Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Im planning on making a c and c cage

alisa24.

Cavy Slave
im planning on making a c and c cage it will be my first one does anyone have any tips???
p.s. planning on doing a two level one

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
I only just discovered the "do-it-yourself C&C cage" scene less than two weeks ago, and I just recently finished my first C&C cage - which is an exact replica (color and all) of THIS CAGE . . . complete with first-level storage bins, wheels, ramp, front-load open for both living levels and top open feature.I began learning EVERYTHING I needed starting RIGHT HERE and through these Community Forum sections ... as well as a few additional resources, such as . . .

- YouTube videos - both of/from BlueStone Cages and others who posted up "how-to" videos

- Looking at/studying photos of other people's C&C cages (for ideas, layout, structure, etc)

- A bit of my own creativity/ingenuity thrown in here and there

Through resources such as these, I found and learned pretty much any/all info and guidance I needed to design and build a truly super-cool/amazing new home for our two cavys.

So, if you're like me and just recently discovered the wonderful world and possibilities of C&C cages and may be feeling a bit intimidated by the process and/or as to whether or not you can create an amazing C&C cage creation .... BELIEVE ME - it only LOOKS like it could be difficult ... it really really really isn't.

:)

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
DONT! Hehe 2 level cages are a PAIN in the butt to clean and catch the piggies. I prefer 1 large one level cage. If you are making a 2 level to accomidate separate guinea pigs I highly recommend you have the top level 2 grids above the bottom level so its easy to get into to clean.

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
DONT! Hehe 2 level cages are a PAIN in the butt to clean and catch the piggies. I prefer 1 large one level cage. If you are making a 2 level to accomidate separate guinea pigs I highly recommend you have the top level 2 grids above the bottom level so its easy to get into to clean.
Actually, the two level I made - again, an exact replica of the BlueStone Colonial Homestead Deluxe - was pretty easy to make and is VERY easy to clean. The front grids open and the cloroplast folds out so that I can simply sweep out the bedding, easily wipe down and replace.

Watch this video all the way through and you'll see what I mean . . .

[video=youtube_share;CrP2TXfHqMc]

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Look in the photo galleries at the cages and accessories

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I absolutely agree! People often don't consider the fact that there are many, many cage ideas in the photo gallery and one can almost always find something suitable to copy. The problem is that it will give you so many ideas that you may do as I did and keep revising your plan........and it takes forever to complete the cage. :rolleyes:

Since you're still in the planning stage, one consideration that many folks omit.......the issue of whether to create a bottom on the cage, or not. If you are going to have the cage always sitting on the floor, then no problem with not having a bottom. But, if you are going to put the cage on a table or something similar, then you need to consider a bottom to make the cage more structurally sound. A cage with no bottom is easily dislodged and can fall onto the floor from a height......taking cavies and all with it. Just sets up your babies for injuries, not to mention the mess it makes.

My cage sits on a grid base which is constructed separately from the cage. The cage is then zip-tied onto the base and the whole assembly is v-e-r-y sturdy. If you're having difficulty with the connectors sliding off, try using a dab of Krazy-Glue, clear nail polish, or a high-temperature glue gun. I'm a big fan of the glue gun (for lots of projects) and use it for everything from assembling the coroplast boxes to securing the connectors on the cage.

Yes, I dont think you ever really finish the cage. I already and Redesigning the cage. My sister is moving in with us and we have to move the cage in my room and thus has to be redesigned to fit. lol

CavyPeep

Cavy Slave
You will LOVE the C and C cage! :) and i am sure your piggy will be delighted too. Once you make the cage you will be able to see why everyone loves them so much my tips are

1. Dont make a 2 level cage unless you put it high up(so its easy to reach) or the 2nd level is gonna be big because i have a 1 by 2 upper level and it was a pain to clean and put hay and food up there

2. Fill it with things to do! Since you are going to have a big cage now put some hidey houses and maybe some hand made toys in there to keep them busy

I am actually getting new chloroplast for the bottom of my C and C cage today :)
Happy building!

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
Yes, I dont think you ever really finish the cage. I already and Redesigning the cage. My sister is moving in with us and we have to move the cage in my room and thus has to be redesigned to fit. lol
It CAN be addicting (in a good way) . . . I mean, the cage I built is PLENTY big - and our two cavys are FINALLY using the ramp between levels (thereby enjoying the full luxury of the mega duplex I built for them) :cool: However, the creative process - and sheer possibilities - was (and IS) so much fun, it's hard not to want to expand and create all kinds of cool extensions and things.

Which kind of begs the question .... How does one KNOW if the critters are enjoying and appreciating their new home and space? :confused:

Anyway .... if it weren't for space constrictions (we live in an - albeit decent sized - apartment with an attached garage (where our cavys live - the door to which is ALWAYS open)), I would probably be continuing to build all kinds of fun/crazy extensions onto/for the cage.

IN FACT, I've got the DIY bug so bad now, I am starting to do the research and make plans to build a really cool condo tree for our three cats. :crazy: (It's truly amazing the things one can create DIY'ing, the resources available to learn from, and the relative money one can save compared to comparative retail products).

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
1. Dont make a 2 level cage unless you put it high up(so its easy to reach) or the 2nd level is gonna be big because i have a 1 by 2 upper level and it was a pain to clean and put hay and food up there
Let me premise this by saying I am NOT arguing with you or discrediting your opinion/advice. The bottom line is, whatever works best for each person's particular circumstances is what will be best for them and their little loved ones.

