Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Anybody have rats AND guinea pigs

TCTrun

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted two baby beige/white male rats. They are insanely sweet and playful! I think I like rats better than guinea pigs, but I would never give up my little piggy furballs! Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had both. Has anybody made a cage for rats?

Peanutter

Cavy Slave
i have both and i wouldnt want to try to make a cage for a rat, much easier to buy one as rats are very smart and are very good escape artists (sometimes even escaping from the brought cages) As long as the cage is an adequate size for the number of rats you have and theres everything they need to be happy then there is really no reason why you cant just use a store brought cage, personally i would only use a propper cage for many many reasons. :)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I do not have rats now but have had them in the past. They do make marvellous pets.
check out Martin cages online. My daughter's rats lived in a 4 story Martin rat mansion. It was given to us when a friend gave us her skinny rats.
There is a rat section on the fourm. Also you can check out ratsrule.com for alot of rat information.

Frapplove

Cavy Slave
Rats live in my walls, does that count?

mistymu

Cavy Slave
Rats live in my walls, does that count?
lol - maybe....

I have both rats and GP - had my rats first, they are my second love(now my dog has passed on, my first has to be old cat :) )
I have all shop cages but the smallest I have is an RSK (of which I currently have 4 of them joined together),... I also have 2 large cages - in is called a chin cage and the other is a flight cage. I do also use GP/Rabbit cages for old rats

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I used to have rats but my last two passed away recently. I wouldn't build a cage. I havent looked into them too much but it just doesnt seem worth it to me. I got a ferret nation (for males. Critter nations are needed for most females). I LOVE that cage. I just like how you can customize it. When they were not needed I took out ramps to make them climb. I took out the middle shelf (in the single unit) and had a wide ofen cage for climbing. But when its needed you can put the middle and ramps back in. You can move the smaller half shelves around to get a different setup. I also likes how it has a good footprint (6 square feet).

theratwhisperer

Cavy Slave
I have 7 rats and 2 guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.