PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Incisors Repeatedly Breaking

StealMyUsername
04-16-12, 09:12 pm
I have three guinea pigs that have recently had their teeth trimmed by a vet for malocclusion. Two of them have recovered fine but one is still having problems. My little piggy's incisors keep breaking. A week and a half ago both of his bottom incisors broke while at the vet's office. They were growing back fine when all of a sudden one of them broke off yesterday. Today, a top incisor is now loose and undoubtedly be breaking off soon.

I've looked at GuineaLynx and read that this is usually caused by a lack of vitamin c; but I give my guinea pigs either green bell peppers or lettuce every day along with their hay, water, and limited pellets. I will be calling my vet tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone know what could be causing this problem with my little Remus?

-Bonus baby pictures of Remus and his brother's attached. They're 9 months old now.

Paula
04-16-12, 09:18 pm
Are the three pigs related? I ask because it's odd that you'd have three random pigs who have malo all at the same time.

Otherwise a vitamin deficiency could be the cause, also an immune deficiency. In this case I think I'd try giving additional Vitamin C supplement along with plenty of C-rich veggies.

Next thing I'd recommend would be bloodwork.

bpatters
04-16-12, 09:19 pm
I don't have any ideas to offer about them breaking, but I will say that guinea pigs almost never need their incisors trimmed unless the molars have problems also. Misaligned incisors are usually the result of spurs on the molars, or elongated roots, or some other chewing problem in the back of the mouth.

Unfortunately, many non-exotic vets (and even some exotics) are working off old information in vet books that say the incisors need trimming. Those teeth are just plain long, and should be left that way unless the pig is having trouble picking up food, or they're trying to realign them after doing something to the molars.

I think I'd supplement with vitamin C. You can find the plain C tablets at any pharmacy, or Oxbow makes drops that many pigs like.

Is there any possibility that Remus has hurt his teeth? Fell off a ramp onto a hard object in the cage, or something like that? Sometimes when a pig injures the roots of their incisors, they'll lose them several times before they finally start staying in.

StealMyUsername
04-16-12, 09:20 pm
Yes they are all brothers. When I wasn't as cavy savy I accidentally purchased a incorrectly sexed pair of guinea pigs and had an accidental pregnancy. I know better now about sexing pigs and not buying from pet stores so I'll never make that mistake again.

StealMyUsername
04-16-12, 09:25 pm
I don't have any ideas to offer about them breaking, but I will say that guinea pigs almost never need their incisors trimmed unless the molars have problems also. Misaligned incisors are usually the result of spurs on the molars, or elongated roots, or some other chewing problem in the back of the mouth.

Unfortunately, many non-exotic vets (and even some exotics) are working off old information in vet books that say the incisors need trimming. Those teeth are just plain long, and should be left that way unless the pig is having trouble picking up food, or they're trying to realign them after doing something to the molars.

I think I'd supplement with vitamin C. You can find the plain C tablets at any pharmacy, or Oxbow makes drops that many pigs like.

Is there any possibility that Remus has hurt his teeth? Fell off a ramp onto a hard object in the cage, or something like that? Sometimes when a pig injures the roots of their incisors, they'll lose them several times before they finally start staying in.
Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I should have. The pigs had their back molars trimmed and the vet didn't touch their front incisors. As far as I know Remus hasn't fallen nor have I seen him chewing on the bars of his cage which is why I am so stumped about his issue.
I didn't know that that their teeth may fall out several times so that's something I'll keep in mind. Also, I'll definitely try some vitamin c tablets. Thanks :)

foggycreekcavy
04-16-12, 09:34 pm
It is odd for pigs that young to have dental problems. Must be something genetic, or else your vet isn't very cavy experienced.

The weakness of the incisors can be related to root infections. I had a guinea pig with chronic root infections and her incisors would fall out--she was constantly on antibiotics.

StealMyUsername
04-16-12, 09:37 pm
It is odd for pigs that young to have dental problems. Must be something genetic, or else your vet isn't very cavy experienced.

The weakness of the incisors can be related to root infections. I had a guinea pig with chronic root infections and her incisors would fall out--she was constantly on antibiotics.
I think it is something genetic because the father of my boys also had teeth problems.
Do you think it could be a root infection if they have just finished a course of baytril on the 14th?

Paula
04-16-12, 09:49 pm
It could be a root infection - but malo is genetic, so it makes sense that if the father had tooth issues, the offspring would too.

Baytril is a strong antibiotic, but never has successfully treated a deep root abscess on its own, in my experience, so yes, it could still be present even after a round of baytril.

Have you had xrays done?