanted a GP with a pretty coat like that :)

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
Happy it's all gone now, I hope she keeps eating and that you have no further problems. Also hope her brother has fun while getting neutered, lol (I had my boy neutred last year, and he seemed so loopy afterwards,he also wasn't very thrilled with me sticking a syringe in his mouth 3 times a day)
P.S. Your pigs is very cute. I've always wanted a GP with a pretty coat like that :)
thanks! her coat is so wispy that when she curls up she looks like a cotton ball :) I hope the procedure all goes well too...I cant wait to get them all back together.

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
Nice of him to want to check. Doesn't look at all like an abscess, though.
i didnt think so either. Its looking even better this morning, so the neosporin is obviously helping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.