The only thing I wanted to chime in on - as I did in my comments in Post #4 above - is that IF one wants to create a two level cage, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a hassle to clean. There ARE creative and very viable ways to construct one's cage to make the clean up process amazingly easier. Again, I reference the video I posted above (see Post #4) - about 3/4 of the way through .... the part about assembling the grids to allow for a "front-load/open" feature and function so that you can simply open the front door/flap and simply sweep/scoop out the litter (or whatever one uses for surface covering) and just as easily replace it. It also makes for very easy access to one's piggies - especially on the first level. This is exactly what I did - and it's working out great !!!

As for the cage having a bottom or issues as to it sliding around on a table top (if that is where someone may have been contemplating placing the cage), a very viable and easy alternative might be to attach wheels to the bottom of the cage and keep it on the ground/floor level. I figured out how to do this very inexpensively and explain such in THIS THREAD. :)

Again, PLEASE do not take my tag on comments as dismissive or argumentative to yours. I am only offering some additional insight . . . as a relative NEWBIE to the C&C cage world . . . as to my experience thus far and what has worked out very well for both our two little ones as well as for the enjoyment of our family in seeing how they take to their new mega home. :)

2. Fill it with things to do! Since you are going to have a big cage now put some hidey houses and maybe some hand made toys in there to keep them busy
Couldn't agree more with this advice. In fact, I'm headin' to the PetSmart later today to pick up a few extra play things for our two little ones. I also want to try to figure out how to make one of those "fleece forests" - it looks like it could be a lot of fun for our boys.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Which kind of begs the question .... How does one KNOW if the critters are enjoying and appreciating their new home and space? :confused:

They give you their popcorning of approval. :)

CavyPeep

Cavy Slave
Let me premise this by saying I am NOT arguing with you or discrediting your opinion/advice. The bottom line is, whatever works best for each person's particular circumstances is what will be best for them and their little loved ones.

The only thing I wanted to chime in on - as I did in my comments in Post #4 above - is that IF one wants to create a two level cage, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a hassle to clean. There ARE creative and very viable ways to construct one's cage to make the clean up process amazingly easier. Again, I reference the video I posted above (see Post #4) - about 3/4 of the way through .... the part about assembling the grids to allow for a "front-load/open" feature and function so that you can simply open the front door/flap and simply sweep/scoop out the litter (or whatever one uses for surface covering) and just as easily replace it. It also makes for very easy access to one's piggies - especially on the first level. This is exactly what I did - and it's working out great !!!

As for the cage having a bottom or issues as to it sliding around on a table top (if that is where someone may have been contemplating placing the cage), a very viable and easy alternative might be to attach wheels to the bottom of the cage and keep it on the ground/floor level. I figured out how to do this very inexpensively and explain such in THIS THREAD. :)

Again, PLEASE do not take my tag on comments as dismissive or argumentative to yours. I am only offering some additional insight . . . as a relative NEWBIE to the C&C cage world . . . as to my experience thus far and what has worked out very well for both our two little ones as well as for the enjoyment of our family in seeing how they take to their new mega home. :)

Couldn't agree more with this advice. In fact, I'm headin' to the PetSmart later today to pick up a few extra play things for our two little ones. I also want to try to figure out how to make one of those "fleece forests" - it looks like it could be a lot of fun for our boys.

yes you are right, and i could have probably done a better job making my 2nd level lol

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I being a skinny, short mom of 2 young kids have made over 30 different designs of cages in the last 5 years.

I personally do NOT like cages directly on the floor. We live in a tiny 700 square foot 2 bedroom apt with myself 2 human kids, 2 cats and 4 male guinea pigs. So space is very important. I LOVE having my cages on stands so I can stuff the underside with all their fleece, hay, laundry basket, houses and such.

I personally do not like having to step into a cage to clean it up. Something nasty always gets stuck to my feet and then dragged all over my carpet.

I personally do not like cages wider than 2 cubes because I am short and cannot scrub the coro in the back without killing my knees and back.

I personally hate ramps. My guinea pigs aways trap eachother on the ramps and have huge fights or one always stays up (or down) and never gets the full benefit of having the ramp.

I personally hate multiple levels (if they are 1 grid high) because of above mentioned issues as well as getting into the back to scrub the coro. (most pigs like peeing and pooping and sleeping in the farthest darkest corners).

I like any cages that are 2 grids deep and single level for each set of piggies. I do have a stacked cage right now. Its similar to my old one minus the ramp(this was temporary until my coro came in, it was only without sides for about 12 hours)

P1070030.jpg

But I had this one:

P1060931.jpg

Which I hated stepping into and since the floor was an old tarp the poos and hay got kicked everywhere. Even down the hall...

I hated this one too:

P1060922.jpg

Because getting under the ramp everyday was difficult and time consuming.

You are supposed to sweep the cage at least once a day (twice is preferable) and remove the bedding at least once a week so if it isn't easy to get into and do this on a regular basis then its not going to get done and you arn't gonna want to continue doing it for the next 7-9 years of their life! So do what ever works best for you and your piggies. Don't be afraid to change it either. Coroplast can always be recut, retaped over and over again! Hehe I'm getting to be a pro. I change my cage at least 4-5 times a year and I have only bought coroplast 3 times in the last 5 years! I also LOVE using zip ties. they really help with the stability of the cage.

Good luck and we would love to hear (and see) what you decide!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.