Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners What Is THIS?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Fleece cage liner - Guinea Pig Cage Photos_

I have seen these pictures a lot lately. What I mean is, these pictures where the fleece goes up the sides of the Coroplast and fits really snug, what is it? I just lie down fleece and towels and call it good. But, the girls always end up ruffling the fleece up and whatnot.

Are those examples of liners? And how do I make my fleece snug like that? (basically, if those are liners, how do I make liners?) Is it OK that my fleece just sits on the bottom of the cage? Also, I just made liners for my Litter boxes, and I layered like this: Fleece, U-Haul pad, U-Haul pad, fleece. Is 4 layers too much (well I already made them, sooo.....) and do you think I layered in a good way?

Last edited:

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
It's basically a fleece liner with extra parts that go over the sides. There's a site that makes them for you like that, and you can buy them in pre-made C&C sizes:

(broken link removed)

Cavyness

Cavy Slave

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
is it easier to use for people and piggie?

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
is it easier to use for people and piggie?
If you only have a liner along the bottom of the cage and not the sides, some pigs will shift it around and bunch it up in some places, and expose corners of the coroplast. Not all pigs do this, but if yours does, then it'll hold the liner in place. It's probably a little more effort to put it in and remove, but probably not that much. And certainly easier than rearranging a bottom-only liner every day. lol

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
If you only have a liner along the bottom of the cage and not the sides, some pigs will shift it around and bunch it up in some places, and expose corners of the coroplast. Not all pigs do this, but if yours does, then it'll hold the liner in place. It's probably a little more effort to put it in and remove, but probably not that much. And certainly easier than rearranging a bottom-only liner every day. lol

I was just thinking:

Could I use bricks to hold down the points where my Piggies constantly ruffle it up? I have 2 bricks from my garden outside that are loose and don't really fit, so I brought them in. (washed them, of course)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Yes, you can use bricks. Just make sure there are no sharp edges. You can rub them against each other to remove the sharp edges.

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
Yes I wanted to use bricks for that in my cage but, they like to take investigating nibbles.
The brick might hurt him so I didnt do it

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can also wrap a piece of fleece over the brick.

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have hand made a kind of hybrid liner/bedpread. i cut the u-haul pad to fit the bottom of the cage, then cut one layer of fleece adding several inches around the sides. i sew the pad and fleece together at the edge of the pad, and then fold the extra fleece over the sides of the coroplast. i use binder clips to hold the fleece in place. sometimes, for extra stability i'll run an extra row of stitching a few inches in towards the middle - like sewing a square in the middle. hope that makes sense.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone.

Not trying to revive an old thread, or bumping it, but I found that this may be better than creating a new thread.

__

I made liners recently for my girls' litter boxes. I used U-Haul padding and fleece made into 4 layers.

Well, I want to make a liner for my whole cage now.

I want some opinions on a few things and some answers to some questions I am having:

1: What is everybody's opinion on U-Haul pads VS. Towels? I really want to try U-Haul pads because of the fact that they dry so quickly versus towels.

2: Can I completely replace towels with U-Haul pads? Or should I keep a layer of towels?

3: How much pad would I need for a 2x4 C&C cage? How much would 1 pad make? I have heard that 1 pad makes 2 sets of liners for a 2x4 cage.

4: How should I layer? My litter boxes are layered: Fleece, U-Haul, U-Haul, Fleece. Is 4 layers too much for my cage? I want to use just 3 layers like I have been with towels. Right now I have my cage like this: Fleece, towel, towel. Can I use just 3 layers?

5: Just overall opinions + pros and cons of U-Haul padding against towels.

__

Thanks!

teneraestnox

Cavy Slave
I know you've had some great answers about liners and such. And you probably really want that snug/tight look. I just wanted to throw this out there. My largest layers are 2x5 with about 5-6 inch high walls, and I have 3yd pieces of fleece. I haven't cut or modified it at all, I just lay it out and wrap it around the edges. There's a touch too much in length so one side invariably is a little bunchy. But if you take a little time with it, you can make it all nice and smooth and just as good as if you had sewed together a liner yourself. This is just a suggestion if you aren't crafty and/or are lazy like me! None of my babies mind, even when it bunches up on me. One day I will break my procrastination streak and make nice liners, but until then..! They are in love with getting under the fleece when they can pull it down. It's ridiculous!

