Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Help changing my diet!

TheAlmightyMiko

Cavy Slave
Well, the good news is that I have been *officially* vegetarian for three weeks (no cheating or "oopses"!). Yay! While I've been far more concious of the foods I eat at home and out, along with obsessively checking ingredient lists on all the foods I buy, I have had a bit of trouble changing my way of thinking about meals. I'm having the most trouble thinking of easy every day recepies for dinner (breakfast, lunch and snacks aren't a problem).

While I've found some great "main" parts of the meal like gardenburgers, Ah naturel, and tons of tofu (I've always loved tofu ;)) I've found all these "substitutes" to be really expensive, and a lot of it I really just can't afford. I know that all meals don't need to have this type of substitute, but it's helped me transition.

I know voodoo started a great thread on vegetarian recepies, but I was hoping that some of you would be able to give me some hints on how you adjusted your way of thinking about food while becoming vegetarians, and if you have the names of any good websites or cookbooks that are out that may help me!

It's funny that the hard part hasn't been not eating meat, it's been trying to unbrainwash myself of the belief that meat is the only way to anchor a meal. But you all were so right--I feel so much more energetic and just...well, better since I've cut meat out! Thanks for all your encouragement guys, I'm so much happier as a vegetarian! (I just need to get over this hump!)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I have had to stop thinking of meat as the base for my meals. It used to be. I now base the meal on a vegitarian item like vegitarian chili on brown rice, pasta with alfredo or marinara, spaghetti sandwiches (LOVE those), potatos with cheese and brocolli, veggies lasanga (pre-made), cheese, brocolli, onion, mushroom, or garlic pizza, vegitarian sandwiches (lettuce, tomato, jalepeno, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, and spicy mustard.)

Think of a side dish, then think what you can add to it to make the meal. Say a steak and potato. Take out the steak, add brocolli, cheese, sour cream, and some onion to the potato. Add another veggies side (cauliflower, asparagus, eggplant, artichoke) That sort of thing.

I also crave meat. Veggie hot dogs have helped. Fake veggie lasanga and pasta with meat sauce are lifesavers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.