Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General UHaul pad questions.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
I have been reading up on the threads about Uhaul pads but still have a few questions. Do you have to wash it a bunch of times before using? If so, how do you know when it has been washed enough. I have to pay for laundry and it would suck to pay a lot. I REALLY want to clean out the boys cage tonight and just throw a uhaul pad in there right now. Can I do that? I wasn't going to cut it (or try not to) so that I can wash it and allow it to shrink. I was told the uhaul pads should not go into the dryer so I will have to let it air dry which in return will make it so I can't change the cage til Tuesday. So I guess my main point is can I just throw a uhaul pad in there right now while I prepare the other one?? Thanks guys!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I had the same situation. I folded the Uhaul pad and threw it in there, and it was fine. I took the second Uhaul pad, and washed it 3 times, like the fleece, because I was told to. Then I cut it to the size of the cage, and sewed it into a "pillowcase" (closed on all 4 sides, tho') I made from old sheets. I was also told that doing this makes the pads last longer. So, yes, you can change the cage tonight.

BTW, I take all of the bedding to the laundromat and use the triple loader machines. More water and agitation = cleaner bedding. Besides, I can't risk all that weight and volume breaking my machine at home. I don't think my machine would do a good job, or be able to handle the weight. Those Uhaul pads get really heavy when soaked.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The Uhaul pad is considered the absorbant layer and doesn't need to be washed 3 times initially, like the fleece does.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Sweet, that is what I like to hear! Thanks CavyMama!

And thanks PetLovr, I will definitely take this stuff to the laundromat! What is this "pillow case" everyone is talking about? Is that just saying that you wrap fleece around the uhaul pad and just sew it up. That will wash just fine in the washer?

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I am going to put it in the cage while I prepare my other uhaul pad. I am not going to sew anything right now! Thank you for the washing instructions! That helps me a lot! And that is a good deal, how much the pads make when it comes to liners :)

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
What is this "pillow case" everyone is talking about?

Think of a pillow case, but one that is big enough to fit your cage. You would then take the Uhaul pad, single or double layer, whichever you want, and slide it in the "pillowcase" so it lays flat. Sew the open end shut, and then just take needle and thread, and every foot or so, go down through the layers from the top, turn around and come back up from the bottom (very close to where you pushed the needle down), tie a knot, and clip the thread. This makes the Uhaul pad last longer in the wash, and the up and down knotted thread keeps the pad from sliding around inside the "pillowcase".

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Nice, I am definitely going to have to try that! Thanks so much for all advice!

msmonih

Cavy Slave
Great thread. How much did the uhaul pad cost. Would a duvet cover work as a pillow case for the pad.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
I paid $7.95 for one! Not bad at all. Much better than towels! I am not sure about the duvet covers, hopefully someone else does! :)

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
Maybe I'm the only person to experience this then, but I didn't wash my first UHaul pad and then went to wash it after the first week with my brand new sunshine yellow fleece. After the pigs and I waited the 30-40 mins of the washing machines cycles in much anticipation for cage cleaning, I went to unload the washer and found that I now have a 3yd piece of light green fleece and a UHaul pad.

Definitely wish I would have just sewn it to something or created a "pillowcase"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.