Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Do You Serve Your Hay Without Mess

pennick

Cavy Slave
I have a 9lb bag of hay in my room. how do you get a serving of hay out of the bag into the cage without it going all over the place? Anyone tackle this problem?

candi

Cavy Slave
Put the bag right next to the cage while you pull some out.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
I smash it and wad it up in a ball.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
It's impossible. Hay is messy. I have found hay all the way upstairs in my bed. Embrace the mess.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I swear I have bits of hay in nearly every room in my house. I have not found a way not to get hay into the cage without pieces falling out somewhere. The hay is stored in the utility room and the cages are in my bedroom. I use a small pan and transfer but hay still tends to fall out here and there.

cara74

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a mess. I have hay and KD pine everywhere. I feel like I am vacuuming everyday. I don't think it matters how careful you can be. If it's not me making the mess it's my girls....

Zeander

Cavy Slave
Our bull terrier, Zoey, likes to eat the hay that falls on the floor. Today when I opened the hay box, she shoved her whole nose in it (and she has a big one).

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I use large terra cotta flower pots for my hay, so I just take the pot over to the big hay box, shove a HUGE handful in nice and tight and then walk back over to the cage. A little tiny bit may fall out, but it's not much of an issue.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I can't do it either. I put mine in a plastic trash bag and hold it over the cage, then pull some out.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I have a small bad of hay so i just put the whole bag in the cage and take the hay out of the bag there and put it in the cage.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I leave the boxes of hay in the same building with my horses alfalfa hay and use a thick plastic zippable bag some sheets came in to move a couple pounds of hay inside. I set the bag inside the box and shove some hay in then carry inside and dump it upside down in one of the cages. After every cage is filled I fill the bag and leave it sitting between 2 cages so I can add a few fresh handfuls every other day or so until I redo it all on cage cleaning day. The only mess in the house is around the cages and most of it is hay they've managed to pile high enough against the side that it gets shoved out. I also raised all the sides of the cages to 8" instead and have haylofts with coroplast all the way up 3 sides so I can pile hay to the top. There are a few stray pieces that find their way out into the hallway but I've rarely found it in any other rooms.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
Thank God for rechargable sweepers! I use mine twice a day when I spot clean the cages in the am and pm, which is when I feed my 4 boys. After scooping out the poo and putting in fresh hay and food there is always a mess. Then when I walk around I find that some has been transferred from my slippers to the rest of the house. That sweeper makes a trip around the whole house twice a day and picks everything up. The vacuum comes out once or twice a week to get to the stuff you can't see. Those sweepers are great and clean in minutes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.