I'll be honest and say I don't know a thing about u-haul pads. I can't imagine needing four layers. Well, at least, I can't imagine needing fleece on the bottom. Fleece is kind of expensive, depending. I wouldn't waste it like that. Though, I believe the argument is that u-haul pads will get beat up in the washing machine if they are out and about like towels. Maybe you could use a cheaper material on the bottom? If you already have the towels, I'd say keep with it. Towels will last a long time. :)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I know you've had some great answers about liners and such. And you probably really want that snug/tight look. I just wanted to throw this out there. My largest layers are 2x5 with about 5-6 inch high walls, and I have 3yd pieces of fleece. I haven't cut or modified it at all, I just lay it out and wrap it around the edges. There's a touch too much in length so one side invariably is a little bunchy. But if you take a little time with it, you can make it all nice and smooth and just as good as if you had sewed together a liner yourself. This is just a suggestion if you aren't crafty and/or are lazy like me! None of my babies mind, even when it bunches up on me. One day I will break my procrastination streak and make nice liners, but until then..! They are in love with getting under the fleece when they can pull it down. It's ridiculous!

I'll be honest and say I don't know a thing about u-haul pads. I can't imagine needing four layers. Well, at least, I can't imagine needing fleece on the bottom. Fleece is kind of expensive, depending. I wouldn't waste it like that. Though, I believe the argument is that u-haul pads will get beat up in the washing machine if they are out and about like towels. Maybe you could use a cheaper material on the bottom? If you already have the towels, I'd say keep with it. Towels will last a long time. :)

Thanks. I don't want to use fleece on the bottom, I just did for my litter boxes because they are..... well because they are litter boxes.

Honestly, I didn't have to use 2 layers of pad, I just did because I thought it would look nice. And it does.

Also, fleece by me is about 4 dollars per yard right now.

:)

Any more opinions?

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone.

Not trying to revive an old thread, or bumping it, but I found that this may be better than creating a new thread.

__

I made liners recently for my girls' litter boxes. I used U-Haul padding and fleece made into 4 layers.

Well, I want to make a liner for my whole cage now.

I want some opinions on a few things and some answers to some questions I am having:

1: What is everybody's opinion on U-Haul pads VS. Towels? I really want to try U-Haul pads because of the fact that they dry so quickly versus towels.

2: Can I completely replace towels with U-Haul pads? Or should I keep a layer of towels?

3: How much pad would I need for a 2x4 C&C cage? How much would 1 pad make? I have heard that 1 pad makes 2 sets of liners for a 2x4 cage.

4: How should I layer? My litter boxes are layered: Fleece, U-Haul, U-Haul, Fleece. Is 4 layers too much for my cage? I want to use just 3 layers like I have been with towels. Right now I have my cage like this: Fleece, towel, towel. Can I use just 3 layers?

5: Just overall opinions + pros and cons of U-Haul padding against towels.

__

Thanks!

I prefer Uhaul pads over towels, they dry faster and smell less. And yes, you can replace the towels with Uhaul pads, both would be unnecessary. One Uhaul pad will make two 2x4 liners, be sure to prewash them before sewing because they will shrink. Four layers sounds about right, you will need fleece around the Uhaul pads otherwise they'll shred with repeated washings. You can read about various opinions on bedding but honestly, you won't know which you prefer until you try them all yourself.

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
I prefer Uhaul pads or towels, they dry faster and smell less. And yes, you can replace the towels with Uhaul pads, both would be unnecessary. One Uhaul pad will make two 2x4 liners, be sure to prewash them before sewing because they will shrink. Four layers sounds about right, you will need fleece around the Uhaul pads otherwise they'll shred with repeated washings. You can read about various opinions on bedding but honestly, you won't know which you prefer until you try them all yourself.

Alright. Thanks! That is what I was thinking. I knew they dried faster. That's a good thing. Also, in your first sentence, did you mean "I prefer U-Haul pads OVER towels" ? You said or. Not over.

Just making sure!

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
Yes I meant to type 'over' but you read it before I had a chance to edit my post :p

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Yes I meant to type 'over' but you read it before I had a chance to edit my post :p

Alright.

So, I think I will work on some full-cage liners this week or weekend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.