Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Boy pigs and cage???

B

Brynn

Boy pigs and cage???

Hey everyone! I was considering getting another male pig for my male pig and I was wondering if they do get along when I introduce them will they be able to live in a 2X3 cage together with upper deck?? Can you please help me!!!!!!!!!!

L

Laura Irene

Re: Boy pigs and cage???

It wouldn't be reccomended, but if you don't have any more room, It's better than any pet store cage! One thing you have to consider, though, is they may fight in a small cage, they may not, but you may need to expand the cage. (I'm not trying to enforce the myth of two boars fighting, just that because it is smaller than recomended)

*Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki*

D

DionAW

There's a high likelyhood that they'll start fighting if you just put the other pig in there. But there is a way to slowly get them to meet eachother. get a grid-piece and set it so that the pigs are on iether side of it. That way they can smell eachother, see eachother, and maybe even try to fight through the grid. If They do start fighting put another grid about an inch from the first one so that they can't reach eachother. After a day or two of this, if they look pretty calm with eachother, you can remove the grids and see how they do. Otherwise, put the grids back and wait a bit longer. They will eventually learn to get along. :) But do remember, instincts can start up at any time so you still have a risk even after they've gotten to know eachother.

W

Windiain

I have a 2x3 cage due to the fact that I literally don't have the room for anything bigger (as much as I'd love a bigger cage). In this cage live two piggies and a rabbit, and they get along fine in there, and are far happier than they were in their old hutch. Bigger IS better, but a 2x3 cage doesn't cause unhappy piggies - especially if they're getting plenty of time outside the cage, too.

So far as introducing piggies goes, it's best to keep them in seperate cages while you're introducing them (or with a partition if you're using the coroplast cage), getting them together in some 'neutral' ground so the original piggy doesn't feel like his territory is being invaded. I let mine run around the living room together the first time they met (I guess an outside run would work as well). Luckily, they got along really well from the first moment together. They both started moping when I put them back in their separate cages!

Attachments

PROFILE PICTURE.JPG Penny and banditr.jpg Cocoa.jpg
N

Nibblet8

I have 2 males in a 2x3 cage with an upperdeck. They get along great! I tried the seperate cages but they wanted to play together so badly that i had to let them be together. :) They are SO HAPPY :D

At first my baby piggie was so small he could slip through the squares, so I put a small cage in the C&C cage so they could get to know each other. They were originally introduced at floor time (neutral zone).

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.