Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Problem, Im really frustrated.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have 3 pigs. They are all under 6 months old. They are currently living in a 5 sq. foot petstore cage. My parents wont let me get the proper size cage! They wont let me order one off guineapigzone.com, order one off ebay, or build my own! They wont even let me get the Midwest Guinea pig habitat and combine 2 of them or attach my current petstore cage to it. I need help convincing them. I keep showing my parents stuff from guinea pig cages and they say no they are fine in the cage their in. but THEY ARENT! ITS TOO SMALL. Im really mad.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Honestly, there is not much you can do. You can try sitting down with them and explaining to them that Guinea Pigs need a lot more space than most people believe. Explain to them that pet store cages are basically glorified litter boxes and that, if you were to make a larger cage, your Guinea Pigs would be much happier, healthier, and their cage would stay cleaner. If you haven't already, offer to pay for the supplies yourself (either save your allowance or work around the house/yard for extra money). If space is an issue, show them some of the wonderful cages in the photo gallery that people built to fit their unique space. The most important thing that you can do is to not argue with your parents about the issue. Don't go on and on about the subject. Be mature, present your case, give some ideas about how the cage can fit the available space, and how you can work to make the cage and collect the materials. If they still say no, be mature and respect their decision, maybe suggest that they do some research on their own.

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
Maggie . . . No offense, but what the heck is WRONG with your parents? :sarcastic

I think they think they're a bit too smart for their britches ... they need a bit of education. Perhaps have them look through some of the sections here on this Community Forum. I'll bet the enlightenment may very well open their otherwise closed minds.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I will actually be moving into a new room in the summer that has a long wall that I could easily fit a 3x4. So space isnt an issue. Ive told them everything. Emailed them link to the website. They say they are fine and happy. I dont agree they have no place to run laps and my mom says that's why you give them floor time. I told her they need to exercise on their time not mine. They are always in each others way. I told them im going to pay for it. They say no. Then my parents say fine you can only have one piggy. That cage isn't even big enough for one! Im not getting rid of them. Im not going to make my pigs leave alone either. I don't see why they don't want it. Its not like is in their room. Its in my room, with my money. Yet they still say no. It doesn't make sense!

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Ive had them look through the forum and every website saying guinea pigs need c&c cages. They just wont say yes.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
I understand what you're dealing with. My dad didn't even want me to get a guinea pig in the first place, it took 3 months of convincing! What I did was sat down with my dad and found out why he was against me getting one. I listened to his arguments, and found ways to resolve all of the issues he had with me getting a guinea pig. I made a slideshow presentation pin-pointing each issue and how to solve it. If you have access to a computer-which I'm sure you do, since you are on a web-based forum, lol-I would look into the features and see if there's a way you could do this. If not, you could always do it on paper or literally just sit down with them and give them your solutions. But first things first, try talking to them about it and find out why they don't want you to get a C&C cage. Let us know how it goes! :)

boofp

Cavy Slave
If you have the money to make your own. Buy it they cant say much if you buy it when your not with them.

arionat799

Cavy Slave
Very smart [MENTION=21687]boofp[/MENTION]. Why would they be against you buying it yourself? If it's going in your room, they have nothing to do with it. :)

charliespet

Cavy Slave
wow. I'd give my son a bigger cage if he made me a slideshow presentation LOL Good luck, parents can be stubborn.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd ask for the supplies to build a cage for your birthday or ask if you can do chores to earn money to be able to buy them. Most of the time, it's not understanding the difference a larger cage makes that makes a parent not want to spend them money on upgrading it. You can tell them you'll list your current cage on Craigslist after you build a new one to recoup some of its cost. Meanwhile, look on craigslist for grids in your area and call campaign headquarters in your area to see if you can get coroplast for free. Ask around at your school if anyone has grids they'd want to get rid of.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Very smart [MENTION=21687]boofp[/MENTION]. Why would they be against you buying it yourself? If it's going in your room, they have nothing to do with it. :)

If she's a minor, they do have a say in it. I wouldn't recommend defying her parents' wishes. I'd suggest she try and convince them to change their minds by taking a mature approach and trying to find an inexpensive way of building a new cage.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
They said because they spent money on a petstore cage. I told them it was to small and to not buy it and that I needed to build one and they were like
NOOOOOOO! I tricked my dad into buying the grids not I need coroplast. ;)

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
i suggested attaching the petstore cage to the c&c cage as a kitchen that way it wont be going to waste. That got me no where. I have the grids (My dad bought them because I said I was going to make storage. (I plan on using it for the cage) i found places with coroplast! Now they need to say yes and let me buy it!

PattyPie

Cavy Slave
I live in your area (Chesapeake) and I called all around and have been unable to find free coroplast. I bought a really large sheet (enough for one 2X3 cage and one 2X4 cage) for around $20. We are getting ready to make our current cage into a 2X4 and you are welcome to the 2X3 piece of coroplast if you want it. It's already cut and taped into place. I know that's not really the size you are needing but it's free if you and your parents are interested!

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
They said because they spent money on a petstore cage. I told them it was to small and to not buy it and that I needed to build one and they were like
Seriously ... Your parents need to GROW UP and get off of their "Emperor" trip and allow you to work on something like this. Building a cage like this is a WONDERFUL way to learn the joys of setting a goal and seeing it through to accomplishment. The fact that they seem too close minded to see this is disturbing.

Figure out a way to build this "stealth" - until you're done and then they see what you've accomplished. I'll bet they'll be eating their words.

schavarry

Cavy Slave

Being a mother I can see your parent's point. Maybe you could suggest that you would reimburse them for the cost of the pet store cage (and pay for the cubes/coroplast...) if they let you build the bigger cage and use the pet store one for the kitchen. If my child understood that money was the issue and that I didn't want something perfectly good I paid for to go to waste then I would be more understanding. It's worth a shot...

piggypuppylove

Cavy Slave
I seriously hope adults are not recommending that this minor defy her parents wishes!

As I stated before, the best way to hopefully persuade them to let you build a larger cage is to act responsibly, educate them as much as possible, and be willing to do work in exchange for funds towards a new cage. Don't argue with them, don't stomp around, don't "Figure out a way to build this 'stealth'". If you do, you will make your parents angry and get yourself into trouble. This will not help your GPs in any way. It will just make every angry.

ThisLittlePig

Cavy Slave
I'm a Mom, so I'm going to give you good advice.

You can't defy your parents. That will get you nowhere. Don't be sneaky. It will only make your parents angry, and they would have every right to be. Your room is not yours; it belongs to your parents house.

Your parents obviously have some reason why they don't want you to build a C&C. Pick a time when they are relaxed and tell them you want to talk about this one more time. Explain why you feel it's important to build a cage. Tell them that you realize they have a reason why they don't want you to, and ask what that is. Listen to them. Once you understand their point of view you can see if there's a middle ground. Don't get mad; try to have a mature discussion.

boofp

Cavy Slave
If she's a minor, they do have a say in it. I wouldn't recommend defying her parents' wishes. I'd suggest she try and convince them to change their minds by taking a mature approach and trying to find an inexpensive way of building a new cage.

Yes, I realize I was wrong. I just wanted the best for her guinea pigs. I hate it when people just don't get it.

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
I have reimbursed them for the petstore cage. Ive told them why they need a bigger cage and they just say they don't need one, that their fine in the cage their in. Money isnt an issue I have paid them in full for the petstore cage. I would pay for the coroplast.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.