Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Missing nail!

triciafb

Cavy Slave
Noticed the other day that one of my piggies is missing a nail on her front leg!
My husband and I are both in school during the day, and we heard nothing out of ordinary in the evenings.
It looks as if the nail is completely gone... :(
There had been some bleeding apparently because there is a bit of dried blood on her toe. We didn't see any blood anywhere on any of the bedding. She has been acting normal, aside from a day or two when she seemed to 'mope' but we thought it was because she ate too much lol. We didn't see it because she is a long hair, and quite fluffy. We check nails once a week when we change out bedding and that is when we noticed it.
There is no redness, she isn't bothered by it, she popcorns when its time for food, and runs after the other piggy. Should I go ahead and take her to the vet, or should I take a wait and see approach to it and keep an eye on it, and just take her in if it gets bad?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No need to go to the vet unless you see swelling, discharge, or a bad smell. Or limping.

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I'd wait and see. If it's not bothering her, red and swollen, or oozing any fluid, then I'd advise just to keep an eye on it. Did you find the nail anywhere? I wonder if she got into a fight, or got it caught in bedding and pulled it out?

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
I read that rabbit's nails will fall off if not trimmed enough. Maybe it's the same for piggies? How long were her nails?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd just really check to see that there's no woven fabric or gaps or places where she can catch a toe or foot. It sounds like it will heal up on its own but I'd check to see if there's something that needs to be adjusted or removed from the cage, just in case.

triciafb

Cavy Slave
When I checked her feet, it was when I had checked the other piggys feet too, and she needed a clipping. That is when I found that she had been missing the nail. We have fleece bedding in the living area, and a paper type bedding in the kitchen. The only thing I can think of is that it was somehow caught on the ramp going into the kitchen... but we have watched her go in and out without any trouble, and it is a solid plastic ramp.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/66853-one-week-later-2.html#post619931
My setup is the one at the end of the page, with the pink sheet under the cages.

I really am baffled at how it could have happened lol.
We will definitely be keeping an eye on her. Thanks all :)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
My guess would be that she may have caught it on the white bar of the store bought cage. From that photo you can see a bar under the opening that holds onto the cage's base. I would guess that it could possibly got caught when jumping in or out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My guess would be that she may have caught it on the white bar of the store bought cage. From that photo you can see a bar under the opening that holds onto the cage's base. I would guess that it could possibly got caught when jumping in or out.

I agree with you. I think I'd add something to cover that gap. They could catch a foot in there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.