PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone:)

MaliCole
04-15-12, 08:28 pm
Hi, my name is Malisa and my guinea pigs are Nillie and Coco:) They are so cute and full of energy. I am very worried though...I have recently found multiple "house centipedes" in my apartment and I am really scared they will sting my babies:( Can anyone tell me if these nasty looking creatures can seriously harm my girls?

PigPandemonium
04-15-12, 08:31 pm
Welcome! :D Hope to see pigtures of your girls soon! Sorry, I don't know anything about the centipedes.

kananaka
04-15-12, 08:49 pm
Hi and welcome Scutigera coleoptrata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata) (if this is the type that you are finding in you house) . "Stings are generally no worse than a bee's sting, with its venom causing redness and mild to severe swelling."

Petlovr
04-15-12, 10:21 pm
OK, eww. That link was much more info than I needed so late at night...LOL. It seems that the insects described feed onother insects, not mammals. Hopefully your pig will be safe. The piggie isn't seen as food, and I have yet to see a pig stalk a bug like prey, so they should be OK if one gets into the cage. Try to keep the bedding very dry, especially under the water bottle, and maybe look into an exterminator?