Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Yay adopting! :D

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Well as some of you know, I am adopting two more guinea pigs to add to the herd! :D I've been what they call "Pre-approved" as I guess I was the best option out of all the people they said were asking to adopt them. It is a mom who looks to be an american short hair, but I'm thinking she might be a mix, as she has really odd long hairs on her ears that I have never seen before. She is also white with chocolate patches like Godric. The baby...Well she is just the cutesiest thing I I ever seen! When the rescue sent me the pigture of her, I just burst out in to a long "Awwwwwwwwwwww!" She is white with chocolate and sand colored markings, and two different colored ears, one black and one brown. I couldn't see much else of her other then her head, so I can't wait to see how cute she looks! The people at the rescue said she was an abby, but I don't see an rosettes, so I'm thinking she is also a short hair. I have pigtures of them, however I can't post them because they aren't mine, but the second they get here I will be sitting by the cage snapping photos. xD Anyway, so they will be dropping them off in three days, they just have to check the gender of Phoenix and Godric to make sure they are both girls, as they don't want them to go to a home where they will just be breed. Ahhhhh I can't wait! xD

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Oh, how exciting! You sound like you're about to burst from joy! I'm so happy for you!

Some pigs and pieces of longer fur, which I believe may be an indicator of a long haired family member in their gene pool. My Buttercup has a kind of "tail" that needs regular trimming. It might work the same thing with the ear hair. I'm not a piggie genetic expert,though. :p

I can't wait to see the pigtures!

GuineaQueen

Cavy Slave
Lovely names here too! So many nice names i am hearing today! Congrats! :)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Congrats on the additions to the herd, and thanks for adopting!

I'm thinking she might be a mix, as she has really odd long hairs on her ears that I have never seen before

She could have some silkie in her. I am fostering two silkies at the moment, and one is a mix who has a long "tail" and really long strands on each ear.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Oh, how exciting! You sound like you're about to burst from joy! I'm so happy for you!

Some pigs and pieces of longer fur, which I believe may be an indicator of a long haired family member in their gene pool. My Buttercup has a kind of "tail" that needs regular trimming. It might work the same thing with the ear hair. I'm not a piggie genetic expert,though. :p

I can't wait to see the pigtures!

Haha yeah I am, it has been so hard to try and find anyone that had girls to adopt that I thought would get along with Phoenix and Godric, since Phoenix has a really dominate personality so over time it has just made me want them some much more! :D That's what I was thinking also, and they look so very cute on her. Her hair also looks a little longer then most short hairs.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Lovely names here too! So many nice names i am hearing today! Congrats! :)

Thanks :) Fus and Ro Dah come from a game called Skyrim, Phoenix came from the fact that she is really roan but looks white, and Godric comes from a show.

GuineaQueen

Cavy Slave
Our girls have those lovely silky strands from their ears and lower back. It is a really quirky look i think, very beautiful!

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
How do I go about this?

Well the adoption people emailed me about Fus and Ro Dah and confirmed that they will be bringing them over on the 23rd. There are just somethings he said in the email that I do not understand: "The two girls (He's talking about Fus and Ro Dah) will be moving in with there new cage mates. Which I learned will be two females (Godric and Phoenix) Please make sure you wash the whole cage, bowls, water bottles, and all of that with bleach. Then put them all back in the same day that we drop them off. But not with your current piggies. Once they meet outside of there cage for a few minuets they will all move in together."

So first off, I learn that bleach is not safe to use on anything for guinea pigs...That's true right? I have a different cage for them so that they can become calm and used to everything before they meet Godric and Phoenix, however it sounds like he is telling me to have them meet on the same day. Am I wrong in what I was going to do or...? Though I don't understand some off what he has said as it seems he doesn't speak good English. I also don't quite understand how we will be able to talk, because he is also deaf, and I only know a little bit of sign language.

So I'm just wondering, should I do what he told me about the bleach, and moving them into the same cage sooner, or not? And also if anyone has any tips on how to communicate with him, do to the language barrier and the fact that he can't hear what I say.

Thanks! :D

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I merged your two threads--otherwise the second was hard to understand for those who hadn't read your first thread.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Oh ok thanks! I didn't think about doing it that way lol

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I really feel that even if you get them from a great place, you should still do at least a 2 week quarantine. This lists reasons why one may skip it, but still encourages quarantine: https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html

Pure white vinegar is antibacterial, and I don't feel bleach is ever necessary. I *am* a Seattle hippie,though.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's what I was thinking, however it might be kinda hard to tell him he's wrong, we he owns a guinea pig rescue xD That's what I normally use for all my cage cleaning. Bleach just seems like it would be really unsafe.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
If you are adopting these from a reputable guinea pig rescue you do not need to quarantine. Guinea pig rescues quarantine all of their animals and do not adopt out pigs that are ill.

I would just clean the cage as you normally would, with water and vinegar. Introduce all of the pigs on neutral territory with lots of hay and snacks to distract some of their energy, and after everything has gone well for a bit, move them in together to their new cage. More info on intros can be found here if you are confused: Guinea Pigs Social Life

Speaking of, how big of a cage do you have for all four?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I was just thinking that it would be better to have them in there own cage, so that they can get used to all of the new stuff, and also get over the stress of moving, before having them go through the stress of introducing all of them. Yep, I made sure to read basically everything out there on the web about introducing guinea pigs and such before even thinking about adopting more. xD

The cage that I have for them is in a L shape, and the first part is made up of a 2x5 section, and the second part is made up of a 3x5 section with a 1x1 loft sorta thing made out of an old store cage. But the grids are really big (Not the gird spaces just the whole grids) So I'm guessing it is about 30 square feet not including the hay loft sorta thing xD

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Also, there has to be obligatory arrow to the knee jokes when they move in, and possibly some humorous (and poorly done) photoshop technique applied to their pigtures.

Hey, I don't make the rules. I just follow them.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
xD So true, so true. It has to be done!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You should show us a picture!!!!:D

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I don't have any pigtures of them yet, just the ones that the adoption place sent me, but I can't wait to take some! They are sooooo cute!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You can't show those? :'(

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it would be ok to post pics that they took/own

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.