Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have a question?

• Thread starter suzilovespiggie
  • Start date

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Right now I am feeding my 2 pigs, half timothy and half alfalfa. Peppi is 2 months old so he must have the alfalfa. Legelas is 1 and a half. I found a real good feed store near us. It sells timothy and alfalfa. It also sells a mixture of grass and alfalfa. I would like to buy a bale of hay as it is cheaper and fresher than store bought. Would the grass and alfalfa mixture be Ok, or does it have to be timothy? I will be storing the bale in my house covered. If it lasts for months will it still be good to feed the pigs? I know many of you use oxbow, but If I can get it fresh from the feed store is that ok instead of ordering it? I am going to be using oxbow for rat pellets as I cannot find a good sorce without corn anywhere, including the feed store. They sell good GP pellets made from timothy and no preservitives. Thank you for the info in advance.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Any good quality, fresh smelling, green grass hay is fine to feed pigs. I feed my own bermuda grass hay as I can't get timothy locally. When you store it though, make sure it can still breathe.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you LY, Bermuda grass grows everywhere here. I am going to the feed store in the AM. I will ask them if that is what is in the mix. I will get them the mix. I have prairie grass out where I live. I have been giving that to my pigs in the morning. The boys eat it right up. They like it better than their hay. It's getting hot here in AZ so it will not stay green for much longer, and I will then feed them fresh hay from the feedstore. I, like so many have found the store bought hay is not even for the birds. How do you make the hay breathe?
This may sound crazy, but the bale, is going into my shower stall standing up.
I don't use the stall. It will fit and it has a door so the cats can't get into it.
The top is open to air.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.