Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions bumblefoot, impactions, etc

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
OK, I've been reading all day on Guinea Lynx, and I have some questions. Please don't tell me to go to the vet, it's not an option. Long story.

1. Can I use this on the boars red, chapped feet? Is it safe? It's meant for dogs. I could let it absorb, then wipe it off. I can't get coconut oil til Thursday. Or is there something else I can use to moisturize their feet?
[h=1]Tender Foot[/h]
javascript:popupWin1('/product/deta...er/lg-22803-50198-dog.jpg', 50, 50, 460, 485)

Ingredients
Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Panthenol (Vit. B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), d-Biotin (Vit. H), and Niacinamide (Vit. B3), in a protective non-greasy moisturizing cream base. Suggested Use
Squeeze a 1/2" ribbon of Tender Foot on your finger or apply directly to the pad or elbow. Massage gently into your dog's foot pads and elbows. Use daily to moisturize and restore resiliency of dry, cracked, chapped or calloused skin and tissue.

2. Baytril. From what I read for bumblefoot, it's 10mg/kg twice per day. The boar weighs just under 1kg, so I'd be giving 10mg twice per day. Right?

3. I'm going to soak his bad foot. Should I try to work the scab off, or leave it alone?

4. I don't have mineral oil, either. Can I use extra virgin olive oil to try to get the smegma off? Am I supposed to try to get it all off, and down to clean skin, or is some residue of cecum normal?

5. I had bought acidophilus for my bunny after his surgery. The man at the store said when the capsules are opened and the powder sprinkled over food, the beneficial bacteria wouldn't make it through the stomach. Is there something better to use? I thought I had read something about a triple probiotic?

I appreciate all the help and support. I've now gone from angry and annoyed to worried sick. I can't think of anything else but trying to help the boys recover.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I don't have much experience with bumblefoot. If I were you, I'd post over at GL.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use anything non-edible on their foot pads. They groom themselves constantly and the little bit of chemicles in the dog stuff might not irritate a dog but guinea pigs have a different digestive system and they are tinier so more succpetable to small amounts of toxic chemicles.

I would read the GL instructions on both. Mineral oil I've read recently shouldn't be used for impaction issues anymore. Coconut oil is the new recommendation (they haven't updated their page yet as far as I know) . Coconut oil is available at pretty much every grocery store in the oils isle. Even places like walmart, target and cub should have them. It might come in a jar instead of a plastic bottle and it might look like a white solid like lard/shortning. But it should be easy to find.

Definately do the foot soak and if there is debris, pus, and what not in the foot pad you should gently soak the scab off and keep opening until everything inside drains out. If there is no pus the first time or no infection in there I would just leave the scab to heal on its own. The most important part of soaking to to remove debris and pus. You can use a tiny bit of antibacterial ointment like neosporin to rub in but make sure you wipe off as much access as possible afterwards. Guinea pigs with bumblefood should be bedded on Fleece and towels and should be swept 3-5 times a day to prevent poop from getting into the sore and the fleece and towels should be washed daily.

Impaction is a terrible pain to deal with. Its a constant issue and will have to be done frequently for the remainder of the boys life. Use many many qtips, lots of coconut oil and lots of kleenex. You might have to tackle it in pieces get some of it out and see how much he can work out on his own. O and don't forget to put vicks just under your nose so the smell doesn't make you vomit. Its horrid.

We would love to see pics of the guinea pig so we can judge how severe of an issue it is and any other advice.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I did read guinea Lynx's area on everything-teeth, pododermatitis, antibiotics, etc. I just want to make sure i'm doing everyhting right.

Their feet are red from dirty bedding, and would probably have turned into bumblefoot if left much longer. I did switch the boys to fleece over towels until I can get some more Uhaul pads. On Guinea Lynx it also talked about putting a corn pad (not corn remover) over the scab to protect the foot even further. Has anyone tried this?

Also, i wanted to double check the dosage on the Baytril. 10mg/kg twice per day. Bob weighs 1kg, so I'm going to give him 10mg twice a day for a total of 20mg/day.

I had posted these pics on another thread, but wanted to separate my ranting from the medical. Here are some pics:
03152012-boars 007.jpg
03152012-boars 008.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I got that you are reading over at GL, but do you have a post there in the med section? I know there are people there with experience with bumblefoot, and could probably help with your dosage info, too.

Math is not my strong point. I am not even going to attempt to help you there!

