Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C C&C Travel Cage?

JadeRenee

Cavy Slave
So I have a bunch of extra grids and have been thinking about getting my hands on some extra coroplast and making myself a C&C travel cage. I am thinking of just making it a 1x2, with a swinging/locking door. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this, and if so do they have pics they could share?

My C&C is just put together using zip ties. I know that making a travel cage using just zip ties probably wouldn't work and I'd have to use connectors and then zip tie for stability. I was also trying to think of ideas of what to use for the handle. When I took my boys to the vet, individually, I just put them in a box since that's all I had... I think having some sort of travel cage would be better, plus I figured I could use it to carry them outside when it's warmer out and I let them graze on the grass.

Anyone have any pics/suggestions?

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I transport Radley, my single sow, in a 1x1 cube with the top off. That way, she is cozy safe but I can easily access her next to me in the passenger seat if need be. I'd be afraid that with a 1x2, your piggies would have too much room to move around and if the car crashed, they would be more likely to go flying out. Could you fashion a lid?

CMDixon7

Cavy Slave
I have seen zip ties on every other square throughout the grids, so 4 or 5 zip ties per grid/per side and then the top as a hinge using zip ties on one side then mini carabiner clips on the 3 other sides. Basically lots and lots of zip ties. Personally I gravitate towards more enclosed cases for travel.. Protects from some stimulation and from drafts. I use an old case I had for my min pin, a semi rigid sherpa carrier, this way they have some privacy and don't get too stressed out. Maybe it is just mine but they seem to like the enclosed space. In their cage they are nuts but traveling, I am not sure how they feel about the instability of movign around in something.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
For the money and aggravation, I would suggest just buying a small cat carrier. It would fit 2 pigs comfortably, and be much safer and secure while traveling. Handles are included, and make it easy to run a seatbelt through to secure in the car. Its about their safety, and especially in a crash. Too big and they go flying around in the carrier, and I don't think a homemade cage is as sturdy and will stay together as well as a store bought cage. Also, you need to focus on driving, not be worrying about them in the carrier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.