Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction impacted rectum help!

JosieGirl

Cavy Slave
any advice please. our (guess) 3 1/2 year old boy casper who is a long haired pig - not sure of exact breed, but for the past week we noticed an awful smell, on inspecting his rear end his rectum was rock hard - we did as the books suggest ie expanded his bum (bless - how undignified) held him over the loo and huge amount impacted, green poo came out. thought this had solved the problem, but 2 days later same hard lump in rectum needing help again to get it out - vile! should we take him to the vets - or?? many thanks

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
the second male i rescued had impaction problems - he is 5 years old or so. i have to help him push his poo out twice a day. the hope is that he'll improve, but i was told that once older males loose the muscle tone in their rectum, they may never get it back enough to poo on their own. so, my poor old man is good about my squeezing his butt, and some days he is able to poo some out by himself. yes, for some reason that impacted poo is especially smelly. poor little old men! he gets lots of hay and floor time, and that's really the best you can do. good luck!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
but i was told that once older males loose the muscle tone in their rectum, they may never get it back enough to poo on their own

Not necessarily true. Many pigs who were not previously fed appropriately, who had no companion, or lived in a small cage, become much better after getting the correct diet and exercise. I have had some pigs come into the rescue with horrible impaction problems that, after a month or so, only needed cleaning out once every few days, or even longer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.