That top photo looks like full blown bumblefoot to me.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it is. Crappola! Anyway, I called the vet, told him I'm fostering, and he gave me Baytril without an office visit. YAY! So we're working on it. I just want to protect all the other feet, too. I got the impactions cleaned out (lots of bribes afterward), and penises cleaned off. I'm so glad my girls don't have these issues.
For your pleasure:
BOB id black with bumblefoot, TOM is brown03152012-boars 011.jpg
03152012-boars 010.jpg
03152012-boars 009.jpg

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
They were horrified by all the, um, er, intimate attention. So was I, actually, LOL. Ewww. They are on fleece over towels now. Pink, but that's all i had washed up and ready to go, poor things. I'm hoping to remedy that this weekend, so as not to offend their masculinity further.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Bob looks violated. You just cleaned his anal sac for the first time right before that picture didn't you?

LOL I'm glad they're getting the care they deserve.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I thought he just looked scared, but after that comment, I went and looked again. Yes! He does! ROFL! I was laughing so hard. Poor guy! He's thinking "What the heck was that for? What are you going to do to me next? Argggg!"

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Yeah. He has the same shocked look on his face that I'd expect from any man who walks into a dr's office and gets a surprise prostate check.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I will never look at that picture the same again! ROFL!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Update: I posted over at GuineaLynx, and was told about Gorgeous Guineas foot ointment, and it's very affordable. I'll be ordering it on Friday. I soaked Bob's foot in epsom salts-actually, I just plopped him down in the bowl so his back foot would soak, too. Rinsed him off, and held him for about an hour in a towel so he could dry off, rotating him onto the dry areas every so often. Then I coated his front foot with Neosporin, and we sat for another hour. Wiped it off, placed a corn pad over front and back foot so the areas that are the worst would be in the hole in the middle, and wrapped with vet wrap. He still has his booties on, and it's been 3 1/2 hrs. He doesn't seem to mind them, and I'm so glad he's not chewing at them. So far, I actually think it looks worse. I'll get an x-ray by this wekend if the booties aren't helping. [/FONT]

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Ugh gl. Keep us posted.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I actually didn't get too much help over at 'lynx. I guess everyone just does the best they can, and that's it. There aren't any hard and fast rules for treatment. I have read a horror story about a 3-legged pig that died, tho', so I'm more determined than ever to do everything I can to save his foot. He is such a sweet boy, never bites no matter what I do to him. He and his friend Tom are so grateful for fresh salad, endless hay, and a full bowl of pellets, it's pathetic. His ears are chewed and shredded, and I found out he's survived a serious bout of mites in the past. I feel horrible for the things I have to do to him, he's suffered so much already. Nothing for it, I guess, but to keep going.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I love the "violated" picture! Best of luck with his healing! I had minimal bumble foot to deal with when my poor boy was on wood shavings, I soaked him in a tupperware container with 1/4 cup water and 1/8 tsp of epsom salts, it helped the healing but he tried to drink the water so be careful with that. Keep us posted!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
he tried to drink the water so be careful with that.
Yippee Skippy. I never though about that one. I thought is was bad when we were sitting here waiting for the neosporin to absorb, and he started eating his poops. Blech! I make sure to have his salad ready when we do foot soaks now.

His front foot looks marginally better, so I'm continuing the epsom salt foot soaks, baytril, and now coconut oil, which I rub on all 4 feet to keep the skin soft. I apply a corn pad, with a hole in the middle, centered over the scab, then a non-adherent guaze pad, and vetrap. He leaves it alone, so I think it feels good. After an initial weight loss of approximately 2 oz, he bounced back and gained weight, and both he and his cage mate are on an upward trend. (Yay!) The boys have transitioned into their new 9 sq ft cage (I do plan to make it bigger in the future, but this was all I have for now) so they are able to move around more.

The problem: For all the progress with the front foot, increasing movement, better diet, changing cage fleece every 2 days, and poop sweeping every day, his rear foot is looking worse. It's starting to swell slightly, and it's more red, with a callous forming. Any time I try to wrap it like I do the front, it swells up, and capillary refill is very slow. I'm assuming it's because of the way he lays on it, since I know the wrap is not to tight. Any ideas on this? This pig is soon going to become permanently attached to my lap for all the foot soaks and bandage sessions. Which I don't mind, really, but some progress would be nice.
I just wish I could cushion that back foot somehow. Any ideas?

schavarry

Cavy Slave

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I had wrapped it the same way as the front. This last time, I took the vetrap off, and the corn pad stayed stuck to his foot, so I left it there. As of this morning, it's still stuck to his foot. He does look funny walking around with this huge pad stuck to his foot, but maybe this will work.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Is he still on antibiotics? If so, what's the dosage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.