Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps Home Made Version of this Coroplast Ramp?

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
Is there a way to make this with my leftover coroplast? I don't understand how they've given it that grip. Also, does anyone have any experience with how well these types of ramps work?

(broken link removed)

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Look on Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home for ramp ideas. If you just make a standard ramp with CoroPlast, it will look the same as that.

I use an extendable plastic tube for my ramp. :)

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
But just standard coroplast doesn't have the grip/ridges that it looks like their ramp has.. I'm confused =\

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
I have that ramp and it works well it just hooks onto the end of the metal grid

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
I have that ramp and it works well it just hooks onto the end of the metal grid

Ooh, I'm glad that it works well. And Stacy, would you agree that it's just regular coroplast? Or is there something done to it/special about it that it has given it beter traction?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
But just standard coroplast doesn't have the grip/ridges that it looks like their ramp has.. I'm confused =\

Like I said, look at the ramps on the home page. They have plenty of ideas. And for traction, just use some fleece or something like that. :)

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
Like I said, look at the ramps on the home page. They have plenty of ideas. And for traction, just use some fleece or something like that. :)

Zuidy, I've had dozens of different kinds of ramp designs over the years, many of them designed after the ones in the gallery and posted elsewhere on the forum. But I'm interested in how to replicate this specific one. Thanks for your help!

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
its all coroplast but the middle is ridge like that gives it traction that part is coroplast also. you could probably email the seller to see how they make the middle that way. Im not creative so I went ahead and bought it.

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
its all coroplast but the middle is ridge like that gives it traction that part is coroplast also. you could probably email the seller to see how they make the middle that way. Im not creative so I went ahead and bought it.

Somehow, I bet the seller is reluctant to give away their designs when they're selling them for $20 a pop. =\ But thanks so much for telling me a bit more about them!

lissie

Cavy Slave
The middle part looks like rubber mat you can find for drawers.

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave

grace505

Cavy Slave
BF, i used an old piece of carpet cut to fit down the middle and covered it with a sleeve of fleece because my boys eat just about anything BUT fleece!

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
The middle part looks like rubber mat you can find for drawers.
To me, it just looks like they scored away the top flat part of one side of the cloroplast.

grace505

Cavy Slave
So did you watch the video on the page? It says it's all coro, even the tread, "PVC coro" is exactly what he said. I would think that's hard on your pig's feet, but in comparison to wire grids, yes, much better. I wouldn't think that would be enough traction either. Check out the pictures on this site all of the ramps and materials people have used. As i stated, i used carpet that i attached and covered with a sleeve of fleece so they don't eat the carpet.

grace505

Cavy Slave
So did anyone see my comment and go watch the video? Near the end he said a five pound weight was equivalent to about four or five pigs. He must not have seen our pigs yet! :) My boys are only about six months old and already at or near the two pound mark. Anyway, BF, don't use just the coro. When he talks about using the grids in the video, he's indicating attaching them on top, which i wouldn't do, but attaching them on the bottom would give good strength and stability, as the video indicated. Just something strong on the bottom, yeah? Good luck!

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
I'll try both the scored coro and the rubber drawer liner and see which my hammies prefer. Thanks all for your input! It's been very helpful!

grace505

Cavy Slave
I'll try both the scored coro and the rubber drawer liner and see which my hammies prefer. Thanks all for your input! It's been very helpful!

I don't know if i would score it, though, i would think that's really rough on thier feet. Like how you get a papercut, i could see it sclicing their feet. Try the rubber grip thing, you could maybe zip tie it or glue it on and put something underneath for strength. I think they didn't just score it, it's made like that somehow.

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
I think it may be scored, actually. And it's just cut down to the edge of the coroplast so that it's soft, but still provides traction. Once I get the coro claw, I think it'll be an even finer edge.

lissie

Cavy Slave
This is what I was talking about when I said drawer liner. I meant ribbed shelf liner.
(broken link removed)

You said the ramp is for your hammy? Is that your piggy name or an actual hamster? If this is for hamsters, won't they chew coroplast to bits?

BFarnsey

Cavy Slave
My hamsters are in a C&C cage and haven't chewed at all. Putting them in a C&C cage with lots to do is much more entertaining than chewing on some plastic.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.