PDA

View Full Version : Feet Are These Nails Too Long?

mufasa
04-03-12, 11:43 am
I just got my new piggy Leela, and I'm worried that her nails are too long. I didn't notice at the humane society where I adopted her or I would have asked them about it. When she stands on a smooth surface, it looks like they almost curl under. Sorry the picture below isn't too good, but hopefully the cavy savvy people can still tell:
If they need clipping, I plan to take her to the vet tech who knows piggies at the nearby clinic for the first trimming, since she's so new here and therefore a little skittish. I don't think she got much exercise at the humane society because she was in a small, very cluttered pet store cage, so I doubt she had a chance to wear her nails down much.

CavyMama
04-03-12, 12:05 pm
Yes, those nails definitely need trimming. The good news is, they are light and the quick is easy to see. It should be easy enough for you to clip them.

mufasa
04-03-12, 12:09 pm
Thanks for the second opinion! I have cat claw clippers, but I'm a little nervous. I might try, and then if she's just too squirmy, I'll take her to the vet tech. She's actually a very good girl about being handled but I haven't messed with her feet much yet. I'll try it this weeked after she's had a few days to settle in.

CavyMama
04-03-12, 12:11 pm
The quick is the pink part you see in the nail. It's the bloodline for the toes. Just make sure you keep the cut below the quick and it should be fine.

ThePigAlchemist
04-03-12, 12:13 pm
Oh dear. At least they're light. When you start clipping them, just be really careful. I've taken care of some at my shelter who had veritable talons, and even though I only took off very small amounts, they still bled. It might take a few weeks to get them back down to a normal length.

Fizzlepop40
04-03-12, 12:14 pm
If you give her a treat to munch on, she might not be so squirmy. :)

OllieandFriends
04-03-12, 12:18 pm
I always have someone else hold my squirmy pig while I clip his nails, it works really well. My other I can bribe with food, usually his favorite: carrots :)

pinky
04-03-12, 12:35 pm
Ask your vet to show you how to do it. That's the best way and ask if you can try it while they watch. Those clear nails are easy to trim.

Zuidy
04-03-12, 12:35 pm
Nobody has mentioned this, but it really is reassuring to have some Styptic Powder on hand. It is found at most pet stores, just ask. It comes in a little jar and you can apply it with a wet Q-Tip. The blood absorbs the powder and the nail will stop bleeding. (if you cut too short, that is)

Also, I recommend using human nail clippers, preferably toe nail clippers for thick nails. Cat nail clippers are probably guillotine style. They work, but I would rather use human clippers.

:)

CavyMama
04-03-12, 12:43 pm
Yes toenail clippers can work but the trouble is, they are limited in how wide they open. So especially in the case of thick nails, you might not be able to use toenail clippers because they might not be able to reach around the thickness of the nail.

ThePigAlchemist
04-03-12, 12:46 pm
I have a pair of puppy nail clippers that work really well for me. I'm not sure how different (if at all) they are from cat nail clippers, but they can clip nails of any size I've seen yet.

schavarry
04-03-12, 12:47 pm
Thanks for the second opinion! I have cat claw clippers, but I'm a little nervous. I might try, and then if she's just too squirmy, I'll take her to the vet tech. She's actually a very good girl about being handled but I haven't messed with her feet much yet. I'll try it this weeked after she's had a few days to settle in.

I'll tell you what I was told when I first got my piggies. Try holding her and tapping the clippers on her nails without cutting the nails so she gets used to the sight of you with the scissors near her feet and hopefully she won't freak out too much when you actually do cut them a few days later. Also it can be especially helpful to have a second person hold your piggy while you cut or you hold and they cut so you don't drop her.

southernfury
04-03-12, 12:49 pm
I use Human toe nail clippers for our piggies..!! Mocha's nails do the same thing as Leela does..curl..!! Mocha's is a little harder to cut cause her nails are dark.! I have my son or daughter hold her or i lay her on something to where i can get to her nails easily...and i will use my finger underneath her paw...to help brace it and spread the nails out more. It took me a lil bit not to be so nervous when i trim their nails, but after a few times..u will get to see which way works best for u !!

Kim37040
04-03-12, 01:44 pm
I clip their nails solo.
I have now started doing a little clip every week. For some reason some of the nails grow a lot faster on some toes for all of my boys.

Here is a little video of how I hold them when I clip their nails.
Good Luck

Cutting Charlie&#39 (http://youtu.be/xppVaoszjB4)s nails - YouTube

nibbler100
04-03-12, 01:59 pm
chairls cute XD haha.. i witsh it was that easy for me

spy9doc
04-03-12, 05:21 pm
I'm going to "out" Kim here. Kim made the funniest video of her doing butt cleaning on Charlie. He is definitely NOT your average piggy and seems to have absolute trust in Kim no matter what she is doing.

ellisa
04-03-12, 05:26 pm
I'm going to "out" Kim here. Kim made the funniest video of her doing butt cleaning on Charlie. He is definitely NOT your average piggy and seems to have absolute trust in Kim no matter what she is doing.

That's my fav video. I love Charlie, he's so adorable.

Tangled
04-03-12, 05:55 pm
I've never clipped a guinea pig's nails before, but I used to have a rabbit that needed his nails clipped every now and then. I HATED the cat clippers with a passion, because he was too squirmy for me to get his nails in the stupid guillotine thing(I always managed to cut the nail too short on at least 2 nails because he was moving too much), but they were definitely too thick for human nail clippers. I ended up getting creative and found a really small pair of wire cutters in my dad's toolbox and started using those for bunny manicures. Sounds kind of barbaric, I guess, but those worked the best out of everything else I tried. Not having to wrestle with getting the nail into a little slot cut down on the too short nails 100%.

SeeSpotSit
04-03-12, 06:02 pm
Here's another video done by the woman who runs the rescue I went to:

Pet Guinea Pig Nail Clipping Instruction - YouTube (http://youtu.be/UNAX_k2EGw4)