Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Smelly discharge in new pig

weston

Cavy Slave
I have only had Skunky for two days. I have noticed that he smells bad. I gave him a bath thinking that he must of got smelly when with the other pig in his old cage. Then I noticed that he had discharge coming out of his anus. It doesn't seem to bother him when I clean it or his legs. But he seems to have it more when you hold him. I have not found any poos in his cage at all. He is eating a good food and drinking water with vit C drops. He only age some lettace yesterday but nothing veggy wise today. He isn't much into playing with anything on the floor or his home. I fear he is sick and on Monday I will take him to the vet. But in the meantime I was hoping for some suggestions. He is pee-ing fine. Drinks water and eats some. He likes the grass hay I gave him a taste of today along with his timothy hay. Thank You

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer

weston

Cavy Slave
I think he is very young. He can fit into the palm of my hand. I didn't know about boar stank. How long does that last? I will also look at impaction. Thank you. Gheez it was easier when I was the kid and my mom was the one to tend to the piggies issues.

Just curious but since he is a boy where are his..um you know privates? I cleaned his sac this morning, I didn't squeeze it though but thought about this problem. ( had done it in dogs before). This little guy is so think I hate that I can feel his tiny bones.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Um... boar stank will last all his life unless you have him neutered -- that will definitely calm it down. But he'll also likely outgrow a lot of it, but it could take a year or so. Just what you wanted to hear, right?

Just to let you know, putting vitamin C in their water isn't recommended. For one thing, it decomposes very quickly, so it's really no use to them. And second, it changes the taste of the water and some pigs refuse to drink it. If you think you need to supplement with vitamin C, you can get regular tablets (just C, not a multivitamin), crush them and sprinkle them on his food. Or, you can get the kind of vitamin C that you give them by dropper -- some pigs really like it that way.

The fact that you haven't seen any poops at all may mean that he's eating all of them, which pigs sometimes do when they're ill -- usually they only eat the cecal ones. Is there anyone who could see him tomorrow? Pigs can go downhill very quickly when they're ill, and if he's not eating normally, I'd worry about waiting until Monday. Do watch him very carefully, and if he stops eating and drinking, then get him to an emergency vet.

weston

Cavy Slave
My baby pig has gone into seizures

I knew by yesterday that the little pig we had was not the norm. He would not eat much and drank little and really stunk. He was affectionate but really didn't play much on the foor. I came out this morning and he lay there in throws. His back end stiff but his head jerking and making little noises. I am just sick. My son is still asleep and I am hoping he will just stop and die peaceful as there is nothing that can be done now. Maybe he is just seizing but already dead. I do not feel a pulse nor see his tiny belly raise. He is so thin. I did as suggested and cleaned out the anus. There was a lot of goopy brown poo. I do believe he has had some sort of blockage that caused the body to shut down. It just smelled horrible the last day or two. Now no smell at all. I fell so in love with this little guy in such a short time.

I have had him since Wednesday. Yes, Yes a store buy. Please tell me how to get a healthy piggy? What am I looking for when I buy one. I want to adopt one this time around.

Squint96

Cavy Slave
Re: My baby pig has gone into seizures

I'm so sorry. But, is there anyway you could get this pig to the vet? Maybe there is something they can do (I don't now, I've never dealt with this)
I wish you the best

Petlovr

Cavy Slave

I'm so sorry. Is vet care possible?

The next time you want a piggie, go to Petfinder.com, or check out the adoption part of theis forum. Up top, "Find Guinea Pigs".

weston

Cavy Slave

I did look into petfinder. We have one not to far away that has lots of piggies. I did learn my lesson. I have had several dogs from petfinder I do not know why I didn't do that to start with.

kananaka

Cavy Slave

Is there any way to take the pig that's sick to the vet?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am sorry I missed this yesterday. It's doubtful that a pig that young would need his sac cleaned out. The discharge coming from his anus was probably severe diarrhea and an emergency situation.

Also, pigs don't usually smell bad.

I hope you were able to get him to a vet, but it did sound like it was too late.

I am glad you are considering adopting. If you find a reputable rescue, it's very rare that they would adopt out a sick pig. If you can give us your general area we can help you find a rescue. Also check out Guinea Pig Cages, Care, Shelters, Veterinarians - Guinea Pig Zone .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.