Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cages: bitter sweet!

schavarry

Cavy Slave
So today I finally got the 2nd cage finished, the fleece bedding for both made, new "kitchens" in turkey roasting pans and they're all set up!!

It was bitter sweet because they were both SO happy to have the extra space to run around and the new fleece bedding! Bye bye nasty wood chips!!! But they were both wheaking really loud because they couldn't see each other. When they were in the divided cage they could walk up to one another and "chat" through the divider but now they're on separate levels. Either way I've never seen Cinnamon popcorn SO much! :)

Pictures are coming soon... I have to figure out how to shrink them...

Angie315

Cavy Slave
Do they like the fleece better than the shavings? My husband and I are debating on which would be best and would love to hear your experiece!

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
- The new cage! YAY

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Do they like the fleece better than the shavings? My husband and I are debating on which would be best and would love to hear your experiece!

I had one of my piggies get bumble foot - I think it was because of the shavings he was on. And it was such a pain to clean their cage before. So far I'm really liking the fleece and they're loving it! I'm getting ready to make a fleece forest too! BTW I fleece will be cheaper in the long run! $2+ a week on bedding VS $10+ for fleece and either old towels or $7 for a u-haul pad that should last at least a year! (I'm using a generic care fresh bedding for their kitchen but I can use 1/4 of a bag on 2 kitchen boxes - much less than regular bedding)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
The poop you have to scoop up is kinda gross, but it is totaly worth it

I use plastic disposable gloves I bought at the dollar store - $1 for 100 and I only need to use them on one hand so 100 days?! or 50 at least!

Also you can use rubber gloves like you would use to clean dishes (non disposable ones) or a mini broom and dust pan (isn't really working for me cuz my piggies pooped on the edge of the fleece so it would fall onto the coroplast lol)

Angie315

Cavy Slave
Okay, so the fleece def. sounds doable. Thank you Go_Ellie and Schavarry! Couple of questions, how can you tell if they have sensitive feet? And, I have read of bumblefoot but what exactly is it?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong-

Bumble foot is basically an infection in the foot - the feet get rubbed raw by bedding, then infected by walking on pee/poop and then it swells up.

More info here https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.