Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury limping

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
my skinny pig boy is limping! this was outta the blue so i checked his feet, no bubble foot or noticable injury. (dont know why he would have bubble feet, but whatever) i know i should take him to a vet BUT we just had a huge thing with the false pregnancy and x-rays and health checks which was $$$$$$!!!! what should i do?

i keep him out side with his friend in a 1x4 hutch (just for a few days i took ALOT of precautions! im cleaning my room full out and i cant have all my pigs in here right now)
what do i do?! i dont think anthings broken but i would need x-rays before i can tell... anything special i should do, feed, message?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Skinny (hairless) pigs should NOT be outside, period. Their lack of hair makes them highly suceptable to insect bites, cold, heat, irritations, dryskin, sunburn and the like.

I would bring all skinnies inside immediately and keep a very close eye out on the one that is limping. If he limps longer than 2 days I would bring him in. He could have just gotten spooked and pulled a muscle or it could be as serious as a fracture.

Also it bumble foot (like bumble bee!) not bubble foot. Hehe

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that you need to bring them indoors. They're at risk of being killed by a predator out there. Guinea pigs try and hide illness and injuries because they're prey animals and don't want to look vulnerable so the limping is something that needs attention. I wouldn't wait too long to have it checked since he might be in pain.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
the cage is covered and and im checking the weather all the time, i also check him all time time.

its either outside for a few days or all my pigs will have to be rehomed. NO.

ive always heard bubble foot, but thank you.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
the cage is covered and in a place inside shade, my cage is mesh and wood, off the regular ground. ill watch him tonight for awhile and check over him and see if hes in pain.

pinky

Cavy Slave
the cage is covered and in a place inside shade, my cage is mesh and wood, off the regular ground. ill watch him tonight for awhile and check over him and see if hes in pain.

Our rescue received a guinea pig give up that was surrendered because a predator broke into their "secure" outdoor cage killing one guinea pig and traumatizing the other so badly that he never recovered. Outdoors is never good unless you are there with them at all times.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
then what do i do? they cant go in my room and i dont want to give him up just because he cant stay outside one more night?!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Can they go into another room?

pinky

Cavy Slave
then what do i do? they cant go in my room and i dont want to give him up just because he cant stay outside one more night?!

My guinea pigs live in my dining room all the time. If I ever bring in a guinea pig to do an adoption here, they stay in my living room. When I've had overnight visitors, they stayed in my family room in my lower level. They don't care. They'll be safe that way.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Why cant they be inside and why one night?

https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59836

https://www.guinealynx.info/housing.html

Guinea pigs are very succeptable to cold and hot, (anything below 60 for a haired pig and 75 for a hairless) and anything above 85 for either is BAD! You have to factor in wind chill, sun at various times of the day and such too. I say to people if they wouldn't leave their naked (or lightly clothed) newborn infant and keep them their all night and all day they I wouldn't recommend it for an animal because animals are just as helpless and dependent on us as infants.

Cant you put a towel down in a bathtub for the night and close the bathroom door with hay, veggies, pellets and a water bottle? That would have been a better solution than sticking them outside! Or in a hallway? Or other room. I have a 700 square foot apt and I would FIND a place to put my piggies before I ever allowed them to stay outside. Its just far too risky.

Your piggy probably got spooked being outside and charged into the wire and wood cage injuring his leg. Hopefully its not bad!

Good luck and keep us updated!

pinky

Cavy Slave

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
my dad complains if they are ANYWHERE but my room.... its 78 outside and there is 5mph wind. but the wind is blocked on all sides.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
i use clean fleece, but my dad... *rolls eyes* hes in charge and i have to follow what he says, even without smell he complains.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that they can get bit by a spider or something like a snake can even get in there. Can you imagine sleeping out there at night?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
If he shelled out lots of money for the vet before, I'm sure you can appeal to him not wanting to spend more on vet care by explaining the health implications of having them outside.

You can reason with your parents while still being nice and respectful. Just watch your tone and wording.

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
Keep in mind that they can get bit by a spider or something like a snake can even get in there. Can you imagine sleeping out there at night?
I have slept out there, they are in a nice safe place, but NO ONE has answered my question about the limping, what do i do about it. I have repeatdly said the closest time he can go in the house is tomorrow not that long of a wait, i need to know what to do about his leg NOW!! any tip will be great!

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
If he shelled out lots of money for the vet before, I'm sure you can appeal to him not wanting to spend more on vet care by explaining the health implications of having them outside.

You can reason with your parents while still being nice and respectful. Just watch your tone and wording.

my dad give my pigs money?!?!?!? thats unheard of, i gave about $200 in vet bills my friend gave about $30 my mom did the rest. and now im broke, remeber im only 14 and get $5 a week for chores. I give my all for my pigs and I wish i could give more! I currently am with my dad thats why mom pigs are outside at my moms they have floor time in my ENTIRE room which is quite large, and their cages are both 2x5.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
If you get 5 dollars a week for chores, it would take you almost 4 years to rack up 200 dollars. Surely you have recieved money from another source.

OneTwo already answered your question, which is why people are trying to get you to move the pigs inside. One night is all it takes for something bad to happen. My biggest concern with children having pets is their parents' unwillingness to cooperate with the care of the pigs. If you can't reason with your parents and have to compromise your pig's health in situations like this..why do you have them?

guineapigfied

Cavy Slave
christmas and birthday XD

my mom and step dad ADORE THEM!!! and are willing to go to great lenghts for them, but they live an hour away and i didnt choose for my parents to divorce i had to live with it. My girls (who are haired) have been out there for awhile have NEVER had any trouble or any illness from being outside are doing just fine! And i do my ABSOLUTE best i can, just because im a "child" doesnt mean i cant give my pigs the care an adult can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.