Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Building a cage

M

Muuru

Building a cage

I've thought for a while on different designs/shapes/sizes etc for a cage for my guinea pig(he's big and fat, and that dinky wire cage I've got him in seems cramped(although, a buick seems like it would be too cramped for my pig :p hehe). Anyway, I figure the cheapest/easiest way to customize the cage is to build it out of wood, but how should I treat the bottom piece so that it does get wrecked from urine/water/etc, or should I just not bother doing anything to it at all? Mainly I'm just wondering if varnishing it is safe, it should be, but I want to make sure first.

Attachments

curly girls.jpg sharing snacks.jpg
L

Laura Irene

Cavy Cages

Did you look at www.guineapigcages.com ? Try doing a Cubes and Coroplast cage. You don't have to worry about types of wood because there is none!
:cool:

M

Muuru

Re: Cavy Cages

yeah I saw all of that after I made my post, but thanks :) I've actually just been thinking about where I'm gonna get all that stuff etc now.

M

Muuru

Re: Building a cage

Well, I got everything I need for the cage, for just under $35CAD. This includes a 4x8 foot sheet of 4mm coroplast, and 3 cubes(12 squares plus one extra). Building a 2x4 cage, as you can see from the picture. For everyone in the US, $35 CAD is about $24USD. Wow, for $24 USD my guinea pig is getting a cage more than 4x the size of his $50 cage. I LOVE THIS SITE! Picture of all the stuff below :)

Attachments

IMAG0990.jpg
L

Laura Irene

Wow!

$24.00 is CHEAP! We paid at least $36.00 USD!

*Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

M

Muuru

Cheap! :)

I know! I was surprised at the prices. I was expecting to pay closer to $20 for the plastic(only paid like $12) and like $30 for the cubes(only ended up being $20, all CAD of course, and I only got 3 cubes - 12 squares and one extra - but that's all I need anyway). Anyway, today's another day, and my piggies have a new home! Pics below :)

N

Nibblet

Wooden Cage Ideas

I built a cage out of 2 x 1"s and wire. I only made a frame so that it was more like a play pen than a cage. For the base I used a rubbermaid flat container about 5" deep and 36"long by 17" wide. This makes it very easy to clean, and you can take the frame outside to the lawn in a jiffy. :) Works great for us. Good Luck

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.