Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Kiwis: Where do you house your guinea pigs?

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Inside or outside?
Before I became completely obsessed with guinea pigs and started doing tonnes of research on them, I had only ever seen and heard of guinea pigs being housed outside, in hutches, like rabbits. Is this a NZ thing, or just a coincidence? Where do you house your guinea pigs? What do you recommend as a c&c alternative?

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
Hi
All but a very few will be kept outside from what I have seen and heard, most people are not aware that it is not good to keep them outside. You can make a c & c cage of sorts, I have and it works great!!
I havent been around here for awhile but am back now and glad to see the NZ no's are growning slowly!! :)

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I live in Ohio, but just based on what I've heard on these forums and around the internet, keeping guinea pigs outdoors is much more popular in Australia and New Zealand than in the US.

Cavylicious

Cavy Slave
There's a severe lack of education regarding guinea pig care here in Australia. I'm pretty sure it's the same in New Zealand. It absolutely breaks my heart when I see people on Gumtree selling their guinea pigs with photos of them in tiny hutches. I don't know how anyone can think it's alright to house an animal in a cage where they can only move a few steps in each direction.

I house my guinea pigs in a hutch at the moment, but as soon as I finish renovating my bedroom they will be coming back inside into a 3x3 C&C cage (especially now that the weather is getting colder). If you can't find C&C cage supplies where you live, you might want to use a puppy play-pen and some lino flooring as an alternative.

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
Hi
You can get the grids ordered in NZ and then they are sent from the usa but they are pricey. I have found grids that work perfect althought they are not the same size as the US ones and they only cost $10 for 3! I have also gotten corflute for the bottom. I use fleece with towels as a liner and its so easy to use. Wash ones every couple of days and just clean out the mess daily!! Let me know if you need any help with a cage.

manda2paran

Cavy Slave
My piggies stay in my room. I've set up their cage in one side of my room

Btw, where did you buy your grids, skylarnz?

pinky

Cavy Slave
My piggies stay in my room. I've set up their cage in one side of my room

Btw, where did you buy your grids, skylarnz?

If you can't locate grids, try finding wire shelving that can be cut down to the dimensions you need. You can zip ties the sides together. Some people disassemble old guinea pig cages and attach the sides of multiple cages to make one that meets the standard for adequate space.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I'm in Sweden, but I've actually found pet store cages that go above the recommendations, approx the size for three pigs & above. If you can, it might be an option to look for these really large rabbit indoor cages. Take the inside measurements.

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Cavylicious, I agree completely! On TradeMe, which is like the NZ ebay, there was a hutch about 60cm x 30cm x 30cm, advertised as appropriate for 2 guinea pigs!! I was shocked - how could you expect any living thing to be happy in something as small as that??
Skylarnz, would you mind telling me where you got your grids from? I'm DESPERATE! hahaha I've looked everywhere!:D
Thanks for all the replies :)

Skylarnz

Cavy Slave
HI
I got wire grids at a shop in Auckland, it is used to hang things up on a wall but they work just as well. They are a bit bigger than the grids from US but I just cable tied them and I made a 2 x 5 cage. You can also cut them to size if you want or Fishpond has a pack of grids from the US for about $100! The ones I got was $10 for 3 and one is about the size of 2 normal grids so it cost me about $40. Not bad I think. Where are you located? Can someone help me to post a photo? For the life of me I can't seem to get it right lol!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm in Sweden, but I've actually found pet store cages that go above the recommendations, approx the size for three pigs & above. If you can, it might be an option to look for these really large rabbit indoor cages. Take the inside measurements.

What brand is it? Maybe those interested can contact the manufacturer to see if it's available or can be shipped there.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
What brand is it? Maybe those interested can contact the manufacturer to see if it's available or can be shipped there.

I'm not much help here.
The largest one didn't have a brand visible unfortunately, it was 63" x 31.5" when I measured it.
I believe the tag said "Easy". It was very cheap for a store cage, probably because the lack of a "proper" brand.

The other one was a Trixie cage (Called 150 Large here). 59" x 29.5".

And this one I don't have the brand or exact measurements of, but I know it was *just* under the equivalent of a 2x4.

Last edited:

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Skylarnz, I live in Auckland :)
I didn't think of Fishpond before! That's a good idea! :)

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Just looked on Fishpond and they have some!! Just a bit pricey though :(

mistymu

Cavy Slave
we found our ones on TM - they occasionally come up (missed the ones in chch in Jan sometime) and friend and I got them from someone around Auckland this time - there was enough for 12 each which makes a 2x4 (maybe slightly smaller than US ones but they arent complaining lol)

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Mistymu, whereabouts in Auckland? I live here :)

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I live in FL and I have a covered and screened in porch.
Hubs wanted Whistles outside because he "stunk" (he no stinky)
But I fought for my wittle piggy and we a few adjustments Whistles will continue to stay INDOORS.

There is too much dangers outside. Temperture can flunuate without warning, wind can knock a cage over. A predator could decide to tamper with the cage and eat the adorable piggies. Not to mention possible water leakage if it rains.

These adorable creature can be easily injuried and their immune system comparmised. Not to mention, with you piggy indoors it is easier to interact with them. Rather than having to go ALL THE WAY outside to even just pet them.

Whistles is right by the kitchen gate, so every time I run to the kitchen he zooms over to the edge and gets a quick pet and maybe a small snack.

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Here in New Zealand, we are very lucky as we don't have a harsh climate, and we have hardly any predators, but yes I still agree with you that they should be kept inside :)
I was just curious to see, because most guinea pigs here are kept outdoors. :sad:

melissa98

Cavy Slave
Mistymu, I just reread your post and realised you meant you got them on TradeMe. Got excited there and thought someone stocked them! Oh well, better keep my eyes out... :eye-poppi

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
I grew up in Namibia, and we kept ALL our pets outside. The dogs had dog houses, the bunnies had a HUGE custom built picket fenced habitat complete with underground cement tunnels. The birds were in an aviary, the turtles lived on the back lawn that was gated so no dogs could get to them, and my mouse lived in the detached laundry room. The chickens roamed in a gigantic coop that was also a vegetable garden. We never lost an animal to weather or predators, and this was in Africa! So, I whole heartedly understand why the folks in Aus and NZL are talking of outdoor pigs. When my mom came to visit us last year she HOUNDED me over the "poor unfortunate piggies that I have in my living room", convinced that they would be happier outside where they can eat grass and watch birds. I told her they are "indoor pets" and that she had to let it go. We had many an argument over them. My argument that it was dangerous outside didn't stick because I couldn't produce one example of a pet we lost to living outdoors.

All that being said though, I LOVE having my pigs and bunny indoors. I like their noises, their quirks. I like chasing my bunny around the house and her licking my feet when I open the fridge. I like that I have a relationship with them, because try as you might, it's just not the same as visiting your outdoor pet, even if it is several times a day. So I would say indoors is the way to go!

Also, try not to obsess over grids. They are easy and plentiful here in the states, but they are not your ONLY option. Here is an opportunity to let our creative juices flow. We have a c&c, but we're putting together a see-through acrylic cage this summer, something that'll look much nicer in our new house. And we're building a large wood and chicken wire pen for us to put the animals in (separated for buns and pigs) in the lawn this summer when we are out there swimming and bbq'ing. So your building material options are unlimited.

Best of luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.